Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Intercooled M112 experiment

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by davidcseifert, Apr 1, 2013.

1. davidcseifert

davidcseifert that V6 guy

I'm pleased to say, that with a large amount of help from Ortiz Performance, we will be experimenting with an intercooler setup that will actually fit inside of the original Lil Roush plate (the lowest plate made at that). Ortiz has been in touch with Matt and getting things sorted out on how to make the plates, while me and Ortiz have been searching for all the other stuff needed to make this work decently. What we have come up with so far is basically a slightly smaller version of the intercooler like the actual terminator uses, our core being used is the same length as the Cobra, 2 inches wider, and only 1.5 inches shallower than the Cobra. Also, just like the cobra's it is a dual pass intercooler :) while it is not as deep, it is over 2" wider than the original, this should at least make them on even playing grounds.

Just some little things we have planned to do to work with it, a gt coolant expansion tank to use as the fluid reservoir for the supercharger, a regular cobra pump (for the intercooler), also running a dual pass heat exchanger to make sure everything stays nice and cool.

The first plate will be made within a week or two, i'm picking up my blower this weekend hopefully and sending it off to ortiz to modify for the swap (and port some too :D ), once i return from my trip next week i'll start gathering everything else needed locally for the swap.

Comment welcome, hope this is a big success as it would be a big game changer in the sixxers wanting that sexy whine and a lot of power without meth injection!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  2. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

good luck david. look forward to seeing how this goes.

3. davidcseifert

Same here man, should be interesting for sure.

4. TheCheeksMcDuke

TheCheeksMcDuke That guy

5. blown245

blown245 Member

thats what im thinking lol. Just kiddin man. thing should be a beast. you should just buy mine and not worry about this lol :)

6. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

Take lots of pics.

Ortiz, I think a good area of opportunity for you would also be making an adapter plate for the 3.7, to my knowledge nobody has a roots style setup for these new v6's.

Kenne Bell was suppose to be releasing one, not sure if those plans fell through the cracks though.

7. toph6888

toph6888 Active Member

screw getting the water line, hook it up to the ac lines. That way you will be running a better refrigerant, plus you can control your intake temps from inside the car by adjusting the air conditioner. :crazy:

But in all serious sounds like a cool project. I know a lot of people have been trying to figure out a way to do it, glad you are going for it. what are the dimensions of the heat exchanger? General dimensional differences between the exchangers won't matter so long as surface area remains high, and routing the water correctly for a proper 2pass heat exchanger.

8. SlowSix01

SlowSix01 Active Member

this will definitely be interesting. It would make the m112 swap a lot more viable for us sixxer guys.

9. Zombiefro

Zombiefro Member

Of course, I am very excited for this, and as I said before, If all goes well I will be first in line, Best of luck!

10. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

Thanks everyone. I've been around M112s for a while and work on them quite a bit. Everything in the intercooler will be just the same as the terminator. The dual pass function, the way it gets the feed and return, the way it bolts directly into the supercharger to make sure the air flows through the intercooler, even the adapter plate will get powder coated. The feed will go from the reservoir into our big dual pass heat exchanger that mounts on the front where the bumper is to get maximum cooling, go through the feed into the intercooler, cools the bar and plate dual pass interooler twice, and return back to the reservoir. The EXACT same set up as the terminator.

The intercooler is not as deep as the Terminator (1" difference) but we are also not going to pulley down to a 2.8 upper and 6lb lower like them either. We are talking about an underdriven, 3.4 pullied blower. This intercooler will be more than enough, I'm predicting even enough for 18psi.
    With this set up, you can even add a Killer Chiller that utilizes the a/c to cool the water/coolant inside the system to around 39*. How awesome is that?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  11. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

If you can PM me a good picture of the engine and intake manifold, I'll gladly take a look at it.

12. davidcseifert

3.65" pulley and 25% udp for crank should be about 7-8psi aka factory eaton boost on a terminator, so should be interesting, and from what I read if I put the stock crank pulley back on should be around 12ish psi. Ported blower might make a difference too not sure on that, but I know it'll also help with iats.

Of course these numbers are for stock non ported stuff, so I should see lower boost with the massive ports on the heads and decent sized lower intake ports.. Only thing I have to really worry about is the fact I'm running like 9.8 compression. >_>

13. Zombiefro

Zombiefro Member

Gah! this has me too excited TAKE MY MONEY!

14. davidcseifert

$5000 to [email protected] :coolface:

15. Zombiefro

Zombiefro Member

16. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

I do and all major credit cards as well ;)

17. toph6888

toph6888 Active Member

If you can send me your account info and mothers maiden name, I can get the money transferred over to you from my Nigerian bank account...

18. Zombiefro

Zombiefro Member

I have stacks of gold bars waiting for you.

I wanna' go fast!

19. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

Did I mention that the plate will come powder coated to reduce more temps? We will be offering the intercooled version as well as the original version for those on a budget.

20. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

powdercoat kinda cancels itself out imo. it will keep heat out but it will also hold heat in. mainly do it for looks and to protect the metal. they do have a coating though that will help dissipate heat. they use it on intercoolers and radiators etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013