Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hp cold air intake

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by hayden, Jul 8, 2014.

1. hayden

hayden New Member

Hello, guys, I want to install a set of cold air intake. Could anyone tell me how many hp that this intake can offer.
    Thanks.

2. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

At most you will get maybe 5 peak horsepower maybe a few more with a tune. CAI are not a good mod for power they are more for looks and for the slight whooshing noise they make.

3. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

Perhaps if you told us what car and what intake we might be able to figure out a more definite number.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

4. hayden

hayden New Member

Thank you.

5. hayden

hayden New Member

Thank you.
    I have a 2014 mustang v6, but I dont know what brand of the CAI is better. Maybe I will buy one on american muscle. Do you have any advises that which one should I buy?

6. Duggie

Duggie Duggie

I purchased a Airaid from American Muscle and have been very happy with it. I also changed the stock mufflers out to get the most out of the CAI . I used the Magna Flow axel backs and it made a big difference in throttle response. Sorry I can't help you with the HP gain.

7. Diehard

Diehard Member

There's a difference in opinions on whether a so-called CAI will add any HP to a 2014 3.7L engine. Some say no added HP. Some say if you add a tune. Of course a tune by it self will add HP.
    The stock CAI is exactly the same as the one they use for the GT so it's not lacking any flow capabilities. Many say they add it for looks and sound only. There are articles that say the resonator portion of the stock intake tube actually conditions the air in addition to quieting it down.
    Here's a part of one article:
    Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.
    So if your doing it for sound and looks, that's fine. If your doing it ONLY for HP gain there are other places that would give you more gain for your $$.