Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mustang coilover disclaimer

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by tedness, Sep 3, 2009.

1. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

As most of you may know, our cars were never designed with coilovers in mind and therefore this can be an issue depending on your setup.

I've got Bilstein struts with a Maximum Motorsports coilover kit and despite endless adjustments to the caster and camber, the spring still rubs on the outward-most part of the car.

The most common issue is strut and tire clearance, and I've never heard of my issue before. So I called MM and spoke to their tech guy and he advised I grind or hammer down the area where its rubbing.

Tomorrow I plan to tackle this project but just wanted to throw it out there in case some of yall were considering coilovers and had a problem like this that you were never able to diagnose.

/end rant

2. Duke

Duke God

Diller had this problem. He just ran a shorter coil. I'm sure wheel spacers would be fine as well.

3. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

I had to run shorter coils and wheel spacers. Some people use air hammers to make extra room in the strut tower. This is nothing new though.

4. Duke

Duke God

You went with a 8x2.5 spring, right?

5. 03FR500

03FR500 I'd Hit It

I have this problem although very very minor, it only happens at full lock and with the left suspension compressed quite a bit. One of the easiest fixes is more negative camber. Next time I take the suspension apart I will get under there and bang on it to clearance it. An easy way to diagnose it is to check and see if any paint is rubbing off the springs. I didn't have any problem with the wheel and tire rubbing the c/o.

I use a 10"x2.5 350# spring.

6. punypony

punypony Sleeper

I haven't checked mine, but i am running at least -2.5* of camber....so i guess i need to take a look see next time the wheels are off.

7. greensteeda

Correct.

Yeah, I don't know many people that have problems between -1.5 and -2.5 * camber but if you want a more or less than that range you could run into issues with the strut tower.

Tedness, you may want to try loosening the spindle mounts and pulling the top of the spindle out. Bilstiens have a little wiggle room to get some more clearance.

8. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

I'm not sure a shorter coil would help this problem. but let me know what you think based on this diagram:

Essentially, no matter how I adjust the camber/caster, the spring rubs against that part of the body. Max negative camber has never given me rubbing issues anywhere.

[​IMG]

9. blainestang

blainestang 3 Mustangs, 0 Spoilers

Yeah, it's not always a simple bolt-in type thing with coilovers on Mustangs. I had the spring rubbing on the INNER side of the strut tower (on my Fox), so I went with SN95 control arms. Now I've got... um... a LOT of negative camber haha. Not that this story HELPS you, but just another case of changing stuff to make coilovers work.

So, how bad is the interference? Is it when you're trying to "center" the steering or is it at one end? etc.

It couldn't hurt to try pulling the top of the strut outward (and pushing the bottom inward, if possible) like Diller said.

10. Brandon

Brandon Better Than Sliced Bread!

As with many aspects in life, when in doubt bang it out.

11. SiK98GT

SiK98GT It Wasn't Me.........

wow this is really making me not want coil overs. I guess i will get a tubular K member with spring perches.

12. blainestang

There can be some challenges, but it's well worth it in the end.

13. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

not too sure what you're saying there...

do you mean where the spindle mounts to the struts or the where the spindle mounts to the a-arm?

it interferes exclusively on left-hand turns when the driver's side strut loses its most amount of negative camber.

still not sure how i would push the strut inward from the bottom.

14. greensteeda

The strut to spindle mounting holes have a little play so you can get a different camber at the wheel but have the strut at the same angle. You may want to loosen both nuts and pull the top of the tire out. This will allow you to run a little more camber at the plates but not at the wheel. It could give you a touch extra room. And if that doesn't work...BFH it.

15. blainestang

Sometimes, there is some play in the strut mounting holes... meaning, the bolts are significantly smaller diameter than the strut mounting holes. If you take advantage of that difference and pull the spindle away from the strut as you tighten it down, you'll gain a LITTLE clearance as the strut will sit *slightly* further back relative to the spindle.

Hopefully that was understandable. :)

16. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

ahh ok i see now. ya clearance was pretty tight with the bolts and the holes so i'll probably end up just hammering or dremmeling out where it keeps getting caught.

MM advised I don't use a shorter spring unless I do some serious weight reduction (like Diller has done) so I'm just gonna go to town on the body.

17. greensteeda

Try to avoid removing material via grinder or dremmel. I would stick to moving the material if needed.

18. tedness

tedness Mellow Yellow

why is that? MM said grinding down would be fine depending on the location and it doesnt appear to be a viable structural point on the car.

19. greensteeda

It may not be a structural important section but I would think you could clear out a lot more room without weakening that section too much by using a hammer.

20. 03FR500

03FR500 I'd Hit It

Mine would only need to be clearanced a few millimeters, it barely rubs enough to wear the paint away on the spring. Few taps with a hammer and I think I'd be fine.