Mark VIII swap

JF

Jason
Yes, I'm starting another one of these threads. I'm putting a 4.6 from a 93 Mark into my 2004 v6.

Parts I currently have or are on the way:

full 93 mark viii donor
97 mark viii upper/lower intake/fuel rail
t-45 from 99 cobra
pro 5.0 shifter
all harnesses and ecu/ccrm from 03 GT
clutch
flywheel
longtube headers
offroad H to dumped muffs
radiator
cop valve covers
ignition set
jlt rai
wp ud pulley
driveshaft
oilpan
imrc delete
xcal2

I may be forgetting something here or there.

A few questions:

1)Will hyrdaboost from any year 96+ V8 car work for me? I've read that the lines were different in the older cars.

2)What specific pilot and throwout bearings do i need?

3)T-stat housing. Does it need to be changed? To what, specifically?

4)Radiator overflow tank. From any year v8 car?

5)I know the rear needs changed. I'm doing this conversion for a cheap as possible. For the time being, as long as i resist the temptation of launching, and while i search for a local piece, my 7.5/3.73/tlok rear SHOULD hold up, correct?

6)GT or Cobra radiator hoses? Or are they not different?

7)Anyone think of anything I've missed?

I appreciate any help.

gnatsum95-3.8

2.) pilot bearing are the same for the 4.6, it seems from 79-04 all the pilots were the same.
4.) you have to get resivor tank its not an overflow since modular radiators dont have a fill on them directly
5.) a rear does not cost that much, the amount of money your talking about investing, an extra 300 for a gt take out rear isnt going to break your bank.

some things your not looking into... are you auto or manuel now?? you may need a tranny crossmember
do you have the speedometer from that gt? you are gonna have pats issues if not
im intrested to hear about the hydroboost aswell ive never heard any issues from this but i have 02 lines going in a 95
is the mark a return style fuel system if so you need to get a returnless style.. just some i can think of

JF

Jason
Thanks. Yeah, i meant reservoir. I'm manual now. I'll be getting a GT cluster, but not the specific one. Can't i have pats turned off in my custom tune with my xcal2? Think i read something about the fuel system and what to do. I'll try to find it.

chaoticdismay

the rippin and the tearin
HB manual pedals are different than v6 manual pedals.

The year of the HB does not matter (much); I think the pre99 v8 distribution block/proportioning valve is the same as the 99+ v6 block which would mean a direct swap. If it doesn't fit, you can always buy fitting adapters to adapt your lines to the v8 distribution block (I needed M10 to M12 adapters for my install to fit the smaller line ends into the v8 distribution block).

gnatsum95-3.8

HB manual pedals are different than v6 manual pedals.

The year of the HB does not matter (much); I think the pre99 v8 distribution block/proportioning valve is the same as the 99+ v6 block which would mean a direct swap. If it doesn't fit, you can always buy fitting adapters to adapt your lines to the v8 distribution block (I needed M10 to M12 adapters for my install to fit the smaller line ends into the v8 distribution block).

the manuel pedals can be fixed by 1 of 2 things.

get yourself a hydroboost brake pedal and swap it.OR.. cut off the pin that connects it to the hb and drill a hole threw bolt it with a bushing.

thank you for clearifying line question. and op, your xcal 2 can dissable pats

JF

Jason

get yourself a hydroboost brake pedal and swap it.OR.. cut off the pin that connects it to the hb and drill a hole threw bolt it with a bushing.

Thanks, guys. But i was just thinking on the way home from work and now i wonder about turning off pats with my tuner. will the car even power on(not start) so i can use my xcal?

chaoticdismay

True, the v6 manual pedals can be used if modified, but my post is still correct, technically speaking, as the 2 are different.

chaoticdismay

Thanks, guys. But i was just thinking on the way home from work and now i wonder about turning off pats with my tuner. will the car even power on(not start) so i can use my xcal?

Get your tuner to turn it off and install that new tune prior to doing the swap; no longer a problem.

gnatsum95-3.8

True, the v6 manual pedals can be used if modified, but my post is still correct, technically speaking, as the 2 are different.

you...win... :uhh: not being a "i know it all" just you told the guy what was wrong hes looking for what he needs to do this swap...
and like chaotic and i have said. order a tune for your car before doing this swap. via vmptuning, american muscle i believe can do it also. their are alot of places you can get a email tune from, but after the swap your car will have electronics, i belive they just cut power to your fuel pump and or your fuel injectors. flash your ecu, presto you finished your swap go enjoy your v8

FordMotorsports

As, these guys said before. Go ahead and do yourself a favor and get pedals, hydroboost and distribution block. You can't really check to see how the brakes are going to work with pressure, until you bleed them and hook up the hydroboost. I had adapted my lines and once the system was pressurized I pushed all the fluid out, then had to get the correct lines and do it all while the engine was in the car, which was a MAJOR PITA.

Also on the tune, go ahead and get one loaded into your XCAL, before you start the swap. I just had my key car reflashed at the dealership, but I have a truck and trailer also cost ~110 IIRC.

Thermostat, IIRC the Mark VIII has a oil cooler like the Cobra does. So this means you are going to need a Cobra thermostat housing and all the hoses that go with it.
Looks like this:
attachment.php

100_5895.jpg

JF

Jason
Thanks.

My harnesses and ccrm showed up today from mps. Apparently the ccrm is off an aod car. is that ok?

19mustang95

Walnuts & Applesauce
Just FYI, the older MarkVIII motors came with different springs in the heads instead of the beehive springs that came in later Marks and Cobras.

chaoticdismay

Just FYI, the older MarkVIII motors came with different springs in the heads instead of the beehive springs that came in later Marks and Cobras.

93-95. They also had jackscrews to help hold in the mains vs 96+ mark8s and 99/01 cobras with the teksid block.

JF

Jason

93-95. They also had jackscrews to help hold in the mains vs 96+ mark8s and 99/01 cobras with the teksid block.
neither of which will cause any issues during this initial build, right? just trying to cover all my bases here.

19mustang95

Walnuts & Applesauce

Umm, i thought they all have jackscrews?

And yes, the older valve springs won't allow you to rev as high as the newer factory beehive springs. I can't remember where the MarkVII's redline at.

chaoticdismay

Umm, i thought they all have jackscrews?

And yes, the older valve springs won't allow you to rev as high as the newer factory beehive springs. I can't remember where the MarkVII's redline at.
Nope. Ford changed the design; omitted jackscrews but made the side bolts larger. This goes for 99/01 cobras and, I'm 99% sure, 96+ Mark8s.

Here are pics of my 99 block:

gnatsum95-3.8

your rebuilding this motor?? keep in mind, main bolts, side bolts and head studs are all tty, THEY HAVE TO BE REPLACED!! with either brand new bolts or the better route arp studs, cuz they are reusable.

19mustang95

Walnuts & Applesauce
Nope. Ford changed the design; omitted jackscrews but made the side bolts larger. This goes for 99/01 cobras and, I'm 99% sure, 96+ Mark8s.

Here are pics of my 99 block:

The built motor I had, had jack screws and im pretty positive it was a 96 or 97 cobra block. I'll hace to do more research on when they changed..