Im toying with the idea of getting a street bike (ninja 250).

Tiffany97

One of my goals for after I graduate the dental program im in is to learn to drive a motorcycle. Ive been really craving that exsperience lately. Im trying to talk my boyfriend into taking the course with me b/c its something to do together and we would also always have someone to ride with.

The question I have to those who know about bikes would be; Is the Ninja 250 my best starting point. Im 5'0 tall and weigh about 106 pounds. Of course I would where some sort of boot or shoe which always gives me an extra inch or two. And also I would buy used for sure not new. Im also pretty strong for my size I dont believe I would have a problem picking up a bike that size is I were to ever put it down.

Input would be cool.:thumbup:

jimmy_beaner

VITA EST BREVIS
hopefully you don't have a craving for speed... otherwise I would recommend carrying one of these to aid in the clean up process:

StangMan04

250 is nice starting point from what I heard. I was looking to get my license and take the course but decided I will wait until I am 25 when insurance wouldn't rape my ass. Being a guy and under 25 sucks. And my record is clean. I hear alot of people outgrow 250 quick, but honestly it is the safest route, definately go with a 250 and buy used for your first bike.

3.8Mateo

Wild and Free bro
Personally, I think a 250 or 500 is perfect or someone your size. Not saying that you couldn't handle something bigger, but even my 500 is pretty heavy for me at 5'7" 150lbs. A Girl I knew in HS started riding and she had a Ninja 250 and loved it. After a year or two she upgraded to something bigger when she thought she could handle it.

joekd

GT geek
A 250 is the perfect size for someone your size just starting out, when you take the course this is usually the size bikes they have you practice on

The small frame and light weight of the 250 make it easy to control/handle

Alucard

Always
Definitely a 250. Although you could probably get away with the ninja 500 without much hassle if that were all you could find.

buddyantunez1

00' 3.8L v6
i always recommend having prior experience before jumping on a street bike. i work at a motorcycle shop back home and i see a lot of people buy one(600 or 1000cc sport bikes), having never ridden before in their life and it doest turn out good. if you have a friend with a dirt bike around 80-150cc, that is the perfect start just to get you used to operating the clutch, brakes and gear changes.

take advantage of the motorcycle endorsement/safety class offered near you. it drops your insurance rates and teaches you proper skills required to safely ride on public streets.

but when your ready for a street bike, a Ninja 250 or 500 is a great starters bike to get. there are plenty in used circulation that you can pick up very cheap. im sure it will have scratches and might get a few more since it is a learning bike. i would suggest an older Yamaha R6(98-03) but since you are a smaller girl, the bike might be a bit on the heavy side.

Lk.3

original gangsta ****
The 250 is a starting point. Anything else will either be too tall or too much bike for you.

The road can be an intimidating place for some, so I hope you've got some lady balls.

YZBot

is made from stars.
250 will do 0-60 in about 6 seconds and will hit 95mph. It may be slow in comparison to street bikes in general but it will certainly get out of its own way. I ride mine to work every day I can and it is more than capable. The type of riding you do will determine how quickly you might outgrow it.

Kawasaki 250 or 500, or suzuki's gs500 are good starts. The 250 does run at high rpm though. Some people don't like cruising for miles on the highway at 9000 rpm. I'm 5'6" with short legs and while I can't flat foot my 250 with both feet, it is very managable. Best bet is to find them and sit on them.

Alucard

Always
Buell Blast is another option for learning, I have had a number of friends say it was an extremely forgiving bike and its panels are made from materials that when dropped wont dent and scratches don't show easily.

StangBandit

Devil Boy
Buell Blast is another option for learning, I have had a number of friends say it was an extremely forgiving bike and its panels are made from materials that when dropped wont dent and scratches don't show easily.

The Blast is a decent bike, but its more of a big mini bike than a street bike. It has off sized tires (i/e not common), they are reliable though.

The Ninja 250/500 or Suzuki GS500's are all great starter bikes.

The new ninja 250 even has the badass styling of new age bikes. The Ninja 500's are still stuck in the 80's. If you buy a Ninja 250/500 rest assured you can sell them for almost what you payed for them after a season, these bikes are in demand as starter bikes.

