Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mega Squirt Tuning

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by greensteeda, Apr 8, 2013.

1. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

That is pretty dang cool. The more I read up on it, the more I am thinking the homework is worth it to do the total swap from stock ecu to total MS.

2. 8byah6

8byah6 Member

Sorry for being late to the thread :eyetwitch:i had a really bad allergic reaction or mini stroke this past weekend ,the docs are trying to figure it out now.I'd recommend going full stand alone and converting to return for the fuel system.you can run a stock coil pack,fan,fuel pump,iac ,and what ever else you desire off the squirt. I'd go ms3x or ms3pro stay clear of the ms1 & 2's.if ya have any questions feel free to call me 877-541-5533 I'm still alittle foggy but I'll do my best to help ya out

3. mustang024

mustang024 Active Member

There he is the MS guru, get well Ron hope its nothing serious!

4. greensteeda

The only question I have now after reading the megabook is what sensors can I use? It looks like the sensors that it works with stock are all GM sensors. How hard is it to convert to the OEM Ford stuff?

5. 8byah6

8byah6 Member

any kind you like ..i've used gm,ford,chrysler,aem and ka sensors open tuner studio go under tools/calibrate thermistor/pick your sensor and it 's that simple

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  6. greensteeda

Very nice. Is there a good starting point to tune the VE and spark tables? I loaded the software but cant seem to get a whole lot going without having the MS unit attached.

7. 8byah6

8byah6 Member

once you register tuner studio there is a table generator that comes in handy.also pm me your e mail and i can send you over one my costumers tunes so you can play with it in the am.

8. greensteeda

Thank you for the tune.

I was playing around with the software a little yesterday and once I found where everything is, it really isn't that bad. I will have to go slowly through a lot of stuff like start up settings and the different enrichment settings. I also spoke with a shop in California that specializes in custom car and race car wiring. This is one of the cars they rewired with a MS system:

Because I am getting a ton of support for this project, it looks like I am going to make the jump to ditch the Ford ECU in favor of the MS2 or MS3 (if cash allows). The nice thing is I can share all of my fuel and timing tables here and the guys using the SCT stuff will still be able to see if I am way off or if things are looking good. It isn't going to be the easier project in the world but I think it will have massive benefits once the car is actually racing.

Now it looks like I will have to do the following:
    Convert fuel system to return style - custom fuel rails, regulator, new lines, much bigger injectors (#60+).
    Ditch MAF
    Wire all sensors, injectors, and coil pack to the MS and start tuning.

I will have to convert to a new dash setup for a tach but I think everything else will be dummy lights. Instead of spending a bunch of money on gauges I will just put warning lights for low fuel level, low voltage, and anything else I need. Hopefully this project will get rolling soon and the payoff be worth it in the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  9. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I hear speed density is where it's at with a turbo car. A little more complicated to tune than a maf but there is more control and the engine actually knows when it's in boost.

I'd like to make the switch to full stand alone but dont have the cash at thins point. Plus the sct stuff should get me to where I want.

10. greensteeda

Thats the information I am getting in a lot of places as well. If I already had all the SCT tuning stuff it wouldn't be worth it right now but because I don't have anything, I am free to choose what direction to go.

11. Jesse01V6

Jesse01V6 Away from V6's for now........

I'm excited for you Diller, I would really love to get my 408 fox going....

I'll be running MS3 with this......
    307603_web.jpg

12. greensteeda

So for the people that have wired in a MS, I have a question about the ignition coil.

Because the V6 uses a coil pack with no controller external to the ECU, what modifications are needed for the MS 2/3 to drive the coil. I see that it is a "wasted spark" system so the configuration should be straight forward once the hardware is in place.

Also, the MS3 is the only version that comes with individual injector drivers. If I go with the MS 2, each bank fires together, not what I want. I see there is a MS2 sequencer in existence but can't seem to find where to get it. Thanks for the help fellas.

13. 8byah6

8byah6 Member

Get your hands on a edis6 or quad spark mod.or you can also fab. your own coil drivers to run the stock coil pack .the only issue with the edis is you won't have a rev limiter and won't be able to use launch control.as for the ms2 it can fire each bank alternating. as for full sequential on a ms2 just buy a three with a expander you'll be starting in a better place and happier in the long run

14. greensteeda

I think the 3X may be the way to go. It already has 5V logic outputs for coil drivers and fully sequential fuel injection. Plus the USB and SD card outputs are pretty nice. The only downside is the 3X is significantly more expensive than the 2 with the modifications.

15. 8byah6

8byah6 Member

Key word logic your stock coil pack is dumb.The ms3x will drive a ls coil fine but you'll need the spark mods if you want to use the stock coil pack.

16. greensteeda

So the MS3X still needs an additional modification to work with the stock coil pack. I was under the assumption that the expansion card would take care of that to where I only need to wire the harnesses together.

This is the information I got:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/quadspark/using_the_quadspark_ms_mods.htm

Edit. I see what is going on there. Looks like I still need the quadspark module.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  17. 8byah6

8byah6 Member

if your trying to do this as cheap you can always ditch the coil pack and run a ms2 with a distributor.

18. greensteeda

It may be the cheapest to do the MS2 with the quadspark mod. I thought about the LS coil near plug setup and that got expensive quick.

19. greensteeda

Would anybody be willing to send me what RPM and KPAs they are using for a 12X12 tuning table for fuel and spark?