Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MT82 Transmission

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by JpL4K3, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

People that are driving the 2011+ mustang what has your experience been with the mt82 transmission, so far I have 3,000 miles on my car and I find it sometimes it can be stubborn when shifting into 2nd gear, but other then that so far so good. Post up!

2. Kite Flyer

Kite Flyer New Member

Of course I found out about some of the reported problems with the MT-82 after I bought a car with one. But so far no problems at all other than getting used to a 6-speed after driving 5-speeds. Most of the miles on my car are freeway or country two-lane, so easy miles and I so far have done zero hard launches. I also always let the car warm-up for a few minutes and then a slow crawl down our dusty gravel road to keep it clean which also gives the tranny oil a chance to warm-up.

Kite Flyer

3. ShortySmalls

ShortySmalls Member

5500 miles after owning the car around 6 months, and its still going strong. Ive never owned a stick before, so im still going to say the 2nd gear issue is me not having the right touch for it. And i did figure out that a slow shift will go right in, vs fast shifting it gets stuck on the gates.

4. Jsimmons

Jsimmons Member

Does anyone know if the (2011+) MT82 in the V6 is the same as the MT82 in the V8?

5. SuperSixer38

SuperSixer38 New Member

Theres a TSB out for the MT82 trans. It states that you may encounter difficulty shifting. To solve this, drain the synthetic trans fluid and replace it with dual clutch fluid. The TSB was posted in the 3.7 section. Check it out to see the full TSB

6. blown245

blown245 Member

So what do I need to drop a mt-82 into my 4.0? It has to be loads stronger then the crappy t5. same clutch spline?

7. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

I'd much rather a Tremec over the MT82

8. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

the mt82 seems to be a very shitty trans. i wouldnt put it on the 4.0 if i were you. now the A6 or whatever the auto is called, they are stout as hell.

9. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

Secret sauce = Amsoil Synchromesh. Cures cold start shifting issues as well.

10. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

I've gotten use to the shifting characteristics of my MT82, and think I got "one of the good ones", but there's just so many horror stories on them. Hopefully Ford stops having these assembled in China on the next generation mustang.

11. blown245

blown245 Member

well I have completely obliterated 3rd gear on 2 T5's already and it IS going to happen a 3rd time so I need a strong trans to fall on, unless you guys know where I can get a built T5?

12. Kite Flyer

Kite Flyer New Member

I think I got a good one too. Those "shifting characteristics" though have to account for some of the problems, getting used to a 6-speed I will admit took a while even for me and I am used to some pretty funky shifting on a mid-engine car. I hope Ford stops making them in China and puts a shift gate in.

Kite Flyer

13. blown245

blown245 Member

I could never go back to auto. I have a R33 skyline gts25t that is auto and I hate not having full control over everything. plus I hate the sound of auto's

14. blown245

blown245 Member

Its also full jap spec with right hand drive and all :D but im selling it and my bike to get the built 4.0 bottom end from ssm

Echonan likes this.
  15. TaylorGT

TaylorGT What the deuce?

I've gotten one of the good MT-82s I think. Like you said its really stubborn going into second a lot but I've figured out if you work it just right it'll shift smoothly. To me, it kind of feels like the terminator transmission where you really have to baby it into 2nd.

I've heard really good reviews and experience from adding the Barton (or Steeda, or whoever else makes them) shifter brackets. It's on my list of planned mods for as cheap as it is. The stock bracket is a flimsy joke.

16. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

I've been pleased with the MGW on my 2002.. so MGW will go on my 2012 as well, it looks beast too.

17. TaylorGT

TaylorGT What the deuce?

Noice. I don't think I'm going to go any shorter on my shifts, i like where its at now lol.

I just picked up a custom shift knob thats weighted to nearly 2 lbs with grip tape. Being made this week. Can't wait to get it on and have some weight to help the shifts.

18. TaylorGT

TaylorGT What the deuce?

19. Feyd

Feyd Member

If you're willing to spend for it the Tremec T56 is supposed to be silky and bullet proof. Check out moderndriveline.com

20. Feyd

Feyd Member

I initially swapped fluid to Redline MTL and was not impressed with the modest improvement, I still got locked out of 2nd regularly.
    Next, I swapped to the recommended Motorcraft Dual Clutch and it made a noticeable difference. I only got stopped going to 2nd once but it was still chunky.

I recently installed an MGW Race Spec shifter and I'm loving it. The springs are much stiffer and it takes effort to push down for reverse. If you tend to drive with your hand on the shift knob you will notice it vibrates more but that's a bad habit you should shake anyway ;) Sometimes there is still the slightest resistance to 2nd so I will most likely add the XL-18, MT-82 Transmission Additive even though it is apparently no longer recommended as the only possible downside I can dig up is that some additives with high sulfur contend eat brass. The additive does not have a lot of sulfur. Or so I read. So when I have time I am adding it as I already have it.

So at this point the transmission is acceptable and the shifter is incredible and I don't have to save up $5,500 plus labor to install the T56 and I can move toward getting an aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 rear gear.