1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How to bypass anti-theft on 2000 mustang

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by stephbbbb, Mar 26, 2006.

Social Buttons
  1. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

Hello, i have a 2000 convertible v6 3.8 litre mustang and it had not ran for a few weeks and when i try to start it i won't start and it seems like the gas pump is not operating and i heard that the anti-theft has to be bypass in order for the car to start. Anyone has ideas how to bypass the anti-theft system on my mustang because the dealer wants to do it but it will cost me a towing + dealers charges. Please anyone help me
  2. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Is the theft light flashing?
  3. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

Thanks for the reply, no the light is not flashing at all
  4. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

Then the anti-theft is not the problem.
  5. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

The car crank like it wants to start but the fuel pump doesn't make any noise, it doesn'T smell gas at all, the car just cranks like there is no fire at all. I was told that the anti-theft needs to be bypas. Can you tell me how to do it so at least i can try this
  6. NMStang218

NMStang218 Hello My Name Is

If you can read the codes and get something like a P1260, its a theft issue. But since you neither have a theft light blinking nor a CEL sounds like your fuel pump finally went... Also the only way to bypass the PATS that I know of is to turn it off in the ECU via xcal or some other chip/flash tool.
  7. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

thanks for the reply, i will try taking the anti-theft fuse out first to see if it reset it and then i will look further but like o said the car was working fine until the fact that i left it without running like 2 months and then when i recharge the battery, the car would not start anymore. Is there a relay or a fuse for the fuel pump that i can check before changing my fuel pump. By the way guys, your inputs are very much appreciated:)
  8. SteveC

SteveC New Member

Like we said... if the theft light isn't flashing when trying to restart it, it's not a theft system issue. And be very careful in "resetting it" because then you may very well disable it and have 2 problems to fix... the original problem plus reprogramming PATS.
  9. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

If i pull out the fuse for PATS and put it right back, will this reset the PATS
    Can someone let me know please
  10. ilyack

ilyack a fellow petrolhead

There's also a fuel pump deactivation switch in the trunk somewhere (driver's side maybe) that shuts the fuel off in case of an impact.
    You may not have had any impacts, but maybe something's wrong with that thing. I think there's a button on it that you can press to enable it again...
    And you can try checking your problem codes using this method here: HEC Instrument Cluster Diagnostics
  11. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

Ilyack thanks a lot for your input. My car was wrecked in the back a couple months ago but i was working fine after that, it was starting as normal . Does anyone knows where is located the fuel pump deactivation switch in the trunk that shuts the fuel off in case of an impact.
  12. Totaled108

Totaled108 Its not my car

Its behind the drivers side tail light. Open the trunk and look at the trim, there should be a label on it saying fuel cut off switch. Pull the trim back and press the red button. Is you car still damaged?
  13. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

Totaled 108, thanks for your input, Yes i bought it wrecked with a salvage title and so far i had the rear pulled by a frame master and i re-installed the rear trunk, bumper and cover so the back is fine now it needs a paint on the left side + the rear and then inspection and then i am enjoying my little convertible. By the way what the hell happened to yours, it seems totaled by time:eek:
  14. SteveC

SteveC New Member

That is not how it works. Like I said, if the theft light is flashing it's the PATS system causing it not to start. If it's not flashing, then that is not the cause. And pulling the fuse won't "reset" it.
  15. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the info, i have no other idea what could cause not to start cause it was starting fine until the battery went dead and since then even if a recharged the battery it will not start that is why i assumed the PATS. If it is the PATS when i will put the key in the PATS should be flashing even before i attempt to start, is this right
  16. load

load New Member

Im not sure if this is the fuel pump, but when you turn the key to the ON position, I hear like a electronic whirr noise underneath the car. Would that be the fuel pump working?
  17. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

18. stephbbbb

stephbbbb New Member

TOTALED108, you are my savior, i push that red button in the trunk and the car start like a champ. THANKS A LOT GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP YOU JUST SAVED A CANADIAN MUSTANG FAN A LOT OF MONEY. ;) :D
  19. backjudge

backjudge Backjudge

Does anyone know how to reprogram an existing key? My 2000 vert will not start and the THEFT light blinks rapidly when trying to start. Any help is appreciated.
  20. jamesd

jamesd New Member

it might not be the key. take it to a ford dealer ship. Same thing happened to my car and it was the o-ring in the steering column, not letting the signal from the key through.