Moving The Overdrive

Hawkeye4077

MSTROFPPPETS-XBOXLIVE
I own a 2001 Auto V6
I would like to move my overdrive button. I want to use the "dead button" by the traction control button. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to go about doing this.

Hawkeye4077

MSTROFPPPETS-XBOXLIVE
No not exactly, my stang is in the shop for the time being so i have been thinking of some mods to do to my interior. I want to move the over drive and use either a pistol grip or t handle shift knob.
Im also working on dying my interior all black and swapping my grey carpet with black carpet. Im also debating buying a new Momo racing wheel, and sport seats just for looks.

Hawkeye4077

MSTROFPPPETS-XBOXLIVE
Nice that is pretty much exactly what i was looking for in a shift knob.
Is there anyway at all to swap the shift stick on an auto?

2kids3pets

Williteverend
I got the boot from www.redlinegoods.com and the knob from DiscountMotorsports.net…both forum sponsors. Remove the stock knob and cut the O/D wires (you need to relocate the O/D button. the red one in my pic) then remove the shift bezel…I used hot glue to attach the boot to the bezel. Reassemble in reverse order and install an O/D button of you choice (I got mine from a local electronic shop…$2.99)…NOTE..the O/D button is a momentary switch that is normally open…not just an on/off switch!

Hawkeye4077

MSTROFPPPETS-XBOXLIVE
Thanks for all the replys. I really like the setup you have, hopefully ill have my car back from the body shop soon so i can get everything together.

Hawkeye4077

MSTROFPPPETS-XBOXLIVE
If anyone is still reading this post do you know where to get either a Momo or Sparco wheel adapter? The only one i have been able to find is for up to an 88

pianomanbj

Greetings! I have been viewing 3.8mustang.com for a while now, and finally joined up! I do have a question. I was working on changing the shifter and boot in my auto, and as I was removing the stock shifter knob I pulled to hard...yeah, I pulled the wires out of the O/D switch! Nothing terrible, except I can't wire the stock O/D button back on (no way to connect the wires). I was wondering what kind of contact switch is needed to serve the purpose of the O/D button. I know that when you hit the stock button while the car is running, the O/D turns off. If you turn the engine off, or take the key out, or whatever, the O/D returns to default (dash light off). I am wondering if the stock O/D is a momentary contact switch that signal's the computer to turn the O/D on or off --Or can I just get a standard button that connects the two wires? Thanks in advance for the help!

Daniel-San

Actually, I had a similar question to the one above... how would you rig it so the momentary switch is normally closed? Can I just buy the switch that way, or is the closed/open status upon ignition something built into the car's computer?

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Greetings! I have been viewing 3.8mustang.com for a while now, and finally joined up! I do have a question. I was working on changing the shifter and boot in my auto, and as I was removing the stock shifter knob I pulled to hard...yeah, I pulled the wires out of the O/D switch! Nothing terrible, except I can't wire the stock O/D button back on (no way to connect the wires). I was wondering what kind of contact switch is needed to serve the purpose of the O/D button. I know that when you hit the stock button while the car is running, the O/D turns off. If you turn the engine off, or take the key out, or whatever, the O/D returns to default (dash light off). I am wondering if the stock O/D is a momentary contact switch that signal's the computer to turn the O/D on or off --Or can I just get a standard button that connects the two wires? Thanks in advance for the help!
Actually, I had a similar question to the one above... how would you rig it so the momentary switch is normally closed? Can I just buy the switch that way, or is the closed/open status upon ignition something built into the car's computer?
The power up status of the O/D is controlled by an ECU setting, not the switch itself. The default, of course, is to turn O/D on with power.
So all you need is a momentary two prong switch.

Daniel-San

The power up status of the O/D is controlled by an ECU setting, not the switch itself. The default, of course, is to turn O/D on with power.
So all you need is a momentary two prong switch.
OK, I can't tell if the answer I'm looking for is in there or not. :eek: I used to have a 4-Runner and its default power-up status was OD off. I would actually prefer this in the Mustang, so can I change the ECU setting with a chip, or am I just gonna have to live with it?

Kuplex

Retired Admin
OK, I can't tell if the answer I'm looking for is in there or not. :eek: I used to have a 4-Runner and its default power-up status was OD off. I would actually prefer this in the Mustang, so can I change the ECU setting with a chip, or am I just gonna have to live with it?
Sorry. :eek:

The ECU defaults the O/D to ON. The switch is just a simple momentary switch and can be switched to another without issue.
To change the default setting in the ECU, you'd have to change the setting. I don't know if this can be done with a hand held like Livewire, if you can do it with the SCT Racing package, or if a tuner has to do it with a tune (chip or tuner).