Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

more power would be nice.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by MC2002, Sep 24, 2014.

1. MC2002

MC2002 Member

Hello,

I have a 2002 convertible V6 3.8. its a very clean car with 73K miles. the only thing that bothers me is the all out lack of HP. it seems weak, it wont even break the tire loose (ya, not diff lock.. hmmm I'll have to fix that). I am considering pulling the motor and I would like to do something with the heads for better air flow, maybe even get new heads and a mild cam. I have experience with hands on, I have done lots of change outs over the years with items that will bolt in with no modification. I am NOT an engine builder, I would like some advise as to what heads I should look for and cam so I have a good everyday driver (weather permitting) stored winters.

or should I sell the car and get something different?

I have installed CAI. and performance sway bars (yes I installed on in the back) this pony really handles..

this is what I am thinking of doing. Bama tunes.. considering a supercharger but the price tag of $4k is hard to get past and it looks like a pain to install.
    I would like to also put 3.73 racing gears and a diff lock in.

any advise?

thank you in advance

M

2. pookie jackson

pookie jackson Member

IMO you should sell your car and buy a GT. This way you have almost no down time. If it was a higher mileage car or something you bought for under $1,000 then I would say swap a lincoln mark 8 engine since theyre 4v and aluminum block and I see then for under $1,000 quite often.

3. pookie jackson

pookie jackson Member

I bought my 86 GT for $550 on craigs with a blown engine so I bought a 2000 v6 mustang motor for $135 with 80k and swapped it from auto to manual at the same time. The first thing I do with a car is strip out all the bs I dont need and gut most of the interior but I wouldnt reccomend that for a car you plan on selling in the future.

I tried to edit my first post but I couldnt do it with my phone for some reason.

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

MC2002 welcome to the site.

By your description it sounds like you have a relatively clean and unmolested mustang. That is in and of itself something to be proud of.

As for power I think you've already got the basic options figured out: modify or change cars. Whichever of these two you choose ought to have a lot to do with where you're at in life.

Modifying a car tends to consume a lot of time, which will be your single most valuable commodity, On the other hand Ford is just about ready to release a pretty amazing new generation of mustangs and there are other pretty good options inside and outside of the blue oval. The neat thing is the out-going S197.5 is dropping in price rapidly as the S550 hits the lots, and is a pretty good chassis.

You did share that your mustang is a 2002 convertible. Is it equipped with a manual or automatic transmission? Aside from the CAI and sway bars is it bone stock? How adverse are you to busting knuckles turning wrenches?

5. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Member

It's hard to advise without insight as to what your expectations are in terms of a satisfactory performance goal.

190 horsepower isn't that impressive these days, I guess, but I've managed to have fun with less on tap than that. I haven't had my '99 V6 Mustang more than week, but one thing I liked about the 3.8 immediately when I first drove one was how much of whatever it makes is available at fairly low rpm where I can use it. If I ever do outgrow the power level of the car, I wouldn't be too inclined to throw money at it trying to boost naturally aspirated power. It seems to me that boosting naturally aspirated horsepower comes at a price I don't want to pay -a higher rpm engine with a narrower, more peaky power band and a significantly higher rpm torque peak over stock. I do think that supercharging would let me preserve the poweband while giving me more power across the board, so I think if I ever do want for more power than I've got, forced induction with internal mods geared more toward longevity and reliability under mild boost than power gains would be the route I would prefer to take.

In my case, I didn't pay a whole lot for my car, and I will likely never get out of it what I put in to it just to bring it back to well-sorted stock condition. I'm going to be overhauling the suspension, brakes, rear axle, transmission, and engine, plus fresh paint, new tires and wheels... So, for me, selling it of to buy a V8 isn't likely to be cheaper than supercharging if I decide I need more power, someday. Also, in my case, my Mustang is a toy and not something I need to rely on as a serious transportation tool. I enjoy wrenching on hobby cars like this. I don't really enjoy it all that much on daily-driver vehicles. On a hobby car, if a repair or mod isn't going as well as I hoped or planned, I've got nothing but time and money to burn in seeing the outcome through, and if I get frustrated, I can leave it and come back to it some other time. On a daily driver, there is usually the pressure, to me, at least, of having to have a successful repair done within a time constraint and that, to me, takes most of the fun out.

If I had a V6 Mustang that I had to rely on as a serious daily driver appliance as much as fun hobby car, and if that Mustang was in high condition with low miles and some secondary market value, and if I wasn't happy with the vehicle, I might be inclined to sell it and buy something that WOULD meet my performance expectations in stock or very mildly modified form. Otherwise, if I didn't need to rely on the car as a serious transportation device so that my life wouldn't be impacted by downtime, I might opt for a re-gear, addition of limited slip, and supercharging. Point is, how I would address the issue is situational.

I do think that a basicallty stock V6 convertible with a blower and a limited slip differential would be a fun "sleeper" kind of car.... ;).

6. ohenrybar

ohenrybar New Member

I’m interested in bumping the power of my 2004 V6 Stang up to be competitive with the V8’s of it’s time. Sure it may cost more then just trading it for something faster but it was the car I learned to drive on. It has never been winter driven and it’s in amazing shape. There’s too much of an emotional attachment to simply trade it in.