Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ignition tune up questions.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by HumanSVD, May 12, 2019.

1. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Going to do a tune up on my ignition system.

Was looking at getting standard motorcraft spark plugs but Rock Auto has a ton of options.

I see the iridium ones of various brands but apparently, Motorcraft doesn't make one. NGK iridium seems to be liked well. Is it worth it?

Also entertaining the idea of replacing my spark plug wires with MSD 10mm wires and ignition coil with MSD performance coil.

Are those worth it as well? Or should I just stick to OEM?

2. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

Iridium are even a little more conductive than Platinum. If you only put 15,000 miles
    a year or so on, get COPPER plugs. 100% conductivity, and the best for performance.
    Motorcraft does make Iridium plugs, maybe not for the 3.8, but use the NGK G-power
    plugs if you want longevity and performance as far as a Platinum plug goes. If you want
    to run Iridium, you will need a higher spark voltage coil, but I went with the NGK-G Power,
    and a coil. I put Iridium plugs in my Volkswagen I5, and used cheap coils, and it ran like
    ****. I put the factory coil-packs back on, and it runs fine. They could not handle the
    timing advances, and and did not have the same spark voltage... I will never buy those
    EVER again...

[​IMG]

So, you want a 45,000 spark-volt coil, that would be the Accel SuperCoil, or a Screamin'
    Demon, they both have the same specs. I have the SuperCoil on my '08 V6, with the
    NGK G-Power platinum, 8mm plug wires.

8mm plug wires are fine. 10mm does not mean the cores are bigger, you have to
    check the core wire size as well.

3. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Decided to go OEM motorcraft. As far as the coil packs, I'll go Accel. I'll get MSD 8.5 wires as well.

4. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

One last thing. Do spark plug wires need to be lubricated? Haynes manual says to do so but almost everywhere I read says not to do so. I'm using motorcraft, so is it okay not too?

5. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

You don't have to. It makes it easier to service the plugs in the future though. use dielectric grease if you decide to. Also antisieze on the spark plug threads for the same reason. Makes servicing them easier in the future.

6. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Okay, that's good to know. I was told it would throw the torque off and break it if over tightened. It will depend on how it looks but I got a lot of dielectric grease. Thanks again.

7. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

I've ran the NGK Iridiums for probably 15 years now. Change them every 50k miles or so but there isn't much of a difference between the old and new plugs. They'd certainly make it to 100k, though not sure how easy they would be to get out after being in for so long..

HumanSVD likes this.
  8. 08'MustangDude

New plugs will have a silver coating on the threads, this is their own anti-seize agent.
    You DO NOT use anti-seize anymore. You may over torque them with anti-seize added
    to the threads. Most people use a nickel anti-seize, and that's THE WORST for
    conductivity, thus you can effect the grounding of the plug, and will effect spark
    energy if the ground is weak or bad. Putting a layer of nickel on the threads will
    lower the ground effectiveness of the plug.

HumanSVD likes this.
  9. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Gotcha. I picked motorcraft finewire platinum sp486. They look good. I just saw what the Haynes manual said and wasn't sure.

10. 08'MustangDude

I used the NGk Power-G, they seem to be good. Make sure you check the gap
    on the plugs.