Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How Many Pounds of Sand do I use?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by GTPonyRide, Jan 4, 2005.

1. GTPonyRide

GTPonyRide New Member

I have a 2004 Automatic GT Mustang. New to the winter rear wheel drive thing and even with my traction control, I've fishtailed a couple of times in the rain. I bought 100 lbs of cat litter to weight the trunk down today as we're expecting 12 inches of snow in the next couple of days. Is this enough? Or do I need more? My camaro friend told me the cat litter thing so I can just reuse it for my cats later on. I put three 20 lb bags in the immediate back and 1 other 20 lb bag right there on the other 2 sides. Been reading that people put stuff in the back seat too. Thanks anyone! :)

2. zoopa_man

zoopa_man Pro Snow Driver DRIFT!

I leave my dual 12" sub box in all winter long. That weighs about 60lbs Then I'll add 50lbs or kitty litter, 25 to each side. That seemed to help but wasn't ever great last year. This year I got some Dunlop graspic II snow tires and have done a lot better so far. We had 3" of snow on the roads a week ago and I was fine.

One trick you can do is if your just spinning the tires from a stop you can try taking off in 2nd gear instead. This will kill the torque and should allow you to get moving if your on ice.

Another thing I’d highly recommend is to find your self an empty parking lot and go do some doughnuts, slam on the brakes, slide sideways, turn sharp. All in the name of practice. The you'll be familiar with how your car reacts during a slide. It will keep you out of the ditch if you ever get into trouble on the road.

3. GTPonyRide

GTPonyRide New Member

Thanks so much! :) I might just actually go try the parking lot thing tomorrow--seems like we are going to get the snow tonight. I might see about adding 60lbs more if need be and if I have the extra cash, look into the snow tires. Guess I'll see how it goes first for starters. Appreciate it!

4. ElectGreenv6

ElectGreenv6 ben

Im also new to winters with my mustang. I got some winter force tires (4 for $330) last week put on my car cause it was scary driving in the snow a few days earlier, not to mention getting stuck im my own driveway the week before. I also put 140 pounds of sand in the back(2 @70 lb. tube sands fit nice in the trunk was like 10 bucks at true value) I guess I'll find out as soon as it decideds to snow... rather then the 50 degrees that it is out right now.

5. GTPonyRide

GTPonyRide New Member

Did the $330 include the installation of the tires?

6. ElectGreenv6

ElectGreenv6 ben

yeah 330 installed... tires were 70 a piece

7. zoopa_man

I paid $88 each for the tires and install was included in the cost of the tires. Dunn Tire did a great job, in and out in 20 minutes. I saved the old tires. I was so happy with them that I recomended them to my father, when we went back the manager gave my dad a discount on his tires. Great guys.

8. zoopa_man

This many pounds ;) We got some snow, so I figured i'd show you how to drive in it. hehehe Enjoy. http://www.stangin.com/snowvideo.mpg

Thanks stangin' for hosting the vid. Your the man!

9. StangDoo98

StangDoo98 New Member

i bought my winterforces for $330 as well. but what i also get was get them studded. studding helps out so much in ice and snow, i just break the ice so easily and drive like its nothing. i paid total $382 for all 4 to be studded and the actual tires.

winterforces own man

10. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

240 lbs makes for some very very good winter handling. :thumbup: :thumbup: Of course there will be creaks but thats what the stereo is for. :D