Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How much power can a 3.8l make?

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 3.8_brody, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 3.8_brody

3.8_brody New Member

I have a 3.8l v6 out of a 1984 fox mustang in my 1993 fox mustang. It has aluminum heads on it as of now. I'm curious as to what I can get out of it power wise and what all I'd need to do? If I can get good numbers out of it I won't bother building a 302 until I'm tired of the v6. Thank you.

2. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Active Member

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Anything can make a bunch of power with enough time and money invested into it.

Pre-93 3.8's are even worse than 94-98 3.8s though.

To be honest it would be so much easier and cheaper to throw a 302 with ford explorer heads/Intakes and make 300hp than it would to build a single port 3.8 to make that kind of power.

By the way that exact comment got me banned from the 3.8/4.2 mustang group on facebook. I hope I dont get banned from here for speaking common sense..

4. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member Supporting Member

I think it would be cool to keep a 3.8 it the car. That’s exactly what I am going to do when I find a Foxbody in good shape locally. I had found a 89 and the deal fell threw. And I agree with what “fasterthanyou” said also it’s just I wanted to do something different this time because I have done the 302’s 351w’s and some big block stuff but I just got interested in the v6 stuff and have been ever since. Like he said it’s really all about what you have to spend and the work that you want to put in to it.