Ignition timing

rlt

For reasons we won't go into, I'm having to replace the crankshaft pulley and harmonic balancer on my '95 V6, and then to re-set the camshaft position sensor. I've got a pulley and balancer from another V6, but the design is slightly different. The main difference (in case this helps) is that the pulley cannot be unbolted from the rest of the assembly and it has three spokes, rather than being the solid, black painted thing like the water pump pulley.

My question is this: Are the timing marks the same on the two different designs, or are the two items completely incompatible? The original is marked from 10 ATC through to 30 BTC. The replacement is marked 312 to 358 (or perhaps 352). It looks as though they correspond but it is difficult to be certain, because of the condition of my original unit.

Thanks for any assistance.

taylor0987

If you pull the harmonic balancer then it is not necessary or useful to reset your cam synchronizer or cam position sensor. So you don't need to worry about the timing marks. If you've already gone and pulled it then let me know and I will tell you how to mark it...

The HB/Pulley that you have is not the right assembly for your year. Do you know what vehicle it came off of? If you don't know please stop before you install it on your car.

The following is true if you have the original engine in your car:

If the HB/pulley is from an F150 it is the wrong balance. In the short term your engine will shake. In the long term you will have serious engine damage.

If the HB/pulley is from a 99-early 00 Mustang it is the correct balance. I do not know if it will work or not.

If the HB/pulley is from a late 00 through 04 Mustang it is the wrong balance and you will have the same problems as with the F150 assembly.

this is how you tell the year mustang it is from:

rlt

Thanks Taylor for the offer of instructions for re setting the timing. This will be extremely useful. I was repairing a leaking front cover gasket, which is howcome I have caused such carnage to my engine. Like a complete fool I pulled out the camshaft sensor without looking at the manual first, and then took off the crankshaft pulley with the wrong puller and wrecked it, so I have made a complete mess it.

I understand that putting it back together will involve getting the crankshaft in the right position (hence the need for the timing marks), using an alignment tool to fix the rotating part of the sensor relative to the housing, and putting the sensor and housing back into the front cover in the correct position. This last part I was planning to re-fit based on the clean area that the retaining washer left on the housing for the last 12 years while the exposed area just picked up dirt. The correct procedure for all of the above would be very helpful.

Regarding the 'replacement' balancer and pulley, it came from MPS and I requested a pulley and balancer for a '95 V6, so I assumed it would be correct. It hasn't been fitted yet. I'll try to post some pics of it later so you can see what it looks like. I looked at it quite closely last night. It looks like the weight is in the same (or similar) in size and orientation to the original but as I said, its hard to be certain, and the markings are different.

Thanks

rlt

rlt

First time I've tried this. I'm still not used to cameras without film in the back, so I'm well outside my comfort zone (normally the sofa, with an occasional beer.) Can anybody see anything that looks like two metal lumps on a garage floor?

The replacement is shown next to the remainder of my original balancer (with the counterweight jammed back on). As mentioned above, the counterweight designs are very similar and don't have the differences illustrated between the 99s and 01s in Taylor's reply. Also, I think I can rule out it coming from an F150, or at least, its not the same as a '97 F150 which I checked out today.

Will this help shed some light on it?

Thanks

rlt

Attachments

taylor0987

OK since you have a 95 you need to get your engine at 26 degrees after top dead center on the compression stroke. (this is correct for 94-95 but 96+ are different.)

The TDC mark is the most counterclockwise mark (where it says |||||||||||||) on the edge of the balancer. In other words, when the pointer on your timing cover points there, your #1 piston is at TDC.

To mark your balancer for 26* atdc use a tape measure to find the circumference of the balancer (the smaller part in the back closer to the engine, not the pulley). Since there are 360* in a circle, 26 degrees would then be circumference*26/360. Measure that far back counterclockwise from the TDC mark on the balancer and that is where you will set the balancer when you follow the instructions below.

Now as the instructions say you need to 26* atdc after the compression stroke. To make sure you are on the compression stroke, remove your #1 sparkplug and crank the engine (by hand with a socket and ratchet) while holding your finger in the spark plug hole. when you are on the compression stroke you will feel the compression building on your finger. keep turning past that until your timing pointer lines up to the mark.

rlt

I put the replacement crank pulley and balancer on, set the timing as instructed, refilled everything, charged the battery and it started first time! So finally I must have done something right. No CELs, but unfortunately, there's a distinct vibration at about 1000 rpm.

The car is a 95. The replacement balancer was tentatively identified as a late 99 or 00, and it did not look as though it was neutral balanced.

Does an incorrect harmonic balancer cause this issue, or would it vibrate badly across the whole rev range? Could the vibration be due to something else?

You're all going to tell me I've got the wrong balancer, aren't you?