Mac or Windows, And laptop Reccomendation.

Deathdeisel

So guys, im looking for opinions on my choices for a new laptop. Im debating between Mac and Windows 7. Ive used windows all my life, and have played around on Mac and Linux before, but currently my whole family uses Windows 7 or Vista. I know it pretty well, as well as how to do some more complex things with it. But Ive heard that Mac is much more virus safe, and a whole lot less maintenance. (updates, glitches, issues) However I know if I went Mac I would have to go parallels or Dual boot, because im not gunna pay for some of the softwares twice, like MS Office, and I have a handfull of great Windows games.

So im wondering from you guys, is Mac really much better? Or is it not really, considering I already am so far in with windows.

On a second note, Im debating between laptops. Price really isnt a huge deal, but I could see no point in spending more than $1200. Im gunna be using it for school and work on my downtime, so im looking for portability, performance, durability and battery life. Priority of details listed in that order.
Seems like a nice full aluminum build, with good specs for the price besides the monitor.
IdeaPad U310 13.3" Ultrabook™ | Shop | Lenovo | (US) Lenovo U310 ultrabook $620 with student DC
Super thin, light, good screen, cant speak for durability considering I havent touched one.
ThinkPad X1 Carbon | Shop | Lenovo | (US) Thinkpad X1 Carbon $1160 with student DC

The only things i dislike about both lenovos is the HDDs and RAM are soldered on, so no upgrading at all available.

Also looked and like the look moderately of the ASUS Zenbook series.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...05l7l7l0l3l3l0l159l261l0.2l2l0&sort=3&recs=10

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/configure/MD231LL/A? Macbook Air 13"

Configure - Apple Store (U.S.) Macbook Pro 13"

I really like the pro, in terms of ports, ethernet and extra USB are nice, with all the other ultrabooks id have to buy a USB to Ethernet Adapter, which isnt a huge deal but still takes up a USB port. Anyone have any other reccomendations for my criteria?

GrumpyStang

no
Supporting Member
The only reason Mac is safer is because there are less viruses out there targeting them. You really should never get a virus on your computer unless you're an idiot.

CJ

1%
If the Macbook is within your budget, you should definitely go that route. I've been so happy with my Macbook and iMac since getting them

All the Microsoft products can be 'downloaded' onto your Mac and will run even better on the OSX

Derick

Best Of The Best
macs are only for people that don't really understand computers. its just a dumbed down os for simple users.

Holly

it's all in your head
You can also run Windows on a Mac.

I love my Macbook Pro. I am not a dumbed down computer user, as Derick said above about Mac users. I have used (very comfortably and competently) Windows or Linux my whole life until I got my Mac. I still have my Windows and Linux laptops as well. I find I just like this one the best.

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Deathdeisel said:
The only things i dislike about both lenovos is the HDDs and RAM are soldered on, so no upgrading at all available.
If lots of upgrade flexibility in a laptop is a deal breaker, then you are not going to want an Apple either. I suggest laying out a few more bills and future proofing yourself as much as you can, regardless of which one you get.

If there is ever any chance at all you may want to/need to use OSX, I suggest getting a Macbook and dual booting. Other than that, I would recommend staying with Windows if you are comfortable in that environment and don't want to buy new software (although, there are plenty of open source alternative most of the time with varying levels of functionality reproduction).

As for viruses, I can count the number of times I've been infected on one hand, and all of it was from me visiting sketchy sites for hacks, cracks, etc. I've had a blue screen once on my laptop (ended up being a driver issues I resolved) and did have a serious registry issue caused by AVG 2010. My friend's Macbook has been infected before and also experienced software and (numerous) hardware issues, which were promptly taken care of thanks to warranties/Apple Care. **** happens.

FergusonRed6er

Call me Bruno
If you see no point in spending more than $1200, why do you even mention the option for incredibly overpriced macbooks?

If you say that you are good with computers, why do you even mention the virus factor?

Also, if you are worrying about the ram upgrades, why even consider 4 gb of ram laptops when many new ones come with 6 or 8 gb these days. Go to the dell and HP website. You need to broaden your search more. Laptops with 13 and 14 inch screens will always be behind in technology and be slow compared to a 15 inch.

I can vouch that the new HP laptops are pretty damn good, my 15 inch is awesome.

3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR 5 video memory
8GB DDR3 System Memory
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Driv
15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
Backlit Keyboard

comes out to just under $1,200 from the HP website and you could probably find coupons online (I got mine for $300 off). This is an upgraded version of the laptop I currently own and I absolutely love mine. This thing would run any game at medium-high graphics, do anything you need it to, really.

Deathdeisel

If lots of upgrade flexibility in a laptop is a deal breaker, then you are not going to want an Apple either. I suggest laying out a few more bills and future proofing yourself as much as you can, regardless of which one you get.

