Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Installing Oil Catch Can - 2000 Mustang V6

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by roadster, May 9, 2019.

1. roadster

roadster Member

I was doing my catch can install today and ran into a problem. I have the catch can mounted after making a special mount for it, but I cannot pull the PCV hose from the crankcase. Is there a trick to doing this?

Thanks,

roadster

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. roadster

roadster Member

Completed this project this morning. Here is what I did.

From doing some house electrical work before involving the installation of several electrical boxes attached together for multiple switches/plugs, I had saved the extra sides (one extra side from each combination of two boxes). I took one of those steel box sides, cut a piece off of it with a hack saw, bent it on my vice to lower the top of the oil catch can to allow the hood to close, drilled a couple of holes to mount the oil catch can bracket to, and used an existing hole to mount it on the side of the vehicle. I secured the small bracket that came with the oil catch can to the bracket I just made with small bolts and nuts that I had laying around, attached and tightened the spigots that came with the oil catch can, and then took out one of the sheet metal screws along the underside of the edge of the hood inserted the bracket there and put the screw back to hold everything together.

At this point, I ran into the issue I posted about above. This morning, I went to finish the job. Since no one provided any suggestions, I looked at how the replacement PCV hoses look and decided I had to pry out the old hose. So I took a small slot screwdriver and went to work. It took a little prying, but after a short while I was able to move the connection slightly so I kept tugging and prying until it came loose. After 19 years of sitting there untouched, I suppose it got a little too well attached. Anyways I was able to get the hose off. So I then took a piece of light colored hose that I had laying around from an installation of a hot spa that I had done years ago, cut a piece off of that and used it to connect the the catch can inlet to the spigot on the engine camshaft. The old PCV tube was bent to a certain shape to fit the direct connection, so when I tried to bend it to fit the new connection, the darn thing snapped. It turned out it was not rubber at all, just a plastic tube with rubber ends! So I took my hack saw to the plastic tube that was quite brittle after these years and cut off the ends leaving small lengths of the plastic tube for the new connection thus saving the rubber ends, which still look good. The PCV valve itself seems fine and it is clean so I left that. I then cut a short piece of black rubber hose from a length I had laying around from an old clothes washer water connection and attached that to the ends of the old PCV valve tube. All hose connections are attached with stainless steel screw to tighten brackets for a tight fit. See photos.

The oil catch can I used is similar to the expensive ones sold by American Muscle, but at a cost of about US$30 from an AliExpress vendor. It is made of aluminum with a baffle and filter, with a thread-on bottom for emptying at oil change time.

Hopefully this will solve the knocking I have been experiencing for some time with this car (and many others do that as well) caused by all the crap that accumulates in the engine's intake due to contaminants entering the engine from the crankcase with the positive crankcase ventilation system (to protect the environment and mess up the engine!). I may still have to apply a can of seafoam spray to cleanse out the accumulated sludge that accumulated over the years and about 120,000 miles.

I hope this is of help to anyone contemplating doing this mod to their new edge mustang V6.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      309.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      292.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      275.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  3. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

Just as a note, if there is no baffle in the can, it won't be as efficient.

Here is mine, $25.00 on eBay:
    [​IMG]
    Has in inlet, and outlet side, the inlet side has the baffle.

PRODUCT
    [​IMG]
    You don't use the VENT, it comes capped.

Put stainless mesh in the baffle:
    [​IMG]

You need the baffle to strain the oil from the vapor. Without it, you still
    get oil through the PCV line. No matter what, you are getting some, but
    you want all the help you can get.

roadster likes this.