Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Instructional on How to Dye your Interior

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by Zer0Morph, Jun 24, 2006.

1. mstng9101

mstng9101 New Member

Not trying to be an ass, but the SEM color coat is an interior paint, not a dye, it says it right on the back of the can. Anyway, I am in the process of painting some interior parts and am impressed with the quality, just wondering how it looks in the long run? BTW, it looks great!

2. 15with03Mustang

15with03Mustang I'm almost 19 yrs old.

THAT looks incredible man. There's no way I could do that though... I would somehow manage to get paint on the windshield or something.

3. 2000White3.8

2000White3.8 Mind over MATTer

I HAVE to somehow come up with a way of getting my old, nasty, tan interior Black.

At first I was thinking I could just get the pieces and do a swap but now I'm thinking I could dye it all.

I'm thinking Summer project of 2007 right here ladies.

Gotta buy some Black carpet, Black leather seats, and then some Dye and I'll proceed to **** my car up completely. :lol:

Nah seriously though, any recomendations on a FULL CONVERSION? :eek:

4. MiniMach

MiniMach Im yo' favorite cracka

hows the glare on the windshield? mines just armoralled and its rediculous.
    also great job on it, definetly prefer the silver over the red.

5. Brandon

Brandon Better Than Sliced Bread!

how do you get the peice on the top of the dash out i need to realign mine.

6. 3point8liter

3point8liter 3point8liter

what kind of paint did you use for the red parts?

7. wraaaa

wraaaa New Member

What about the plastic parts of the interior? Such as the bottom half of the door. Will dye work or will I need to use paint instead?

8. babz

babz If specified

Same here

9. bullzi91

bullzi91 every day driver...

what colors would go good with this color interior?? and i really like the red and black combo.. but dont know if it waould be too much red because i have a bright red car :-/

Attached Files:

10. Zr-01Stang

Zr-01Stang SavageStang

hey idk if ur ever gonna check this but in ur opinion how hard would it be to paint the top half of my black interior a really dark dark green. i wanna make my retarded ass grey/black interior a lil prettier:)

11. Zer0Morph

Zer0Morph Go Colts!!

Man I've been away for about a year now and I just got an email from someone asking some questions so I thought I'd poke my head in here and see if their were anymore I could answer. 2 people had this question and I missed it the first time so I thought I'd answer it now.

The plastic parts that I have painted DSG were left over from the paint we used for my Roush body parts. My bodyshop guy did those when he painted and installed the ground effects. Then he put a clear coat over them to protect the finish and give it a nice glossy shine. I recommend doing it that way over SEM Dye because the dye has a very hard time sticking to hard plastic surfaces. The parts I DID dye are much squishier and have nice little grooves in the plastic of the dash, and the arms so the dye holds very well to it. When the plastic is hard and completely flat, it has a very hard time sticking and can be removed very easily with a finger nail or any other bump. I recommend using professional car paint and putting a clear coat over it. I personally would never try it myself, but the dye is so easy to use I recommend any do it, but not professional paint.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Actually the glare isn't that bad. I used a semi-gloss dye which really helps cut down on the glare. There is definately a little more glare than the original dull interior but not nearly as bad as armorall. Armorall usually has a super glossy shine which your right, is blinding when it catches the sun right. You will have more of a sun reflection but its worth how beautiful your interior could be. Hope that helps! :)

If anyone has any other questions just email me at [email protected], I'm still there and have gotten 2 question in the past month so send away. GL and post your pictures! :)

12. Raymond

Raymond `

Zero, where you been man?! I was actually wondering what happened to you, I always liked seeing new pictures of your car.

13. Zer0Morph

Zer0Morph Go Colts!!

HAHA I miss you guys too!! Man I've just been so busy with moving to Indianapolis and starting this new IT job! After getting married last summer and graduating college my wife and I moved here for a new IT Office job. I got my own office on the 4th floor with 2 WINDOWS!!! HAHA and now they pay me lots of money! FOOLS!! :lol:

What you been up to Ray? Still giving the noobs a hard time? :)

14. SilvR-SixR 302

SilvR-SixR 302 New Member

i know no one has commented on this for months, but what about the carpet on the bottom of the doors, can you just paint over that?

15. Nik_6

Nik_6 New Member

how many cans would a complete interior dye would take? dash, console, back panels everything, i want to blackout my entire interior.

16. WLJohnson05

WLJohnson05 BOOOOOST

u can not paint the bottom part of the doors with the sem color coat, it wont last at all and anything that rubs it will scrape the paint off. i am going to continue my blackout process in a couple weeks and i will be using some other black plastic paint to do the rigid plastic stuff. other than that the soft vinyl surfaces hold up like a charm with the sem paint.

well since u should just do the soft surfaces with the sem paint, i would say around 7 cans depending on how u paint. but u are gonna need more paint to do the hard plastics such as the back seat stuff and the lower part of the door panels and the center console and the plastic above ur knees and around the steering area...etc.

17. Nik_6

Nik_6 New Member

thats 7 cans of sem pent? or do i need another paint for the hard plastic ones?

18. WLJohnson05

WLJohnson05 BOOOOOST

1 or 2 cans to do the top half of the door panels
    1 or 2 cans, maybe 3, on doing the dash, center part of the steering wheel, and center console top. pretty much if its soft to the touch u can shoot it with the SEM paint, but for the rest ur gonna need a plastic paint and a flat clear

19. WLJohnson05

WLJohnson05 BOOOOOST

change to my original after actual experience:
    dash is only gonna take 2 cans, including the paint for the door panels and rest of soft vinyl.

20. WLJohnson05

WLJohnson05 BOOOOOST

heres some shots of mine after doing it in all black

before:
    [​IMG]
    after:
    [​IMG]

door panel setup with black and silver:
    [​IMG]

some of the rear pieces...they initially turn out awesome but with just the SEM color coat on them the paint scraped off easily...
    [​IMG]