If you could get a Ninja 250 new, you could almost sell them for more than you payed as they are in high demand, they are wicked looking bikes that experienced riders are buying to have fun on, plus since they look great now it has renewed the interest in the smallest of the sportbikes.

Another option would be to look at supermotos (dirtbikes with sportbike tires, street legal usually) You can get them from 250's all the way up to liter bikes damn near, and are a riot to ride on the street. A plus to the super moto is you don't have to speed to be having fun. Supermotos are also rock solid, they are dirtbikes first (most of em) converted to street use, dirtbikes don't break much *when* you fall, and are usually inexpensive to repair compared to a full fairing sportbike.

I know on my Buell I am almost always 20 over on backroads, and the yellow recommended speed signs in corners are usually well under what I am doing on the bike.

Jester4Kicks

pwn-hawk
Would everyone here recommend the same bike for a beginner who was 6'3" at about 250lbs? I'm betting the 250 might be a little underpowered...

When it comes to learning, do you buy the bike first and then take it to the classes? Or are there beginner classes with loaner bikes?

Zim

The Coors Knight
Would everyone here recommend the same bike for a beginner who was 6'3" at about 250lbs? I'm betting the 250 might be a little underpowered...

When it comes to learning, do you buy the bike first and then take it to the classes? Or are there beginner classes with loaner bikes?

You would be far too big for a 250 at 6'3"...

I sat on one at 6' and felt scrunched on that thing. You can really do whatever makes you happy when it comes to the order of things. Personally, I found a good deal on a bike, so I bought it... got my permit that allowed me to learn on it, then went and took the riding test for my endorsement. I didn't have to take any classes. I had never ridden a bike before either, and started with a 600. I'm happy I got the 600, anything less would be really boring now. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with... I know guys that swear up and down about the MSF course, and to be honest I would have taken it if there wasnt a 2 month wait to get into it.

domin8

Lazy Unicorn

all of the classes for beginners supply their own bikes, because most of the time they'll get dropped etc. For someone 6'3 250 you'll likely crush a 250cc bike :p I am 6'3 and 200 and i bought a 600cc for my first bike.

Tiffany, i'd also suggest taking the course first before you think about making any sort of purchase. You may get out on the course and decide its something you dont like. My little brother took the course with me, and he has his license but doesnt ever ride because it scares him. :lol: But yes, if you do enjoy it a ninja 250 would be a good starting point for you. They hold value well, so when you outgrow it you can upgrade without losing much money.

Also, if you find a bike is too tall, you can get it lowered a few inches ;)

GL and be safe!

V6mustang94

What I've been told by various riders is that I'll love the 250 for about two weeks and then I'm going to want something more. Everyone has been telling me to find something like a 600.

Not only that, us taller people look funny on 250s. They are too small for our size.

Lk.3

original gangsta ****

Ninja 500 or GS500 would be a better option. Not like you couldn't ride a 250, though.

domin8

Lazy Unicorn
What I've been told by various riders is that I'll love the 250 for about two weeks and then I'm going to want something more. Everyone has been telling me to find something like a 600.

Not only that, us taller people look funny on 250s. They are too small for our size.

yah. also people tell me i should have gotten a 1000CC because i look big on my 600...there is maybe a 1-2" difference in overall bike length between 1000's and most 600's now, its just the 1000s' are a little wider in comparison. So it sucks but i'll look big on any bike :( (unless i get a hayabusa or zx-14) but those cant turn for balls :thumbdown:

Zim

The Coors Knight
yah. also people tell me i should have gotten a 1000CC because i look big on my 600...there is maybe a 1-2" difference in overall bike length between 1000's and most 600's now, its just the 1000s' are a little wider in comparison. So it sucks but i'll look big on any bike :( (unless i get a hayabusa or zx-14) but those cant turn for balls :thumbdown:

Sure they can, you're just not experienced enough yet to get them to. I ride with a couple guys on busa's and 14's and they rail the turns like I never though possible. :lol:

domin8

Lazy Unicorn
Sure they can, you're just not experienced enough yet to get them to. I ride with a couple guys on busa's and 14's and they rail the turns like I never though possible. :lol:

ive never ridden one lol, i'm just saying i cant imagine them handling as well as mine. but i could be wrong :uhh:

only bikes ive ridden are my 07 cbr600rr and my buddies 08 cbr1000rr :drool: