Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My $1300, 2005 Mustang

Discussion in '2005-2014 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by Austin Klinedinst, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Got some more work done yesterday.

[​IMG]

Putting the carpet in for now, but it'll probably have to come back out so I can get the insulation in later.
    [​IMG]

Figured it'd be a good opportunity to wash the brackets and stuff on the seats while they were out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In retrospect, I'm going to need to find a way to hold this down with some velcro or something, because slicing it with a razor blade wasn't the best idea I've ever had. You can see that the carpet is sliding out and getting in the way of my foot, so I'm def going to need to figure something out.
    [​IMG]

Had some trouble with the center console. Before I wash it, it looks like this.
    [​IMG]

Then I scrub it and put interior shiny cleaner stuff on it and it still looks like this.
    [​IMG]

So I left it out of the car for now, thinking I'm just going to repaint it.

Remember how I took that piece out to sand and paint for the center of the dash and how it was disgustingly dirty?
    [​IMG]

Well since I still haven't sanded and painted that piece I took this opportunity to clean that as well.
    [​IMG]

The armrest area in the back was pretty dirty. Figured I'd get that clean before I get the seats back in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I moved on to the shifter. The top cover on it was broken.
    [​IMG]

So two little dabs of super glue...
    [​IMG]

And while the super glue dries, I decided to clean out the trunk. Remember all the trash that was in it in the first post? I just knew it was gonna be nasty under the carpet as well. But surprisingly it wasn't THAT bad. Just covered in dirt.
    [​IMG]

So I sprayed it down with cleaner, took a brush to it, hosed it out and drained it. And it was just fine.
    [​IMG]

Put the rear seats back in.
    [​IMG]

Went ahead and cleaned off the door sill plates. I'll probably give them to my wife as her have a lot more scuffs on them.
    [​IMG]

Now let's see if the super glue on the shifter cover held:

Yep!

I did not think about one thing though, no cup holders for my coffee on the way to work this morning though.
    [​IMG]

2. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Got some more work done yesterday.

[​IMG]

Putting the carpet in for now, but it'll probably have to come back out so I can get the insulation in later.
    [​IMG]

Figured it'd be a good opportunity to wash the brackets and stuff on the seats while they were out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In retrospect, I'm going to need to find a way to hold this down with some velcro or something, because slicing it with a razor blade wasn't the best idea I've ever had. You can see that the carpet is sliding out and getting in the way of my foot, so I'm def going to need to figure something out.
    [​IMG]

Had some trouble with the center console. Before I wash it, it looks like this.
    [​IMG]

Then I scrub it and put interior shiny cleaner stuff on it and it still looks like this.
    [​IMG]

So I left it out of the car for now, thinking I'm just going to repaint it.

Remember how I took that piece out to sand and paint for the center of the dash and how it was disgustingly dirty?
    [​IMG]

Well since I still haven't sanded and painted that piece I took this opportunity to clean that as well.
    [​IMG]

The armrest area in the back was pretty dirty. Figured I'd get that clean before I get the seats back in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I moved on to the shifter. The top cover on it was broken.
    [​IMG]

So two little dabs of super glue...
    [​IMG]

And while the super glue dries, I decided to clean out the trunk. Remember all the trash that was in it in the first post? I just knew it was gonna be nasty under the carpet as well. But surprisingly it wasn't THAT bad. Just covered in dirt.
    [​IMG]

So I sprayed it down with cleaner, took a brush to it, hosed it out and drained it. And it was just fine.
    [​IMG]

Put the rear seats back in.
    [​IMG]

Went ahead and cleaned off the door sill plates. I'll probably give them to my wife as her have a lot more scuffs on them.
    [​IMG]

Now let's see if the super glue on the shifter cover held:

Yep!

I did not think about one thing though, no cup holders for my coffee on the way to work this morning though.
    [​IMG]

3. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

I did also just get my tires fixed. One of my buddies gave me 4 tires. I only had 2 of them put on since I had to pay for each tire to get put on. The have a smaller wall, 55 instead of 65. So I put the two 55's in the front and left the 65's in the back.

[​IMG]

4. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Thanks to lazlong, I went ahead and got a heat gun from my detail department and it came out pretty good.

You'll recall that this is what it looked like before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we got to work with a heat gun.

