1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

homemade supercharger?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 94blackstang, May 6, 2002.

Social Buttons
  1. 94blackstang

94blackstang New Member

ok, there has got to be a way to make a homemade supercharger. im not talking 65-100 hp here, im thinkin maybe 10-15 additional rwhp by somehow making forced air into the stock intake tube? only thing is, how do you get that much forced air from something already working on the car(ie. air conditioner, fan...) if somehow, someone could think of a way that if given a small amount of air from say ram air, it could multiply the force by about 3 times and push it through the intake. i know people have good ideas on this site, so start posting ideas for this thread. would a little fan possibly work that could get spinning really quick? or is that the same as the Spiralmax crap?
  2. 94blackstang

94blackstang New Member

how exactly does the inside of a supercharger like vortech's work? where does it draw air from? and what is used inside to create such a large amount of boost?
  3. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

Superchargers use impellers or turbines. You can't use a fan. The blades aren't shaped right to hold any boost. If any boost builds up behind the fan blades it will just leak through the blades. Forget any type of fan ideas. They simply will not work.

What about some sort of compressed air system? It's only a thought but how would you let the MAF know about the additional air? I wonder if the compressed air system could be operated off of a solenoid that directly feeds air into the upper intake and also "tricks" the MAF with a "use on demand" computer program. You could use it like nitrous.

On 2nd thought, just get nitrous!!! I'm rambling! :D
  4. ffej7373

ffej7373 New Member

lol i had that same idea for a home-made s/c. I was thinking about using a leaf blower.. an electric one, all you would have to worry about is were to plug it in. But then again i dont know about the fan thing. But a leaf blower is pretty strong
  5. 98TXSilverStang

98TXSilverStang Moderator

You just basically described a dry nitrous system.
  6. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

LOL!! Good call Eddie! :D
  7. 98TXSilverStang

98TXSilverStang Moderator

The leaf blower will not work. It will be more work then it is worth.
  8. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

There used to be a site (electricsupercharger.com or something like that) that had a blower that ran off of 12V and made about 1-2 psi of pressure. The problem is that making electricity to run these things burns more hp than is being made. There is simply no way to make a fan operated device produce any kind of pressure.
  9. tbennett

tbennett Perkin Right Now...

I've seen some electric motors looking around the net that would spin fast enough to power a SC/turbo with a good stepup gear, "low" power draw, but they can only run for 2-3 minutes at a time then need to cool down for 30-60 minutes.....
  10. DEBT_COLLECTOR

DEBT_COLLECTOR New Member

LOL on this whole thread! Better yet, we all know someone who farts a lot. How about a methane injected stang! 59 cents for a can of beans and 1.00 for some flex tubing!
  11. StangvsVWBug

StangvsVWBug Driver

I made an electric blower out of a bilge blower fan that cost me 15 bucks. I hooked it up and the thing does a whole lot of nothing it just makes a cool noise when you turn it on in front of your friends.:D . Or in other words electric blowers blow.
  12. Leon

Leon Well-Known Member

for whoever wants to put a leafblower inder their hood....:rolleyes:
  13. MNeofreek

MNeofreek New Member

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

I would put a team of rats on treadmills under my hood if it meant that I could gain horsepower...:D
  14. IImirageII

IImirageII New Member

ok explain this to me real quick
    spend 300$ for 1psi averaging to 10hp wich u wont even get at the wheels.
    Or save up another 160$ and buy a 75 shot of nos.

to me its easy i go for the nos. as for what you want to do its your money spend it as you want but ive heard of those about 1 ur ago on a different message board for my older car a ford probe and we discussed it and we act had someone who had installed one on a mustang and the fricken blade came loose and got sucked into the intake wich then went into the heads and so forth all in all mesed up his motor pretty bad just for 10hp. before you go bolting something on make sure it can withstand what its being put aginst. to yo the engine dont suck hard but your also not right infront of the intake being sucked on its a very strong pull when the tb is at wot. if its a custom sc setup you want
    do 2 options one is buy a used centrifical supercharger "vortec or paxton" then do a homemade bracket to get it aligned with the belt system making sure everything works fine there then its just the fact of routing the sc to the intake and of course installing a bypass for the extra boost when at idle kinda like a bov for a turbo. then its all gravy baby except tuning it and your ecu and gthen the fuel system etc etc.

lol alot of horsepower costs money anyway you try to get around it. in the long run you will want to have just saved up and got the sc kit then gone thru the hassel of designing your own and finding all the problems etc.
  15. V6PonyBoy

V6PonyBoy Up and coming

Okay, I know nothing about superchargers or anything like that, but i know that cooler air is more dense, so you get more of it. This may sound stupid, but is there a way that you could rerout the AC to the intake? I realize there wouldn't be any psi and that this would draw some HP, but would it add more than it would take? I'm sure that if this worked, somebody would have done it already, but just a thought.
  16. Tiresmoke

Tiresmoke One Twisted SMF!

I saw some guy route his ac to his intake on a web page a while ago. It was on his caddilac. He said it made no noticeable difference. By the way the electricsupercharger.com things are a waste of money. I know from experience dude, if ya know what I mean.

BTW- Don't buy mine, some rice-burner kid wants it. I said sure, it will just present a restriction in his intake.
  17. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

Rerouting the A/C to the intake will do nothing. Whatever you might gain from it would be sucked away from parasitic drag on the engine.
  18. MNeofreek

MNeofreek New Member

If you were to reroute the a/c would you use the cold air that it would push out? Or just warm compressed air? If it were cold air you may see some increase kinda like a crappy supercharger.

Could it some how be possible to use like an old refrigerator compressor hooked up to the battery or something? Maybe you could create some cool compressed air going into the intake. Just and idea.
  19. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

For all the trouble that it would be and all of the money that you would spend on trying to get it to work, just buy a supercharger.
  20. IImirageII

IImirageII New Member

not to mention what happens when hot air and cold air mix??

if you dont know condensation. meanning water in the engine.

still want to do it?

=)

if u want cheap horsepower port polish your intakes and tb then get a sneaky pete nitrous kit for like 150$

just my idea if your broke and want some hp.