Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Leaking oil???

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by jturn422, Nov 1, 2009.

1. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

I have a 96 3.8 leaking oil from somewhere...I put a brand new motor in it last summer...I only have around 12000 miles on it...Everything is new under the hood except the transmission..I just recently changed the oil pan drain plug thinking it was that. It looks like its coming from there....Please help

2. 97mustangblue

97mustangblue New Member

I have the same thing, i found it to be coming from the oil plug so i replaced it...a couple of weeks later it started leaking from the new plug even though it is tight.. good luck man

3. DEstang

DEstang Why So Serious?

Look above the oil drain plug. Oil runs down.

4. 97vert3.8

97vert3.8 New Member

I have all kinds of problems with my drain plug. If you dont put it in just right it will leak. Good luck, oil leaks are a pain in the ass :)

5. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

So if its leaking above the plug...any suggestions on where it could be coming from

6. DEstang

DEstang Why So Serious?

pan gasket, valve seal, could be coming from the crank seal and running to the back of the oil pan, dipstick tube, oil pump assembly/oil filter seal...

Obviously the drain plug is going to look like it's leaking because the the closest point to the ground. All the oil will run to the plug, than drip off of it.

7. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

Thanks I will look into those....my dad is in Michigan and I just recently moved to NC...these shops are trying to take advantage of me cause I am a woman...I know alot about cars but this one stumped me

8. DEstang

DEstang Why So Serious?

best of luck :thumbup:

You could also look into an engine oil dye or "leak detection dye." Make sure you get dye suitable for oil, as there are dyes made for different fluids in a car (i.e brake, coolant, oil, fuel, clutch, differential, trans). This along with a UV or black light will help you pinpoint oil in areas hardly visable with natural light and your eyes. Make sure to throughly clean the engine with a type of degreaser or spraying the underside of the engine with brake/carb cleaner usually works fine for bottom end oil leaks.

9. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

Thanks I may just drive to Michigan during Thanksgiving to have my father look at it...Some of these shops are full of sh**

10. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

Ok I need help again...drove to Michigan to get my car fixed....Me and my dad replaced the intake gaskets first and put everything back together now I am not leaking oil but I am leaking water...any ideas where that is coming from...getting ready to take everything apart again and see whats going on

11. x42bnx

x42bnx Demon Inside

Are you sure that you are leaking water? Or it isn't AC Condensation (That is if you are using AC)

Check your overflow tank, radiator cap & ask a shop to pressure test the radiator. If there are leaks somewhere else, then the pressure will drop over time. Also check hoses.

12. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

Fixed the water leak...had to put in new manifold gaskets...again....and change a hose...dont ask...lol but guess what I am still leaking oil...I am getting frustrated...changed the oil pan gasket, manifold gaskets, oil plug, and everything else except the main seal but that is a one piece and I dont think that would be it...ERRR

13. 00stangWA

00stangWA V6 Owner

incase it wasnt already said, are you sure the oil pan isnt stripped out? Meaning the threads where the drain plug threads into?

14. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

i am not trying to be rude, but you really need to take a step back and methodically troubleshoot the problem rather than just guessing and buying more parts.

1. thoroughly clean the engine (use engine degreaser and your hose, or do it at a car wash)
    2. drive the car
    3. use a very bright flashlight and inspect everywhere on the engine where oil could be possibly leaking

like death by spray said, you can also use dye in the oil and a uv light
    http://autorepair.about.com/od/otherodddiyjobs/a/findleaks_2.htm

15. jturn422

jturn422 New Member

I tried to find a part store with the dye for the oil and no one in NC knows what the heck I am talking about...They said they have it for everything else except oil

I tried everything you said Taylor0987 but still cant see it...Maybe I can buy the dye for the oil online

16. sircrashalot

sircrashalot Caribbean love 2 eat rice