[​IMG]

Heat gun on plastic - YouTube

You can see where we've done and haven't done.
    [​IMG]

All done with the heat gun.
    [​IMG]

Then I shined it up and compared to the original pic...

[​IMG]

Before & After
    [​IMG]

5. MirageII

MirageII Member

Very nice. But doesn't using a heat gun like that draw out the natural oils in the plastic? Eventually making it more brittle and losing it's gloss all together?

6. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

It's a possibility. I really don't know. Lot of guys who restore old cars told be about this.

I don't intend to let the sun eat away at it again. Windows will be tinted and a sun shield put up.

7. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Got a little bit of work done yesterday. Now I'd just like to say that I am absolutely TERRIBLE at spray painting anything. This time was no exception, but it came out acceptable. If you're wondering why I was painting, you may remember this stuff on the dash face plate.
    [​IMG]

Me sanding down the face plate for the dash.
    [​IMG]

All taped up and ready to paint.

[​IMG]

First coat of paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to be honest you really shouldn't work on a car without alcohol.
    [​IMG]

While the first coat of paint is drying up a bit, I figured I'd replace the antenna on my car. Not sure why it's so bent.
    [​IMG]

Fortunately my wife put a shorty antenna on her car a few months ago and we still have her antenna.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better.
    [​IMG]

Again, I'm terrible at painting so I know it didn't come out great, but it's better than it was.
    [​IMG]

Time to finish getting it all back together now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since that super glue holding the shifter cover broke in this cold weather, I decided to use something that wouldn't break. Got some JB Weld on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I sanded back down the silver trim that I ruined trying to get the shifter cover out.
    [​IMG]

Came out ok.
    [​IMG]

Car is pretty much back together for now.
    [​IMG]

8. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

So yesterday morning the wife calls me, she forgot her keys for work. I run to the car and jump in. It's been raining all night and all morning. As soon as I start to move the car, water doesn't drip, it POURS from behind the glove box. Within seconds my floorboard looks like somebody dumped about 3 gallons of water in it.

[​IMG]

It's still raining and I'm at home so there is nothing I can do about it. So I had no choice but to leave it yesterday. This morning I get in the car, and since it has been raining all day Sunday, I knew it was going to pour out from the same place again.

And it did! This time I video'd it for you guys.

So I am working under the assumption that the plug back by the cabin filter area is clogged up, basing this off it being a somewhat known issue with these coupled with the extreme nastiness of the car that I've already encountered.

So I find that plug and pop it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MirageII

MirageII Member

Ahhh, bad news dude. I just cleaned mine the other day. Just to make sure. They were clear. The ones I worry about are in the rear quarter panels, (I have a convertible. ). Tried to see the drains but couldn't find them. Will have to check again this weekend.

10. WaylandC

WaylandC Member

I love what you're doing man. I'd be wanting to scrub every bit of rust I see and hit it with some new finish. It's amazing how some people treat cars.

11. ALRUI

ALRUI Member

Whats with these plugs and clogging? Is there more info. on this somewhere? I did a quick site search here and it only showed this thread.

Thanks!

12. MirageII

MirageII Member

There are drain plugs, or holes, that allow water to drain out of the cowl, and out of the convertible top well if you have a convertible. (Which I do).

If you search you'll find many people have neglected to clean the cowl drains, water enters the cabin through the ventilation system (one of the drains is directly below the cabin air filter), and floods the inside of the car usually damaging the SJB on the pasenger side (behind the kick panel).

Us convertible types have 4 more from what I understand. 2 are on either side just behind the door jam, (but I couldn't see it last time I looked), and 2 more in the well the top folds into on either side of the trunk. These are connected to tubes that drain somewhere behind the rear wheels, but as yet I have not been able to confirm this. Mainly due to lack of time.

13. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

I made a video about it to help somebody on another forum. Here you go.

14. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Thank you very much! Just realized this thread is way behind on this forum so let me post some updates!

After that water fiasco coming into the car I had to get it cleaned up. That happened right before thanksgiving, and my family was wanting me to drive the car down for Thanksgiving so they could see it.

I knew I was going to have my work cut out for me. If this much water was above the carpet, imagine how much was below it.

