Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

iPhone 3G car audio interface issues, be advised

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by speedbump, Jul 13, 2008.

1. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

Buyers of the new iPhone 3G have come across an issues involving the new iPhone 3G not charging with many iPod accessories, including car audio interfaces. The new iPhone 3G has dropped support for the traditional iPod charging standard (firewire). This method of charging had been supported through all iPod generation as well and the Gen1 iPhone and has been the basis for all iPod accessories thus far. At this time. the only standard that is capable of charging the iPhone 3G is USB.

Be advised, if you have or plan on purchasing and iPhone 3G and have or plan of purchasing an iPod interface for your vehicle, insure that the interface connection supports USB.

Alpine's iDA series iPod decks for example, have a standard iPod interface as well as a UBS interface. The standard iPod interface will not charge the new iPhone 3G. The USB interface however will charge the iPhone 3G and will still provide full interface connectivity to the deck.

Research your iPod/iPhone car audio purchases before buying. Future iProducts may also follow this example. The accessory industry will no doubt adjust to this change so this advisory may only be necessary till the next generation of products arrive.

EDIT: It also appears that certain car charger do not work with the new iPhone 3G for the same reason. Purchasing one of the USB car chargers will insure compatibility with your previous and current generation iPods and new new iPhone 3G.

2. atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98 Bazinga!

all PIONEERs higher than DEH4000UB also has usb interface

3. thelatinguy7

thelatinguy7 Computer Engineer

this doesn't affect the hardlines such as the Sony controllers does it?

4. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

this affects any accessory that does not use the USB standard. anything from your clock radio to the multi $1000 car audio system. it even affects Apple's own iPod speaker system. it doesn't matter what it is or who makes it.

if the interface does not use USB, chances are it will not charge.

5. thelatinguy7

but hold on, I ask because my unit isn't usb or firewire its an actual hardline from the sony controller to the back to the ipod so I can actually control it from the actual headunit and the remote...it connects to the back of the aux input of the headunit, that's why I ask.

6. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

many systems dont necessarily use a firewire cable. iPods have not even shipped with them for many years now. yours, like many others prolly uses a proprietary cable (in your case sony). these interfaces used the firewire standard (12v) to provide power to the iPods. as of now, from what most people are seeing, those units that do not provide a USB interface (5v), will not charge the phone.

USB interfaces also provide the same level of connectivity as others interface types. i swapped over to the USB port on my Alpine and i get full control of the device and it charges fine.

7. thelatinguy7

wow, I guess Apple just screwed me over haha...well I dont have an Iphone but I was contemplating getting one...

8. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

just hold off for now. a solution is out there. there are too many ipod accessories out there to just let this go.

9. sheltons02v6

sheltons02v6 New Member

The new iPhone 3G works fine with an audio cable hookup and anything with a usb port will work if you use your cable....I love my iPhone and even though I cannot use it in my JVC yet I just use my little nano to do the job. The phone itself is deff worth having :D

10. Justin251

Justin251 hotpocketssssss

My pioneer just has a usb port on it. I plug in my ipod classic and it plays.