1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

is it bad to run open headers?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by bigstang, Jan 10, 2006.

Social Buttons
  1. bigstang

bigstang bottle fed...

just take off the pipes and mufflers and just leave on the headders? and is there any perfomance gains?
  2. TBone7281

TBone7281 00StangV6Coupe no more.

It's bad for the environment and for my ears, yes. Also, you'd lose a ton of backpressure... that would hurt anything near a stock car, performancewise.
  3. djmelon

djmelon New Member

when I was driving one day my exhaust got disconnected from the header on the passenger side and it sounded like a tractor driving down the road. It was horrible. I took it in and had them make me a custom exhaust with some flowmaster 40s and they welded everything so it wouldn't happen again. Just to let you know...with only one side disconnected it sounded ****ing terrible.
  4. Kuplex

Kuplex Unconventional Off Topic Moderator

There might be a couple ponies gained on the very high end of your power band (and even I'm not sure of that), but nothing else.
    You'd lose WAY too much backpressure, so say good bye to your low-end power. Now as for sound, you probaly won't make it 5 miles without getting a ticket, since it's like a tractor with glasspacks.

Your best bet would be to get good exhaust setup. You'll gain favorable numbers while still sounding good. :thumbup:
  5. bigstang

bigstang bottle fed...

no iwas just wondering if there were any benifits
  6. TBone7281

TBone7281 00StangV6Coupe no more.

The your answer is "no sir, not really."
  7. underoath

underoath Rowboat Productions

no benifits at all, it sounds like garbage, makes alot of sound when going but since the major loss of torque you arnt going any where fast :lol: and in the end you'll look just like a honda civic
  8. SteveC

SteveC New Member

It can cause engine damage and will not allow for proper O2 readings. And it will cause power loss.

In other words... don't do it.
  9. bob_1

bob_1 New Member

i disconnected my exhaust where the y pipe meets the muffler... and i could set off car alarms like nothing:D , even the inside of my car shook. Honestly it felt like my car was faster... You should try that and hear it for yourself, it'll take like 5 minutes, and it's only two bolts. And i know your said from the "headers" i'm just giving input
  10. Rellik

Rellik is a dirty pirate

Heard it for myself... still think it sounds like ass.
  11. greensteeda

greensteeda Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Garages:
    the only time you should run open headers is if you have way more bite than you have bark
  12. 03mystang

03mystang New Member

My cousin runs open headers. I tryed telling him it is not going to get him better performance, but he swears up and down it does. I told him the same thing, you are losing all the back pressure. He says oooo nooo man, instead the exhaust flows out quicker giving you more power....WTF.

He is tripping.

He has a 4banger s10 with open headers....It sounds ****ing retarted.
  13. mustang cruisin

mustang cruisin New Member

My passenger side manifold busted right were the flanges bolt to the cats... I've been driving it like this for some time on and off... I'll have total loss of my hearing by the time I'm 30... at first it sounds a little mean at idle.. but the minute you get on the throttle... ITS LIKE AZZ!!! I've been waiting on a some Headman headers forever..(shipper keeps messing up the address, this is the third time it's shipped.. so keeping my fingers crossed that it's on my doorstep Monday) Really it's not cool... deafing loud.. and really not the "head turner" effect that I want from my car. Try it.. but I doubt you'll keep it very long. sorry gotta go.. changing the battery to my hearing aid.....:D
  14. 03mystang

03mystang New Member

hOPE YOU GET THEM SOON:thumbup:
  15. underoath

underoath Rowboat Productions

if you wanna try runnin open headers why not just run no headers all all :eek: opennnn manifoldssssss
  16. YZBot

YZBot is made from stars.

:lol: I did that on my snowmobile once. I was tempted to put a stick in there and let the piston eat it up, but it was too ****ing loud to even stand in front of the engine.
  17. bluestang00us

bluestang00us New Member

Mine broke in the exact same place two weeks ago, going down the frapping interstate. :( Loud doesn't even do it justice; its just crazy. I finally restled a used manifold up from a local mustang salvage yard and will be putting it on tomorrow morning.

BTW... anyone know the correct size cap/fitting for the EGR bung in the pass side manifold? I'm deleting the EGR and figured now is the best time to cap the hole off.
  18. 232-MUSTANG

232-MUSTANG New Member

i took the entire exhaust pipe off of a leaf blower motor once, my ears rang for 45 minutes after running it for 3 seconds. im sure it would have set off alarms.