[​IMG]

But I got to work on it, fortunately I caught it early enough that it hadn't flowed over into the driver side at all.

[​IMG]

Shampoo'd the carpet and used the steamer vac again to clean it out. Then left it in the shop for a few nights with fans on it to dry it all out.
    [​IMG]

The good news, was that I got it all put back together Wednesday morning for my trip to Jacksonville for Thanksgiving. I was so happy.

So I got my buddy and we cruised down to Jacksonville. First time really driving this car for more than 8 minutes. Sure hope nothing bad happens.
    [​IMG]

15. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Except that of course it did. About the time I pulled into my mom's neighborhood I noticed steam from under the hood. It was late so I knew I'd have to check it in the light Thanksgiving morning. When I did, I found it was the headgasket. So I called my wife, and told her I'd be riding back to savannah with her when she finally arrived at my parents.

Car sat in my parents driveway 2 and a half hours away from Thanksgiving until Christmas. Finally after christmas I rented a trailer, and my step dad brought the car to me.

[​IMG]

So I took it to my buddy's shop, where we worked on it together in the beginning.
    [​IMG]

That's A LOT of antifreeze in there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next day I had to get back to work so I left my buddy to it (besides he is a real mechanic so much better and faster than me at this, I could tell he was getting a little frustrated at how slow I was compared to him).

I get a text from him:
    [​IMG]

Well that's not good, because that means the motor has to come out of the car.

[​IMG]

Gross
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

So after all the parts came in and I basically had a top end rebuild
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost back together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

So I get the call, it's ready. Super excited I leave work early and go to pick it up. Of course by the time I get to the shop it's dark, so I popped the hood, turned the car on, and let it run for about 10 minutes. Pulled out my flashlight and couldn't see any leaks of any kind.

Good. I get in the car, my wife following me, I drive home. About halfway home smoke is coming from under the hood. Great. I pulled over and checked it out, and wouldn't you know.... coolant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next morning one of the girls from the shop comes out, we check out the car in the parking lot and determine it's the thermostat. Go figure. So I told her I was too busy, she took my key and had it fixed in a few hours, and delivered the car right to my house for me!

Good news!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/b]Bad news[/b]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what the CEL is. Haven't checked it yet. I do know that it seems to be driving perfectly fine, so that's good news. This is how it sits now as of Feb 6. Going to try and check the code this Sunday, and hopefully get the engine bay cleaned out.

18. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

New issue arose, it rained pretty heavy yesterday, when I got into the car last night I looked over and noticed this. Bad news is, that's water leaking from the place the ECU is located.

[​IMG]

19. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Yep. That sounds about right, things were going way too smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well **** sticks!

[​IMG]

20. Austin Klinedinst

Austin Klinedinst Member

Got some more stuff accomplished. Went down to Jacksonville and found some Mustangs in a junk yard. Got some good parts for cheap!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I checked all 3 mustangs, and they all 3 had a broken shift indicator just like mine.

[​IMG]

I got an alternator cover, the door lock grommet, an AC vent, and that black cover that goes over the lock and wires for the trunk.
    [​IMG]

Also, my grommets came in.

[​IMG]

Got my 3rd brake light fixed. And thank you zip ties.

[​IMG]

Cleaned off the underside of the trunk. See all the wires and stuff hanging...
    [​IMG]

Gotta clean up this piece.
    [​IMG]

Got the boom mat spray in it.
    [​IMG]

Sprayed the boom mat sound deadener and also got the plastic cover fitted in.

[​IMG]

before and after pic

[​IMG]

Pulled this piece out so I could spray the bottom of the trunk too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it cleaned up so I can start spraying it with the boom mat spray. Unfortunately I ran out.
    [​IMG]

Got my lock grommet fixed.
    [​IMG]

Time to fix the ac vent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the ac vent I pulled was from the left hand side, and it does not fit the right hand side.

Took the wife's blow dryer to heat up and soften all the clips, and it turns out if you slide the exterior silver sleeve off, the inside black cylinder is the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after getting the sleeves swapped...

[​IMG]

Got my ac vent fixed.

All in all a somewhat productive day. Fixed the ac vent, got the cover for the trunk release and wires cleaned up and put on, got most of the trunk sprayed down with the boom mat spray, got my lights fixed, and the door lock grommet.