Monkey is the last exotic animal still at large in Ohio

Zues

Go Green! Go White!
Law enforcement officials said Wednesday afternoon that they had accounted for all but one of a menagerie of animals released from an Ohio farm, with just a monkey remaining on the loose. Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said a missing bear and mountain lion were shot dead and a lion made it to a private backyard, where it died. They were among 56 exotic animals released Tuesday from Terry Thompson's farm outside Zanesville, according to sheriff's deputies.They said Wednesday afternoon that a wolf, previously unaccounted for, had been killed Tuesday night.

Deputies warned the monkey may be infected with the herpes B virus.

Lutz said preliminary investigations indicated that Thompson, 62, pried open cages and left the farm's fences open and then died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Authorities were waiting on the results of an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.Flashing signs on the highways in eastern Ohio warned motorists Wednesday: "Caution. Exotic animals." Schools were closed, and some frightened residents said they were keeping to their homes as sheriff's deputies hunted lions, tigers, leopards and grizzly bears.

As of Wednesday afternoon, authorities had killed 49 animals -- 18 tigers, 17 lions, six black bears, two grizzly bears, three mountain lions, two wolves and a baboon. Another grizzly bear, three leopards and two monkeys had been captured and taken to a zoo, Lutz said.

:stare:

LilRoush

Rare Roush Collector
Nope. As someone who works with zoos and trained for ERT, it's shoot to kill on these types of escaped animals. They are doing the right thing to contain the situation.
Zoos don't just 'take' animals. There is a lot of paper work, funding, budgeting, permits etc to deal with.

3.8Mateo

Wild and Free bro
Especially with predatory cats, I wouldn't be out hunting them at night with a tranquilizer. Last thing I want is getting my face mauled by the ****ing king of the jungle while not having a fighting chance.

LilRoush

Rare Roush Collector
I forgot to metion zoos lack space. It's not like they have a lot of open enclosures tht are up to spec to house animals like this.

After reading more into it, seems like the State dropped the ball on this guy. His history of non-compliance with animal safety prior to this shows that this was coming. There are standards places like this are held to. When you miss the mark as much as he has, he shouldn't have had them in the first place.

They shot a tiger with a tranquilizer and it just got pissed off. They then shot it with a bullet as it made it's way towards a residential neighborhood. Bad situation no matter what.

sgramer

Big LoZer
I can't believe they're killing them all. Ever hear of tranquilizers?

Nope. As someone who works with zoos and trained for ERT, it's shoot to kill on these types of escaped animals. They are doing the right thing to contain the situation.
Zoos don't just 'take' animals. There is a lot of paper work, funding, budgeting, permits etc to deal with.

I thought that too. They had an interview with the head of the Ohio zoo, and he addressed the tranquilizer issue. He said they would not be knocked out quick enough, thus killing them was the only way. He did say the zoo would take the rescue animals. Very sad to see all those animals killed. :-(

Deathdeisel

It really is a shame, i understand their reasoning for shooting the animals, but tigers especially are endangered, and you would think maybe they could make some special effort. But again, this is speculation and from someone who doesnt really know. Either way really sad.

babz

If specified
What we don't know about the monkey is that secretly it was a test subject for different medications and now it carries the T-Virus. It will surface randomly soon, bite its first vicitim and...

FIRST ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

Calling It

K33NAN

It amazes me that we(my state) has to let dumb **** like this happen before we decide we have to actually regulate it. Hey...maybe it isn't the best idea for joe across the street to have 18 tigers...nah, what's the worst that could happen? There may have been better ways to handle the animals...or maybe not. Regardless, they never should have been there in the first place.

/rant