Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Is it just my transmission?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by blown245, Dec 31, 2013.

1. blown245

blown245 Member

Hey guys, been a long time but I am back from afghan and I got my car shipped to Italy where I broke my trans again. This time i had to have completely broke 2nd gear off. I can move the shifter into 2nds position with no clutch and there is nothing there and I can hear it banging around in the trans. also in neutral I can see the speedo occasionally pop up. I CAN drive it BUT it is not worth damaging anything else. When I do move it when i hit the gas its as if the clutch randomly disengages and reengages on its own so ill be spinning the tires for no reason like i popped the clutch i guess. Also it sometimes sounds like it catches on something when its moving and there is a LOUD pop which scared the **** outta me. like metal bending and popping loose from other metal. Also noticed when i was turning the other day that the left rear tire would seem like it had a sweet spot like sometimes it would spin the same speed as the other then release... Did I torch my rear end too finally? Anyways I plan on upgrading to the 3650 if taxes allow but is my rear end ok for now? Thoughts?

2. tastywheats

tastywheats Active Member

To answer your rear end question, that is just the way open
    Differentials work. Power is essentially sent to both wheels but if you start to spin power is usually weaker in the left which causes one wheel drive. If you think about it, when you make a turn one wheel has to travel faster than the other. If both were locked it would cause one wheel to lose traction and spin which would cause a sqeeking noise. The open diff eliminates that by taking power away from one of the wheels and letting it just roll with the flow.

I just rambled a bunch of stuff off but to answer your question I don't believe there is anything wrong with your rear.

Brent likes this.
  3. 06v6

06v6 New Member

Just curious does anyone know how much abuse a stock transmission for a 2006 v6 manual 5 spd 4.0 can take

4. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

Not a lot ...from what I hear...most r putting a tremmic replacement in them :-\