Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How much boost on procharged 4.3?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Echonan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I'm planning a procharged stroker build. The engine I'm hoping to use has a 9.5:1 compression ratio with forged internals etc. (Super Six Motorsports 4.3 engine). My question is if it's feasible/possible to safely run 11 psi of boost from a prochager with that ratio on 93 octane gas and a good tune. If possible i'd like to avoid water meth or nos.

2. six gun

six gun Active Member

If you follow through with your build I'd love to follow it because that's exactly the kind of setup I'd like. Supersixmotorsports claims their forged 4.3 can handle 20psi pretty well.

Echonan likes this.
  3. Turbang_6

Turbang_6 3.8 Turbo Build Under Way

I'm pretty sure that 99oldhorse has that same CR and run's 20# of boost. His CR may be 9.1:1 but 9.5:1 sounds more like it. Are you getting a good deal on the 9.5:1 kit/ engine or why not just go with 8.5:1 or 8:7:1?

Echonan likes this.
  4. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

That CR is fine with 93 octane and 11lbs. I don't have any hard science to base that off of aside from that I ran 9:1 CR at 17lbs on 93 octane with no detonation using an air to air intercooler.

Echonan likes this.
  5. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

Thank you all for your input. That's what I was hoping to hear.

6. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I will try to make a build thread then. It might not be much of a build at first though because I'm planning on buying an engine and swapping it then boosting it once I save up more money again. Plus suspension and stuff.

7. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I hopefully will be getting a good deal on a used engine. I have limited funds and didn't want to go through the process of changing the ratio.

8. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

Yes I'm planning to use procharger and probably get the 3 core intercooler. I'm hoping that will be good enough

9. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Ran a ProCharger P1 then a D1 and eventually made 18 psi of boost and 542 rwhp. All at progressively more expense. Suggest you stick with a 3.4 inch pulley which will keep the boost around 11 psi. You should be able to make 350 to the wheels. Be happy with that and stay there. The cost and problem solving goes a lot higher when trying to go above 400. And yes, you need to get a 3-core intercooler. All types of boost increases intake air heat. Heated intake air greatly increases the chances of detonation. Detonation is tamed with more fuel in the cylinders, cooled intake air, engine timing, and higher octane. I also ran 9.5 compression and had a seriously built motor. Still do.

In addition to the built motor and ProCharger setup, you will need at least 42 lb injectors, and a higher flowing fuel pump and probably a fuel pump wiring upgrade if your car has a returnless fuel system. Once ProCharged, you will also need to switch spark plugs with a colder heat range as the stockers will break the ceramics and chew up your pistons and rings. You could also think about using a phenolic spacer between the upper and lower intake to help keep the intake air from heating up more than necessary.

Just keep throwing questions.

Echonan likes this.
  10. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

That is a very good compression for a centri blower. What head unit are you going to use? What cam are you going with? Something in the neighborhood of .600 lift will work great.

11. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

Thank you so much for that detailed response. This is the type of information I needed. Yes I don't plan on getting ridiculous 11 was the number of the stage 2 kit and it seemed like a reasonable target for my build. I don't plan on going any higher, just want a somewhat quick daily driveable car. I'm glad to hear it will work.

The P1sc vs D1sc what are your thoughts and what would the differences be at 11 psi? When getting colder spark plugs what do I look for to find the correct size?

12. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

Planning on using P1SC or maybe D1SC. The cam the engine comes with is a Comp Cam 44-703-9: ( http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=837&sb=2 )

13. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

That cam is better than stock but not the cam I'd choose for a 4.3l. If you haven't bought the setup yet I'd suggest to go turbo. I have a few tips on how to build your own kit.

14. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I'm buying the engine first then I gotta work on the money for the procharger. What makes you suggest turbo, because more power?

15. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I want to upgrade to a windstar intake down the road. Would that help keep intake temps down enough do you think or would you still possibly suggest a spacer?

16. Turbang_6

Turbang_6 3.8 Turbo Build Under Way

I don't think you can run a spacer with the windstar intake and clear with the stock hood.

Echonan likes this.
  17. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Yes, more power and more suitable for a built v6. For 400rwhp it's easier and cheaper to swap in v8. A built v6 will support 600-700rwhp before more upgrades are needed. How much power you want to make again? What have you bought already?

18. Echonan

Echonan Active Member

I only wanted to make around 300-400 whp. Keep it daily drivable. Also reliable. Wasn't trying to get crazy. At least not yet. I'm getting ready to buy the engine. Don't have much else yet. I'm trying to get the funds together.

19. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

The guy wanted to know if 11 lbs would be OK on 93 octane with a p1sc and you're telling him to go for 700hp with a turbo lol, I'm not opposed to it but The cost difference between 350hp p1sc vs a 700hp turbo is HUGE. Most p1sc kits go for 1500 bucks for almost everything and can be installed in a weekend. 2000 bucks for a 350ish hp v6 is still cheaper than building a carb'd 5.0 that can put out 350hp. Good afr/trickflow cyl heads for a 5.0 still go for a grand used.

20. Joel Maxwell

Joel Maxwell Member

also, if im not mistaken 350-400 doesnt even really require a built motor. if you want reliability though, you can nab the rotating assbly from a Thunderbird Super Coupe from 90+. forged crank and pistons, strong hypo rods.maybe im getting the rods and piatons mixed though.