Might be a stupid question..

DanF

OK so I blew my intake manifold gasket, so I've stripped the engine down to the block,,heads off, going to lap the valves, port and polish the heads, and intake, My question is, I've been running synthetic oil, now I'm going to have to drain the water and oil out of the block, I know to change the oil, run for ten minutes, and change oil again, but my question is do I have to use synthetic oil for the first 10 minute oil change? or can I run cheap oil? thank you..Dan

douglass

If it was me I would run basic oil. I'll ask a mechanic buddy tomorrow to see if he suggests to do anything else.

DanF

If it was me I would run basic oil. I'll ask a mechanic buddy tomorrow to see if he suggests to do anything else.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking, but I know that once you use synthetic your not suppose to run anything else..so thank you..I was thinking it will be expensive chain saw bar oil,,,once I get done if I use synthetic...

DanF

Pull the lower radiator hose from the water pump to drain the block.
Huh? I'm replacing the water pump, it's not bad, but since I have the engine tore down to the block, now is the time to change, so it's already off,,it's the Oil I'm wondering about..but thanks..

KirkComer

1999 3.8L 5 Speed
I have used cheap oil on startup of every head replacement/engine rebuild I've ever did. Its just something to flush any crap out of the engine.

douglass

Alright, his response was besides flushing the coolant, and engine not much else to do. He did say do NOT use an engine flush when doing it. Just use normal oil for the engine. As far as the coolant system goes, Maybe just run water through it until its clean. I would bet more water got into the engine, than oil into the coolant system. Hope that helps.

DanF

Alright, his response was besides flushing the coolant, and engine not much else to do. He did say do NOT use an engine flush when doing it. Just use normal oil for the engine. As far as the coolant system goes, Maybe just run water through it until its clean. I would bet more water got into the engine, than oil into the coolant system. Hope that helps.

DanF

Yeah I'm going to flush the coolant, I'm replacing the water pump, so it don't go out a week down the road to much stuff in the way, change it while apart, but the oil was my main concern, didn't want to screw up, after all the work I'm doing..took the heads off, cleaned them, and polished, lapped the valves, got a whole engine gasket kit, so figured why not, waiting on water pump anyway..LOL. going to swap out the air cleaner also,,now I've created a monster with my Bro in law, he use to rebuild z cars for racing, so now I guess I'm going to keep a eye out for a 4.2 block, and rebuild {hop up} it for when I need a engine..One other question, do you know if a 5.0 throttle body will fit on the 3.8 {?} he's telling me about that also,,if it will fit..

iamshelbysdad

What do you think of this water pump
1490703674554.jpg
1490703695065.jpg
1490703760016.jpg

KirkComer

1999 3.8L 5 Speed
If you haven't already did so you should take your heads to a local machine shop to get them resurfaced. I never trust aluminum heads. The shop I took mine to resurfaced and installed the new valve seals i got in the head gasket kit for around $100

6 Shooter

Plus, there is a lot of metal in the coolant system somewhere. Would check the thermostat for clogging at a minimum.

ProjectVicky

Wrench Monkey
..took the heads off, cleaned them, and polished, lapped the valves, got a whole engine gasket kit, so figured why not, waiting on water pump anyway..LOL. going to swap out the air cleaner also,,now I've created a monster with my Bro in law, he use to rebuild z cars for racing,
I used to own a 280zx (the last year they were considered Datsuns before they were officially Nissans, I think 82). I take it your confidence in porting and polishing the heads yourself rather than a shop comes from previous experience?

DanF

Well to be honest, it's the confidence in my Bro in law, He's that good, and yeah that's the era z's he use to do, he started when they where 240's, and has been doing motors ever since. and the heads looked pretty good, so we just polished, we did however port the intake. seemed like that's where the restriction was.

KirkComer

1999 3.8L 5 Speed
What do you think caused the water pump to do that? My cars original water pump had been in the car since it was new. I replaced it at 135,000 when my head gaskets give out but my pump propeller still looked like new. Maybe wrong coolant or just a poorly made pump?

ProjectVicky

Wrench Monkey
Well to be honest, it's the confidence in my Bro in law, He's that good, and yeah that's the era z's he use to do, he started when they where 240's, and has been doing motors ever since. and the heads looked pretty good, so we just polished, we did however port the intake. seemed like that's where the restriction was.
Those inline six engines made for a very light fast car. I've had two v8s, a v6, and the Z with an inline six and the Z was probably the quickest car I ever owned. I've never done engine work but I've always wanted to try, so I figured V6 Mustangs are currently cheap enough (not to mention they are in every junkyard in the US) if I screw up, I won't hate myself.