How to prep a sway bar for paint???

iceman35

New Member
I got a used sway bar off a 93 GT today. It's in good shape, but its 12 years old, so it needs a new coat of paint.

Question is, how can I prep that in my garage? Sand blasting would probably be best, but I don't have access to one. Would a wire brush and some elbow grease do it? Sand paper would probably work, but that might take a lot of effort :lol:

What do you all recommend???

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:
 

bagged00stang

PMPJUICE
well don't know how bad of shap it's in but there is some pretty rough sandpaper out there! 40grit, it's green try that for starters!
 

CODY2003

Ya, I'm still here. ;)
try chemical stripping first. That should take off most of it, then I would say 200Grit paper.
 

KTBug

- Kris -
I assume you are going to drive the car this bar is going to be installed on? If so then why worry about how to paint it? It's going to get rock chips and plastered with road scum anyway!

I took a bucket of soap and water and washed mine thoroughly and then just shot it with some Krylon flat black. Give it 3 or 4 coats and call it a day.

BTW, are we talking about a rear sway bar? Throw that thing away! It's too small to be useful for anything including normal street driving.
 

CODY2003

Ya, I'm still here. ;)
not necessarily. Depending on the quality of the paint and additives put into it, the paint could be fine.
 

KTBug

- Kris -
True. I used cheap $5 Krylon spray paint. It's about 3 years old now and holding up just fine.

What I meant was the paint is not going to stay a show quality finish. I assume that's what he's looking for considering he wants to prep the bar. I just painted mine with very little prep. It's smooth and looks nice but it's a suspension part. I don't really care how it looks!
 

iceman35

New Member
KTBug said:
I assume you are going to drive the car this bar is going to be installed on? If so then why worry about how to paint it? It's going to get rock chips and plastered with road scum anyway!

I took a bucket of soap and water and washed mine thoroughly and then just shot it with some Krylon flat black. Give it 3 or 4 coats and call it a day.

BTW, are we talking about a rear sway bar? Throw that thing away! It's too small to be useful for anything including normal street driving.
Haha yeah i know it will get beat up, but what the hell.

I ended up just washing it, hit it with some 60 grit paper, and i threw a few coats of primer on it. I'll do the actual color tomorrow night. Just throw a bunch of coats and that will be it.

Yeah is a rear bar. I've heard that anything will make a fair difference from the stock setup. If its not enough, i can always do a steeda adjustable bar. But, i don't do any track driving, so i'm assuming this should be good.

I'm assuming you've got a rear bar? If so which one?
 

CODY2003

Ya, I'm still here. ;)
iceman35 said:
Haha yeah i know it will get beat up, but what the hell.

I ended up just washing it, hit it with some 60 grit paper, and i threw a few coats of primer on it. I'll do the actual color tomorrow night. Just throw a bunch of coats and that will be it.

Yeah is a rear bar. I've heard that anything will make a fair difference from the stock setup. If its not enough, i can always do a steeda adjustable bar. But, i don't do any track driving, so i'm assuming this should be good.

I'm assuming you've got a rear bar? If so which one?
well since it's a rear one rock impact shouldn't be as much. I need to get me one and lay some candy red on it(for looks solely :D ). But sadly, rims have shut down my mods for a while. :(
 

KTBug

- Kris -
I've got a Cobra rear bar.

I couldn't feel anything under 23 mm. I think the '93 GT bar is 21 mm? It's too small even for the street. I couldn't feel a difference between that bar and no bar! :D

Let me know if you want a Steeda adjustable bar. I've had one for forever and never installed it. I could probably part with it. It holds no sentimental value! :lol:
 

iceman35

New Member
CODY2003 said:
well since it's a rear one rock impact shouldn't be as much. I need to get me one and lay some candy red on it(for looks solely :D ). But sadly, rims have shut down my mods for a while. :(

I have a can of candy red in the garage, i had second thoughts on it though. i wanted to do the calipers red too, but i'm afraid it will stick out to much. not sure if thats what i want
 

iceman35

New Member
KTBug said:
I've got a Cobra rear bar.

I couldn't feel anything under 23 mm. I think the '93 GT bar is 21 mm? It's too small even for the street. I couldn't feel a difference between that bar and no bar! :D

Let me know if you want a Steeda adjustable bar. I've had one for forever and never installed it. I could probably part with it. It holds no sentimental value! :lol:
yeah its 21mm.

i'll try it out and see how it feels. i want to loosen the rear end up a good amount, so i'll keep that steeda one in mind.
 

CODY2003

Ya, I'm still here. ;)
iceman35 said:
I have a can of candy red in the garage, i had second thoughts on it though. i wanted to do the calipers red too, but i'm afraid it will stick out to much. not sure if thats what i want
I have candy red on my calipers. it's closer to a blood red, but they are still very understated while showing that they have been looked at. ya know? they are showy without standing out like a sore thumb.
 

iceman35

New Member
CODY2003 said:
I have candy red on my calipers. it's closer to a blood red, but they are still very understated while showing that they have been looked at. ya know? they are showy without standing out like a sore thumb.
Thats what i'm looking for. subtle stuff. don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb, but to get noticed.

I think you helped me make up my mind :thumbup:
 
Top