Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Moates quarterhorse with dongle

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by fasterthanyou, Apr 7, 2019.

1. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Hey guys I am posting up my quarterhorse for sale since I got my mustang running on the megasquirt.

It will come with the moates quarterhorse chip, usb dongle (which allows you to use binary editor), tuning cable, supplied battery, and sticker that came with the chip. This is "used" but practically new since I have only had around 4 hours of runtime on my car with the quarterhorse.

Asking price is 300 shipped in the U.S.

The chip new from core tuning is 249, the dongle from core tuning is 60, then they charge 20 for shipping.

You would need to buy a token(96 dollars) from core tuning to use this to tune your own vehicle unless its an a9l computer. Pretty sure a9l strategies are free from them.

How the token system works is that you select which strategy you need for your car via a vehicle selection menu on coretuning's website. Then locate the strategy in the binary editor software strategy selection, Download the file then use the token to unlock read/write ability.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am familiar with QH/BE as well as 3.8 mustangs in general. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

I need to educate myself further, but I might be interested. I do have some questions though.

1) Moates has a new unit list price of $249. So, what extras do you have that justifies the $300 price?

2) What year V6 engines will the QuarterHorse you're selling support?

3) I have a bone stock 94 3.8L to use initially, but have the parts to go to 4.2L with 2000 heads, EFI, etc. and a F150 4.2l crankshaft. In the later case, I'll have to get someone to do the tune for me after the 4.2L is built & running. How would that change be handled using the QuarterHorse you have?

Thanks,

Lonnie

3. fasterthanyou

the QH chip new is 249, they charge another 160 for the binary editor software on the usb dongle.

This dongle allows you to use binary editor on any computer rather than having binary editor locked to a specific computer.

Then they charge 20 dollars for shipping.

300 shipped is a better deal than buying these things seperately. As stated you would need to buy a token from coretuning to unlock whichever strategy your vehicles ecu uses. The token is 96 dollars.

To get your vehicle up and running with binary editor and quarterhorse would cost you 396 all said and done.

Just to clarify that I don't have anything to do with the token aspect of it. You do that when you download the binary editor software on your laptop. You go to coretuning.net to download the latest version of binary editor and so purchase the token for the strategy file you need.

As far as your build plans, the year motor you use has no affect on which strategy you need. The strategy you need is based on the ecu you're using. The ecu catch code is what you're looking for. Its a 4 digit catch code that consists of letters and numbers which is printed in large black letters on the connector of the ecu.

For example my 2000 mustang that I had this on for a short time had an ecu catch code of BEH2. The strategy file I unlocked to tune with was CVBA0.

Your ecu catch code and strategy file will be different. Same concept.

4. fasterthanyou

Attached is a screenshot from coretuning's website showing what they charge for the usb dongle with binary editor.

Attached Files:

5. Eduardo flores

Eduardo flores New Member

Would you be willing to sell just the dongle?

6. fasterthanyou

Sorry, not at this time Ed. I'm going to post on some more active forums first before attempting to separate them.

I'll give it 2 weeks. If no bites then we can talk about the dongle. If you get one before then, then no worries.

7. Eduardo flores

Eduardo flores New Member