Lets do this, first good detail black 99' GT

Jesse01V6

Away from V6's for now........
Alright, its getting close to me actually doing this. I want to do a good detail on my GT, I will probably do it at the same time my new wheels come in.

Just looking for some advice, I'm thinking about getting a few things. I plan to do this by hand also.

Wash car obviously, and then I'm thinking about the Nano Autoscrub to start with.
http://www.nanoskinusa.com/products/autoscrub-system/as-001.html

Then using this polishing kit....
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/hand+polish+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks

Not sure as to what wax to use yet, and I also may have some small paint chips I may try to fill. Any suggestions on wax and a good touch-up paint to use?

Xzavier247

Check out detailers domain, Autoality, Autogeek, Chemical guys.
If you want to get swirls out and scratches don't waste your money on hand polish. Youll will be there for days and you will never achieve the results of a DA.
Also, I would suggest Chemical guys XXX or Petes 53 for a budget wax. Other than that I would recommend menzerna power lock or Jet seal.

For the paint chips would suggest you use touch up paint, let it dry, put on another coat, let it cure. Wet sand it with 2500, then polish.
Like this page and Ill help you out! :DatAss:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Refined-Auto-Detailing/204833956333435

Jesse01V6

Well, I will be doing it by hand.

So with that in mind, how should I go about this? Is the Autoscrub still a good thing to do, or should I just use clay? As far as polishing, is there no way to get a half-way decent result by hand?

Is paint correction just out the window since I will be going it by hand?

At least for me, applying some Meguiar's products by hand did the trick using the soft, white cotton based applicators you can buy at AutoZone. The left side is the "after," while the right side shows how striking the difference was after hitting the roof with the Ultimate Compound first, followed by a dedicated polish (Show Car Glaze #7). The furthest left corner was fully wiped off using a terry cloth based rag, as the middle still had some residue left over, as you'll notice.

DSCF3636.jpg

As far as getting the most from the black paint, a friend of mine would use Turtle Wax's Black Box kit on his Honda Fit and saw great success in not only deepening the black exterior, but also bringing out the various blue, teal, etc. flakes in that particular paint. I think your paint correction will depend on how much touch up paint is actually applied, as I've been able to fill some gaps perfectly, but built up too much on certain chips, making it more obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xzavier247

Well, I will be doing it by hand.

So with that in mind, how should I go about this? Is the Autoscrub still a good thing to do, or should I just use clay? As far as polishing, is there no way to get a half-way decent result by hand?

Is paint correction just out the window since I will be going it by hand?

Not necessary out the window. But "Paint correction" Has to be done the right way by using a machine. By hand will always give you a result to a minimum but that is it. If you polish with a machine the result is out of this world.
I can guarantee you that you will save money by hand polishing but you won't achieve that "finish" result. I would save your money and pay for quality products. Don't buy products from AZ or Walmart, You will be disappointed.
As for the Nano auto scrub I would still go for it. It will save you tons of time instead of claying. I would personally skip the Correction and wait until you get a DA.

Not necessary out the window. But "Paint correction" Has to be done the right way by using a machine. By hand will always give you a result to a minimum but that is it. If you polish with a machine the result is out of this world.
I can guarantee you that you will save money by hand polishing but you won't achieve that "finish" result. I would save your money and pay for quality products. Don't buy products from AZ or Walmart, You will be disappointed.
As for the Nano auto scrub I would still go for it. It will save you tons of time instead of claying. I would personally skip the Correction and wait until you get a DA.

We have always used hand applied products from Autozone and Wal Mart and haven't been disappointed yet.

newtra! 111.jpg

The Sentra has been in the family since day one and I've kept up with the paint when possible to keep it looking reasonable throughout its life and avoid the Mustang's fate.

ad (2).jpg

It was a big task trying to bring back the 25 year old paint that had been protected by New Mexico's own sandy build-up on my brother's 2nd Generation RX-7, but the effort was worth the man hours. Black Box and various Meguiar's products (Polishes, compounds, clay bars, and waxes) readily available off-the-shelf were used.

bikini 007.jpg

And here's an ancient photo of our friend's Honda Fit on a beautiful sunset taken by my old 6 Megapixel camera. It sparkled like Crest toothpaste at night. Very refreshing paint job by Honda.

All three are daily driven and have over 100,000 miles on the clock, enduring constant city expansion construction efforts and extensive highway travel. I think that for those who want results that are compliment-worthy by most accounts, but perhaps not up to the standard of a detailer, these products will do the job for the DIY-er who plans on taking on the task without an orbital.

Xzavier247

We have always used hand applied products from Autozone and Wal Mart and haven't been disappointed yet.

View attachment 1153

The Sentra has been in the family since day one and I've kept up with the paint when possible to keep it looking reasonable throughout its life and avoid the Mustang's fate.

View attachment 1154

It was a big task trying to bring back the 25 year old paint that had been protected by New Mexico's own sandy build-up on my brother's 2nd Generation RX-7, but the effort was worth the man hours. Black Box and various Meguiar's products (Polishes, compounds, clay bars, and waxes) readily available off-the-shelf were used.

View attachment 1155

And here's an ancient photo of our friend's Honda Fit on a beautiful sunset taken by my old 6 Megapixel camera. It sparkled like Crest toothpaste at night. Very refreshing paint job by Honda.

All three are daily driven and have over 100,000 miles on the clock, enduring constant city expansion construction efforts and extensive highway travel. I think that for those who want results that are compliment-worthy by most accounts, but perhaps not up to the standard of a detailer, these products will do the job for the DIY-er who plans on taking on the task without an orbital.
As a professional detailer "Keep in mind" I do this every day. I am simply putting it this way, I have years of experience in this field and Walmart products (top shelf) are simply horrible. I am also stating, you will never achieve the same results as a DA period.If you want to use your hand to actually "cut/correct you need to have your hand moving around 6500rpm, You can definitely achieve "gloss" with OTC products but if you want the most out of your money and your paint, a polisher is required. Also you can buy better products for "hand polishing" instead of TW products. Have you heard of Merzerna? Or maybe the v-line series from chemical guys? or maybe XMT products? The products I listed are 100% better than OTC products. Also the pictures you listed are barely polished, But I am just judging by the photos. But with black paint ooohhh boy until you can see yourself clear in the paint then you have achieved the right idea.

Jesse01V6

Well the DA is not in my near future, I have engine things to do before that lol....

But, for a basic detail then with good products, what would you suggest?

Nano scrub to start, should I just skip a polish and go straight to a wax for now?