Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MAC gauges

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by Scott, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Scott

Scott New Member

in the instructions for the white gauges it says you must remove the needles...is this necassary to remove the needles with these gauges?

2. SlowAsStock

SlowAsStock baylorstangs.com

If it's in the instructions, I'd say yes. Make sure you take a picture or make a mark or something to remember exactly where the needles were pointing.

3. Hell_Razor

Hell_Razor Never surrender!!! Off Topic Moderator

The instructions I got in my indiglo set said I needed to remove the needles, but you don't.....all the generic domestic car gauge instructions say to remove your needles first

4. Junior2561

Junior2561 [b]Junior[/b]

so is that a yes or a no??? Get some ppl in here that have used em b4

5. Hell_Razor

so far it's 1 yes & 1 no....I say try to work them over the needles, it's not hard

6. StangNole

StangNole I Love This Car

How hard is the complete installation of these on a 98? I really want to go with these but I'm not that handy and don't know how hard they would be to install.

7. Hell_Razor

8. StangNole

StangNole I Love This Car

about how long does it take to do?

9. 94blackstang

94blackstang New Member

my dad and i just installed the mac guages on my 94 and it takes about half an hour. the hardest part is getting the guage out of the dash. make sure you take a polaroid or something of where the needles are because when you put them back on (and you DO have to take them off) they will most likely not read correctly. the only way to get them even close is to leave the plastic covering off, plug the harnesses back in, and adjust the needles to where they belong while the car is running. because if you have the needles where you think they belong before you hook it up, they will read very inaccurately. make sure you get all of the old guages off. it looked like we did but the line at 50 mph is still black now and its too late to change it.

10. AutoBadges

AutoBadges Well-Known Member

been there and done it, YES YOU MUST TAKE OFF THE NEEDLES WITH MAC GAUGES!! i put them on my brothers GT and my v6, so take it from me YES YOU HAVE TO ;)
    takes about 20 minutes with my skills! about 30-45 as a starter, but well worth it, i upgraded to 5 shaded indiglos that i installed too though :D

11. AutoBadges

AutoBadges Well-Known Member

been there and done it, YES YOU MUST TAKE OFF THE NEEDLES WITH MAC GAUGES!! i put them on my brothers GT and my v6, so take it from me YES YOU HAVE TO ;)
    takes about 20 minutes with my skills! about 30-45 as a starter, but well worth it, i upgraded to 5 shaded indiglos that i installed too though :D

12. Buellwinkle

Buellwinkle New Member

I put them on and regretted it. I think I broke the temp guage because it doesn't work. The lighting at night is uneven and during the day I find the white guages distracting. The best way to calibrate the speedo, because it will be off no matter what you do, is to drive along side someone at a steady speed like 60 with the guage cluster open and stick the needle on at that speed.

And unless you know a magic trick for passing the needles through the plastic sheet then YES you do have to remove the needles and there are very delicate and you have to apply a good amount of force taking the needles off and putting them on. Don't push too hard or the needle will sit too low and get stuck.

13. silvermike91

silvermike91 Cereal Killer at Large

This may be a stupid question, but did you connect your guage cluster properly when you reinstalled - might have left something disconnected and your temp guage doesn't work.

14. Buellwinkle

Buellwinkle New Member

I doubt it's the connector as all other guages work. I might have pushed on it too hard. I need to take it apart anyway as I calibrated the speedo for the 3.45 gears and now I'm back to 2.73s and even after the speedo gear update I need to nudge it forward about 4 mph. The 3.45s were too much for my 16 year old to handle so when she tore the rear end off the car in a spin out I replaced it with stock gearing.

15. musclestang721

musclestang721 Senior Member

sounds like shes gonna be trouble :D