Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with project engine

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Wyldkat_Murray, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Wyldkat_Murray

Wyldkat_Murray Had a stang, miss her.

I'm in the process of planning for a project 5.0, but need help in finding out where to start looking. I want an engine that can be used as a daily driver (all accessories, even AC), but don't know exactly what I am getting into. I know that I can get a new rotating assembly pretty easy, and fairly cheap, but as far as putting on the alternator, AC pump, etc, I am lost. Where can I find a place to get answers?

And yes, I have officially given up on the Stratus. I could only find a RICE bodykit, CAI, and pulleys for it, so that project died before it had an undeserved chance.

I'm not worried about tranny, suspension, or body right now, just need to know what I should do about the engine situation. ;)

2. Belmont

Belmont The word of reason.

Get a crate 5.0 that comes stock with 345HP. They are about 3400 I think. They are badass engines... In a 5.0 that would get you high 12's low low 13's...

3. CougarStang

CougarStang I do my own stunts

Congrats on the decision to go 5.0. If you wanna know what you're getting into, it's a cheaper, easier project compared to almost anything else that's out there. aftermarket's gargantuan, and it's nothing short of a pleasure to work on a 5.0. You won't be disappointed

4. Kirbykajin

Kirbykajin axe'm Jacks!!

skip the crappy ford racing motor, it comes with hypertectic pistons and just stock rods and gt 40 aluminum heads, and $hitty B cam. too much money for what you get.

Find a 5.0 block, if you have the money get an SVO block or one of the new dart blocks.

Have it machined and cleaned up and bored .030 over. Then get you a nice rotating assembly of your choice, using forged pistons and rods. ANd either go with a lower compression or higher compression piston depending on the setup you want, boost of juice. Eagle makes some good stuff, and there cheap might want to check them out, or manley.

THen for the heads go with something like AFR 185's, or Brodix, or dart. All of those are great but kind of pricey, and make sure you get the bigged valved versions, with the 2.02 intake and 1.87 exhaust. If you want to go cheaper and still have good quality you can go with trickflow, and then get them ported a little bit and they will work well as well.

Now for the cam, stay away from ford racing cams, either get a custom grind or go with a TFS stage 1 or 2 depending on you application.

I love the 5.0 motor and its so veritile and a lot of fun. They also love boost and can be made into monstors with a nice turbo setup. Also you might want to look in to getting some more cubes out of the motor and stroking it to either 331 or 347, good way to get some more horses.
    well have fun, if you have any questions i would love to answer them for you.

5. Flex

Flex Kicker of Arrogant Asses

Kirby,
    He is not saying he wants to go boost or giggle juice so why bother with forged "let me take a mortgage out on my house" parts. I built a 500 hp 460 using hyper KB pistons with no problems.

I believe that it could be built cheaper but there is a lot of hassle with that as well.

AFR and Brodix heads are monster money and not for a street driver. Those heads are for race cars that need maximum airflow with huge cams. Just those heads could almost pay for a crate motor.

The aftermarket rods are good , but not a requirement until 425+ hp

6. White88GT

White88GT New Member

Flex, that is SOOOOO wrong. AFR has different heads for different apps. Their 165 is a basic street head, the 185 is a bit higher rpm 302 or good street strip head for 347/351. Then they have the 205, and the newer bigger heads, that are more race oriented.

Look at the crate engines the Central Coast Mustang offers. They have a good variety of power levels.
    Phil

7. Flex

Flex Kicker of Arrogant Asses

Phil,
    These are not the bottom basement AFR/Brodix heads.

" THen for the heads go with something like AFR 185's, or Brodix, or dart. All of those are great but kind of pricey, and make sure you get the bigged valved versions, with the 2.02 intake and 1.87 exhaust."

8. 99BlackStangMan

99BlackStangMan Saleenized Sixer

my friend has AFR 185 heads on his 87 stang......it has the intake/cam to match so it all works.....and he sprays a 125 shot....its badass. The 185's may not be the best street head, but they will work.

It all really depends on how much money you have to spend. You can always call up someone to build you a short block, and get them to bore it over .030. Theres dozens of companies that sell great heads for 5.0's....intakes and cams as well.

As for the rotating assembly....i'd get manley rods, and JE pistons and rings.

As for installing the alternator, do you need a used/new one? or are you trying to install it? Im sure a local junk yard has them for sale......or you can search online/mags. Installing them...just look online, there are plenty of write ups.....just gotta find em!

As for the stratus....congradulations on selling it, they are POS's!
    :p

9. Wyldkat_Murray

Blackstangman, didn't sell the stratus, it's just going to be my daily driver in college. I'll be travelling a lot, so I have to keep it. The 5.0 is just the engine I want to build for a project car on the weekends while at home.

Also, I think I found the car that I will start working on. No engine, tranny, or wheels. Glass and a few body parts are missing, so basically, everything will be replaced but the frame and rear. I've been looking for a few weeks, and found it right under my nose, about 500 feet from my house that some farmer keeps around.

And no, I don't want to run NOS or any kind of forced induction, just a nice little 375-400 HP engine that runs from the HCI combo. High compression and no boring or stroking (347's have a habit of cracking cylinder walls, and this is just going to be a weekend car, not a racer). Pretty much being built for driving on the weekends, car shows, and the occaisional 1/4 mile.

But any recommendations as far as the A/C and such? I know the parts aren't hard to find, but will they work on crate motors?

10. Kirbykajin

Kirbykajin axe'm Jacks!!

as long as you have the brakets for the ac, power steering and what not, it will bolt up to the crate motors.

As far as the 347 cracking the cylinder walls, those problems have been fixed, Coast high performance and many other places can build the 347 and there will be no burning oil problems or any other things of that nature. They have come a good ways with those strokers.

Flex, you might as well build the motor to be bad ass. If you going to be building one, build it right once, dont build it wrong 3 times.. And for a nice little weekend racer or cruiser like this is goign to be. THe spray would be perfect for it. Jsut have a nice little wet kit, just incase that motor is not enough. Its always nice to have just a little more.

KEITH BLACK PISTONS SUCK!!! hehe, sorry bad experiences with them, but im sure other people like them and your right you cant beat the price on them.

Is this motor going to stay fuel injected?? Im assuming it is. Not really a reason to go carb, Just curious.
    Man i wish i had a 5.0 I have some many ideas of what i would want to do. Just dont have any money to get a second car :(

11. Wyldkat_Murray

Yeah, it will be a fuelie. They are just easier for me to work on, probably because they are all I have worked on. The wet kit (maybe a 75 or 100 shot) might go in, but this car will pretty much be built from the ground up. New engine, body, drivetrain, and interior. I will just use the sound system from my v6 (RIP).

As for the rest of the car, I plan on making the body just a standard LX (hatchback) with a cobra R hood, maybe a 1.5 or 2 inch cowl on it. Mild drag suspension, mainly just shocks, struts, chassis strengthening, and maybe a K-member if I have 2K just laying around, but I doubtt it. Dark, dark blue with white racing stripes. Interior will be black carpet, dash, and other panels. White seats and a few white panels.

Still debating on dropping in a C4 or a 5-speed, but that decision will be made once I get the car. But you really should see the car now. Looks like one of the biggest POS's around. :p