1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help ticking, could it be sparkplug wires?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by McNasty, Apr 23, 2007.

Social Buttons
  1. McNasty

McNasty The Conductor

So about a month ago I ran some seafoam. The next day I changed the oil and noticed it had a ticking sound. It's coming from the passenger side and it is constant. At first I figured it was a crack in the manifold. So I picked up some mac shorties and new gaskets and threw them on. It was still ticking. So I then thought it might be lifter tick, I put in some marvel mystery oil and nothing. I changed my plugs and wires about 6 months ago and someone told me that a bad wire can cause a ticking sound. Is this true? What should my next course of action be? I'm lost.

Edit: Mod this may be an electric question just remembered something.

***The other day I tried to tighten all the header bolts just to make sure that wasn't the issue. The car was off and I had the boot cover removed from the second plug to give me more room. When I was tightning the bolt I think my wrench hit the spark plug sticking out and it sparked and made me drop the wrench. If the engine wasn't on and the sparkplug wasn't getting fire then why would it spark when grounded???

Thanks
  2. 2KSTANGFIRE

2KSTANGFIRE New Member

It should not. Spark plugs dont hold a charge. Niether does the engine. Do you have a bad wire that is arching to a ground point. Maybe a small burn spot from being to close to the header ?
  3. McNasty

McNasty The Conductor

See that's what i don't get, there is no reason for it to spark unless the engine was holding a charge and I grounded it out. I haven't noticed any arching. I'm gonna wait until tonight and see if I can see any sparking in the dark. I'm pretty clueless as to why or what is ticking. :confused:
  4. 2KSTANGFIRE

2KSTANGFIRE New Member

A good tick is usually one of two things. An electrical arch (like from plug wire) or and exhaust leak. The exhaust leak will sometimes change tone or go away after the car warms up. A valve tick can be heard from under the valve cover. Put a long screw driver handle to your ear, and the other end touching the valve cover. Workes like an amplifier. Be sure you dont have a spark plug wire arching first, it can make the screwdriver test..........interesting. :uhh:
  5. McNasty

McNasty The Conductor

Since I put on new headers I've ruled out exhaust leak...already rechecked all the bolts 3 times +.

It is a pretty loud distinctive tick, not like usual exhaust fluttering sounds.

What is the best way to trace down possible arching? The night time trick or is there something else?
  6. 2KSTANGFIRE

2KSTANGFIRE New Member

There is another way.... but it hurts.

I would just put on some gloves and follow your wires. If there is an arch, when you pull the wire far enough away from metal it will quit.

If the wires are fairly new, you should be able to see a burnt spot from where it was rubbing on a header. If thats what your problem is.
  7. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Wait until dark and run the engine with the hood up. You'll see the arch.
  8. Goindeafonmtx

Goindeafonmtx The One Upper

This maybe obvious, but are you sure you aren't hearing your injectors?
  9. StangMod

StangMod Steven @ VAP Auto

I receintly had a spark plug boot slip off. It made a very loud ticking sound and I could see a huge arc coming from the end of the boot. The car ran like crap too.

Try putting your old stock wires back on, (if you still have them) just to see if you have a bad wire.
  10. McNasty

McNasty The Conductor

Ok I checked last night and didn't see any arching at all. I looked over the wires and they all seem to be fine.

I also put a screwdrive to the valve cover and everything sounded fine.

However when I put the screwdriver to the upper intake and listened I could definitley hear a distinctive tick. So would this be one of the injectors?
  11. Goindeafonmtx

The injectors will tick. Its common. You probably don't have a problem.
  12. McNasty

McNasty The Conductor

The car is running fine, is just more annoying than anything. I have already run seafoam and marvel mystery oil and it's still there. I wish there was an easy solution, but I'm not all too worried about it I guess. Would running 93 for awhile possibley make it quieter?
  13. smallv6

smallv6 my friend has a 3.8

which part of the engine did you put the seafoam through? oil, fuel, or vacuum line?
  14. Goindeafonmtx

Running 93 won't make them any quieter.
  15. McNasty

McNasty The Conductor

I put most of it through the vacuum line, and about 1/4 in the oil about a day before the last oil change.
  16. smallv6

smallv6 my friend has a 3.8

well, if it's an injector (possible i suppose), then you shoud put it in the fuel. that way it'll go through the injectors. but if an injector is ticking, maybe it's about to go bad? maybe not? not sure. my stealth motor always ticks, half lifter tick, half larger injectors which is normal for these injectors.
  17. Jansen

Jansen New Member

hey i was just going to say i have the same problem. i ran seafoam and got the tick. i had it before but that seemed to make it louder. anyways i narrowed it down to the manifold, so now that people say it could be the injectors, i bet that's what it is. i wouldn't worry unless your car runs bad. anyways i also wanted to say i love the train horns. where did you get them and how you running them?
  18. minc2_2000

minc2_2000 New Member

i had the same thing happen with mine. dono what it ever was but the only thing i could come across is when i changed my head gaskets the side (drives) that i heard it from but it was doing just like you state. sounds like the lifters but comes loudest from around the top of the intake. well i changed the headgakets and all the bolts were looser then the other side. so maybe thats what was causing it.. after i got the new gaskets and i put supercoupe heads on and no more tick. just that nosy TOB.. damn that thing.
  19. 97mustang3.8l

97mustang3.8l $500 DX Killa

hey this thread is really old but the same thing happened to me and it was my pcv valve so i dont know if you fixed yours or not but if anyone else has this problem after seafoam its probably the pcv valve.
  20. cobra232

cobra232 New Member

bad pcv will flutter making a ticking sound also after running seafoam through the intakes, removes all the oil deposits built up on the valves. the buildup will quiet ticking but kills performance. remove the buildup and the valvetrain nois becomes louder. because our heads are aluminum we tend to hear our vavletrain alot more. it's probably nothing to worry about