Hey guys im new...and I have some questions.....

ROGUE06

Hey everyone, found this board through a search, it seems very cool and informative. I am 16, had my liscense for a month, and I drive a 98 Silver Auto Mustang Coupe. I had some questions that hopefully someone can tackle.

First off, whats better on gas mileage and whats better when I want to get maximum speed in the quickest time when Overdrive is on or off?

Are the specs on a 98 Mustang the same as newer 99-04 models like Horsepower, Torque and so on?

Also how many speakers are present on a standard 98 stock Stang? I've noticed my friend's 2002 has Mach 460 sound on the top of his door and I do not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

KTBug

- Kris -
Overdive is for gas mileage ONLY!!! I don't know where everyone gets the idea that their car is faster by turning it off. Leave it on and forget about it!

CODY2003

Ya, I'm still here. ;)
The specs on the 98 are like the 94-97 before it and the 99+ is different.
Your friends speakers are different because you don't have Mach 460 sound. ;)

ROGUE06

Yea I wish it had Mach 460 sound, so how many speakers does a Standard 98 stock have and how bout the 99+?

Goin2shock

Hey everyone, found this board through a search, it seems very cool and informative. I am 16, had my liscense for a month, and I drive a 98 Silver Auto Mustang Coupe. I had some questions that hopefully someone can tackle.

First off, whats better on gas mileage and whats better when I want to get maximum speed in the quickest time when Overdrive is on or off?

Are the specs on a 98 Mustang the same as newer 99-04 models like Horsepower, Torque and so on?

Also how many speakers are present on a standard 98 stock Stang? I've noticed my friend's 2002 has Mach 460 sound on the top of his door and I do not.

www.themustangsource.com has all Mustang Hp/Tq numbers.... 4 speakers on a stock stang and they are 5x7 I think or 6x8s I can't remember, they are all the same size...
u can buy the tweeter for the door if you want just look around...
www.ageclassic.com
www.cal-mustang.com
www.mustangs-unlimited.com
www.mustangsalvageparts.com

Dutch

ROGUE06 said:
So in any kind of driving overdrive will always be more effective for gas mileage?
No, if you're going up a hill, it's often more economical to shift out of overdrive. You get the best gas mileage when your foot is farthest from the floor.

SNA

5 6x9s wont sound as good as 2 6x9s 2 5inchers and a Sub. What does it matter how many speakers you have? lol

00_StalkinStang

y0 man yeah i found that website and got all happy cause it had so much for mustangs and well now im glad i never ordered from them i was going to order a body kit but luckily found one some where else that sucks though about them

KTBug

- Kris -
Altiman94 said:
I think you mean a 5th gear? :uhh:
See, you guys read way too much into the term overdrive. All it means is a gear has a ratio of "less than 1" to 1. That's it! There's no magic involved. It's the same as every other gear except the ratio. I suppose you could call all the other gears underdrive. Geez, it's just a name!

SFrymyah

Hi, I'm Steven
ROGUE06 said:

maybe i can kill all the birds in one post.

For better gas mileage, stay out of the gas and stay on the highway. its obviously a lot better there. Overdrive - turn it on - forget about it. all it is is another gear with a pretty green light on the dash. i dont know why these morons think it makes a difference with it on or off. it doesn

the 98 Mustang is rated with 150 HP and 215 ft-lb of torque. Torque is fun.
the split port intake on the 99+ gives a the extra 40 some horses we are missing. a swap can be done, but dont ask me how.

on the stock v6, w/o mach stereo there are four speakers. one in each door and two in the back. they are all 6x8's, but a 5x7 will fit just fine. the Mach system is an upgrade to the stock system with more speakers and amps and so on. its pretty killer.

hope this was helpful.

Secret1

I'm kinda confused about my system, '96 v6 I have the tweeters in the window, but there these small ones not the little box like speaker that i've seen on most mustangs. I'm not sure what is in the door, but when i was looking over a service manuel it shows on the door there are the spear at the window then another tweater in the door (i believe a 3 1/4) and then the 6x8. I'm pritty sure thats for the mach system but are those holes already in the door can i put tweeters in there? Also in the back i'm not sure what the owner did to the speakers, i just know when i finally go the car i looked at the back speakers and they were 2 5 1/2 screwed into a piece of wood with carpet on top (i was kinda pissed when I saw that) but there were 4 holes which looked like 2 6x8 and 2 3 1/4. Is this correct, i'm trying to re-do the entire system but I'm not sure what will fit and is avalibe. is there 2 speakers inside the door panel? or right now to the have 2 holes in the door panel and 1 speaker?