1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

i friggin hate white face guages...help please

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by mikek2111987, Feb 28, 2004.

Social Buttons
  1. mikek2111987

mikek2111987 Welcome to 3.Hate

yeah...i bought some white face guages off ebay...big mistake. the little transformer leading to the switch has an annoying high pitch hum, they didnt come with directions, they were very hard to get to fit, they were made with the No Seatbelt warning on the left where the Low Coolant warning should be but instead thats over on the right so now before i put my seatbelt on i have low coolant, it looks like they just took a hole punch and put a single hole in it, and finally it didnt come with directions.

anyways if you read all that, i went by one of the how-to's over at v6stangs on how to wire it...it said splice into the headlight power source. yeah well guess what, the headlights can turn on when the car isnt on so they get a constant feed, so now my guages are always on. how can i fix this?
  2. bluewaterDEMON

bluewaterDEMON New Member

For you wire problem...I would hack into the Rear Defroster switch.

[​IMG]
  3. bluewaterDEMON

This only works on 94-98 models because of the Rear Defroster switch being located under the headlight knob. I'm guessing you would want to tap into wire #5 (All the way on the right) because it is the Illumination switch. This wire has 0-12 Volts because when you turn your headlight knob the interior dash lights get brighter and dimme. This should help you a little bit. Good luck bro.

If the gauges are on right now, they will eat your battery. Do this as soon as possible...I dont want you going through what I had to go through.
  4. mikek2111987

well that helps alot. thanks.
  5. bluewaterDEMON

No problem. Hope it goes well.
  6. novaspyder

novaspyder Crash and Burn

lol i bought soem of those off ebqay and i installed them alst night. I thto they were easy to wire and they look nice but its retarted cuz the wire leading off the main one which has the tach and the spedometer runs straight into my engine heat gauge (above the fuel gauge) and so it fits slightly crooked. my other problem is it said to take the plastic covering off so i tryed to rip it off and i ripped the plasti piece in 2 (LOL) :) so now i just have my think with no plastic covering which doesnt really both me i just have to be careful nothing bumps the needles :)
  7. MaestroSC

MaestroSC Are you ready for the....

I have a 2000 and tapped the rear defroster switch for my boost gauge. It was exactly the same as that schematic above and located directly below my headlight knob.

I may be misreading your post, but are you saying that tapping into the rear defroster will not work for his gauge cluster? And if so, why not?
  8. bluewaterDEMON

I must of used some poor english. I know the 94-98's have the rear defroster button under the headlight knob. I guess it can be done for a 99+ also, I just wouldn't know how to do it (unless its all the same?)

Yes, I was trying to say he can tap into those wires up there for the lighting of his gauges. It will work. Sorry for the poor examples.
  9. MaestroSC

The rear defroster switch for the 99s is identical. Same location, same schematic.

That's why I was confused why you said you can only do it on 98 below stangs. Thought maybe I was missing something because I'm silly like that. :uhh:
  10. bluewaterDEMON

Are you sure they are same locations MaestroSC? My dads 01 GT has the Wheel Slip, Fog Lights, and Rear Defroster Switch all under the radio. So could it be something like 94-00? :confused:

Here are some pictures:

My 95 has the switch under the Headlight knob but the 01 has the switch under the radio. This is what I'm talking about. I was guessing since the 01 had it under the radio that maybe all 99+s came this way.

Attached Files:

11. MaestroSC

Hmmm...could be. They changed the wing in 01, so maybe this is an example of another subtle change. Interesting.

I'm sure of 1 thing, my 2000 rear defroster switch is located directly below the headlight switch. How do I know this? Well I tapped it for my gauges.

Wait, they must have changed it in 2001. See the autometer products for their gauge bezel (the one I purchased):
    Ford Mustang 94-00
    FOR USE WITH AUTO METER 2-1/16" GAUGES

Ford Mustang 01-03
    FOR USE WITH AUTO METER 2-1/16" GAUGES

Note 2 different designs for the same bezel, why? Because the 94-00 has a cutout for the rear defroster under the headlight knob and the 01-03 does not.

I remember asking this before, and they did change the location of the rear defroster switch in 2001. DUH! I don't know why I didn't recall that earlier. :uhh:
  12. Requiem

Requiem more bitter by the day

yep, they did change it in 01. why, i have no idea... kind of stupid IMO, but they did.
  13. bluewaterDEMON

Alright, atleast we got this all worked out now.

We probably have confused the hell out of mikek2111987 though, :lol:

But anyways...Just tap into the Rear Defroster switch for your lighting of the gauges.
  14. MaestroSC

^
    what he said Mike! :D
  15. v6_mustang_guy

v6_mustang_guy New Member

I did mine into my headlight nob. So when I turn on my headlights/parking lights they come on. but I got my halo ones from eBay also, and it has a small hum to it, but when you have the radio on, you don't hear it. But thinking about getting some MAC ones though
  16. mikek2111987

the rear defroster one didnt work, they jus stayed on. so i just did what i shouldve done in the first place and took a multimeter to my headlight wires and figured out which one gets power only when they are on and tapped into that.

yeah i wish my brother wasnt retarded, he spun the needles alll around so i had to recalibrate all of them...but my speedo is still 7mph off dammit.
  17. MaestroSC

There are all types of wires in the rear defroster, 1 for 12v all the time, 1 for 12v "hot in run", also and one for 0-12v (dimming). I just think you tapped the wrong wire.

BUT no big deal, you got it working and that's what counts! :D
  18. bluewaterDEMON

[​IMG]

You can't go wrong with the Rear Defroster Switch....But like Maestro said, Its working now and thats all that matters. Have fun with it!