If there is ever any chance at all you may want to/need to use OSX, I suggest getting a Macbook and dual booting. Other than that, I would recommend staying with Windows if you are comfortable in that environment and don't want to buy new software (although, there are plenty of open source alternative most of the time with varying levels of functionality reproduction).

As for viruses, I can count the number of times I've been infected on one hand, and all of it was from me visiting sketchy sites for hacks, cracks, etc. I've had a blue screen once on my laptop (ended up being a driver issues I resolved) and did have a serious registry issue caused by AVG 2010. My friend's Macbook has been infected before and also experienced software and (numerous) hardware issues, which were promptly taken care of thanks to warranties/Apple Care. **** happens.

I cant really justify spending more than that on a laptop. I would love to be able to add more ram to 8GB, and possibly a bigger/second hard drive, but most of these computers have soldered on everything.

hp envy. do eet.

Nothing special at all to me, and im looking for a very solid build quality.

i vote Dell XPS 17.

Im assuming sarcasm? 17" screen is not portable. Thats more along the line of desktop replacement.

If you see no point in spending more than $1200, why do you even mention the option for incredibly overpriced macbooks?

If you say that you are good with computers, why do you even mention the virus factor?

Also, if you are worrying about the ram upgrades, why even consider 4 gb of ram laptops when many new ones come with 6 or 8 gb these days. Go to the dell and HP website. You need to broaden your search more. Laptops with 13 and 14 inch screens will always be behind in technology and be slow compared to a 15 inch.

I can vouch that the new HP laptops are pretty damn good, my 15 inch is awesome.

3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2GB GDDR 5 video memory
8GB DDR3 System Memory
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Driv
15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
Backlit Keyboard

comes out to just under $1,200 from the HP website and you could probably find coupons online (I got mine for $300 off). This is an upgraded version of the laptop I currently own and I absolutely love mine. This thing would run any game at medium-high graphics, do anything you need it to, really.

Im more looking for portability, 15.6 is just too big imo. And the few computers that do come with Ram upgrades are more designed for gaming, and are there henceforth bigger, thicker, and louder. And if they are ultrabook design with option of adding ram from the manufacturer, its like 100$ extra(I think only the macs can do this). I have a desktop for gaming, 580GTX and whatnot, I mentioned games earlier just as a software reference. Maybe its just me but the HD4000 graphics seem to be good enough for most of my computing needs.

nikko

Admin Emeritus
So you don't think there are less viruses targeting mac users than window users?

Sure there are.

I also think that there are significant architectural differences between Windows and OSX (primarily due to the operating systems they evolved from) that will forever make Windows inherently less secure and more prone to exploitation.

nikko

Admin Emeritus
You need to decide what you want first and then look for products to fit that need.

If you want something super portable, you need to accept that things aren't going to be upgradeable and move on. That's the price you pay to have a ~3 pound ultrabook.

If you decide that's the route you want to go, you will not find a better ultrabook for $1200 than the 13" Macbook Air, period. There is no other system on the market that can compete with the Air in terms of quality, features, and yes, price. Even if you never use OSX and run Windows on it Exclusively, the Air is the best system in that market category.

If you want a larger notebook with more expandability, the value proposition for Macs drops precipitously. I would not consider the "old" 13" Macbook Pro for several reasons, and the new 13" "retina" MBP is clearly out of your price range.

Codi_P

TGOD
You need to decide what you want first and then look for products to fit that need.

If you want something super portable, you need to accept that things aren't going to be upgradeable and move on. That's the price you pay to have a ~3 pound ultrabook.

If you decide that's the route you want to go, you will not find a better ultrabook for $1200 than the 13" Macbook Air, period. There is no other system on the market that can compete with the Air in terms of quality, features, and yes, price. Even if you never use OSX and run Windows on it Exclusively, the Air is the best system in that market category.

If you want a larger notebook with more expandability, the value proposition for Macs drops precipitously. I would not consider the "old" 13" Macbook Pro for several reasons, and the new 13" "retina" MBP is clearly out of your price range.

No.

I'm still voting for the Envy. At less than the price of an air you can have a gen 3 i5 based laptop with a nice dedicated graphics card and 8gb+ ram. Plus they're sleek and very well built, and they still might come with a 2-year warranty.

But, what makes you say the MB Air is somehow the end all to be all for "ultrabooks" (the MBA doesn't even fall into this category)?

GrumpyStang

no
Supporting Member
Sure there are.

I also think that there are significant architectural differences between Windows and OSX (primarily due to the operating systems they evolved from) that will forever make Windows inherently less secure and more prone to exploitation.

meh. Historically Apple OS have been less secure than Windows. Many security experts agree on this fact and point out the fact that Apple has less than a 15% market share as the reason they are targeted less.