Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

High output alternator?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by HumanSVD, Apr 14, 2019.

1. HumanSVD

HumanSVD New Member

If I put a 200 amp alt in my car, any other mods I need to do? My current one isn't charging up to par amd I'm running a headlight harness relay setup. I thought about putting this in instead of the standard 105.

Is it worth using this alt or should I just buy a new 105 amp?

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

I have used a 200 amp alternator for the last 4+ years with no issues. Power Bastards sell one that will fit the V-6 Mustang. Would say to forget the 105 amp model with a add on headlight system.

3. HumanSVD

HumanSVD New Member

Well, I just replaced the tensioner, idler pulley and belt (Gatorback by continental), and the power output is strong. It was 11.85 to 12.1 running, now it's 13.9 to 14v.

Looks like the alternator wasn't the issue. I think I'll see how the lights are at night first before buying a new alternator. Good to know I have a source on a high output one though.

4. HumanSVD

HumanSVD New Member

I looked at your link, and I'm probably going to replace my stock one for as a spare for the one in your link.

If I change it out, is there anything else I got to do? Like change fuzes or wiring anywhere?

5. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

No other changes needed. All fuses same. Wiring same. And, it's a perfect fit. If battery gets low for some reason, running the motor will recharge the battery quickly.

HumanSVD likes this.