My Alltel Experience

SFrymyah

Hi, I'm Steven
When I was in highschool i had one of the old school grey Nokia bricks that didnt even have a color screen. I had it a few months and it got stolen.

I filed an insurance claim with alltel and they replaced the phone for $25 with a Keyocera. The phone was great until it starteded turning itself on and off, sending text messages and calling people on its own. This caused my bill to go up $60 one month.

So i got rid of the Keyocera and got my first Razr not long after they came out. It was great, but i had it four days and the inside screen went out. I shook it off as something i did, so it didnt bother me too bad. I paid $50 in insurance and had it replaced about 60 days after i got it.

So the second Razr i had worked great for about 6 months until the outside screen went out on it, soon followed by the inside screen, much like house the first one died. I called Alltel customer service and they deemed it a "Software Malfunction" and sent me a new Razr under warranty, free of charge.

I get my Third Razr 2 months later, exact same thing. This phone was also replaced under warranty as a software malfunction

I soon received my Fourth Razr about 3 months later - you guessed it. Same. ****ing. Thing.

At this point, i'm a little pissed off, so i head to the local office here in Mooresville, NC and they tell me that its out of warranty and that i have to pay $100 for insurance to replace it in store. By now i'm wondering why my insurance keeps going up. I walk out of the store with my same broken phone and head to the office in Rocky Mount, NC where i usually do most of my business.

I walk in the store and sit down with the manager and tell him the above story. He understands my frustration and tells me that if i pay $65 for insurance, he'll replace the razr and allow me to exchange it for any phone in the store of equal or lesser value. I see this as reasonable, so I give up my $65 and take home a Samsung Wafer.

After owning this phone a week, i find that it has a severe echo on the other line that makes the conversation completely inaudible after talking for the first 30 seconds. I have friends with the same issues. Knowing that Alltel has a 15 day policy that allows you 15 days to swap any equipment you're not happy with, i return to the Mooresville, NC store and try to take advantage of it. I have owned the phone 10 days. After waiting 45 minutes, i'm finally helped. The sales person that is dealing with my case calls their manager to verify this policy and tells me that they cannot honor it since i did not purchase the device in their store. This was a complete lie to my face.

So once again, i return to the Rocky Mount, NC store, 2 days outside of my 15 day window and explain to management what went on at the mooresville store. They apologize for the inconvenience and once again tell me to find any phone in store of equal or lesser value and honor the policy even though i'm out of date. At this point, i end up with a Motorola E815.

This phone is fantastic, other than when you send text messages, it tells you the message has not been sent, even though it has. Also, it stores these messages as unsent, and when you turn the power on and off, it sends EVERY unsent message once you power it back on. This wouldn't be a big deal if i didnt send 2000 texts a month.

So again, i call customer service. They again say its a software defect and send me a new one in the mail.

Motorola E815 #2 has the same problem, so it gets sent back

Motorola E815 #3
still has similar problems, but not nearly as bad as the other two. I have this phone for about 6 months until i'm at a car meet taking pictures and it comes out of my pocket and turns itself into 2 (still working!) pieces.

AGAIN, i go to alltel in mooresville, since i'm pretty well out of choices. I tell them what happened, and that i must have a replacement soon since i'm leaving the next weekend to go to Florida. The salesman tells me that i'm 14 days away from being able to upgrade. Too bad i'd be in Daytona in 10.

So he works a deal and sells me a Motorola Q at sale price and also fits me with a new, improved contract, which ultimately, was the only reason i walked out with anything. This phone ****ing rocks. All of the internet i can stomach, my email, and everything else i'd ever need. 5 days into owning it, i have it in my pocket, helping my dad move stuff around the house and i hear music playing. its the same music it plays when it turns back on. the second time i heard it, i pulled it out and sure enough, it had shut itself down. after the 4th time in an hour, i'm irate, so i get in the car and again use the 15 day return policy. I return my rate plan to its original state and walk out with a brand new Motorola Krzr. This is the girliest, gayest phone i've ever had in my life, but i needed something to take to florida. It works well, so i stuck with it.

Monday, i was taking parts off of the integra to sell and i realize i dont have my phone with me. I walk in my house to see it sitting on the counter top. The outside screen is lit, but nothing showing. I open it up, no menus, nothing, just wallpaper. It just restarted itself and killed the outside screen with it. It also no longer works correct in silent or vibrate modes, but i noticed that days before. And it no longer holds a charge.

So, Saturday, i'm going back to the alltel office. Right now, i'm just telling myself its my luck with Motorola. I can shrug off the keyocera since they always tend to be trash, and the Samsung, since it was the first generation of that unit. I'm hoping to walk out with some LG equipment since everyone i know has had one and all seem to survive everything short of nuclear holocaust. If they can't help me, then i need suggestions from you guys on where i need to take my business.

Cliff notes - alltel sucks *****. along with all TWELVE phones they've sold me

investinwaffles

3.8's Other Indian™
News flash: all cell phone companies suck dick :(
Ive never dealt with verizon though, but cingular makes me want to punch babies.

SFrymyah

Hi, I'm Steven
News flash: all cell phone companies suck dick :(
Ive never dealt with verizon though, but cingular makes me want to punch babies.

i've heard good things about verizon, and the only good things i hear from Cingular/AT&T anymore is from iPhone users

mysteed

is back!
My last Cingular phone was really really small (therefore causing my friends to call it the princess phone) but it survived going swimming with me on three seperate occasions, being droped into some nasty mud when we went offroading, and it fell numerous times onto the pavement from the door bezel of the stang.

My endorsement is for Cingular.

investinwaffles

3.8's Other Indian™
My last Cingular phone was really really small (therefore causing my friends to call it the princess phone) but it survived going swimming with me on three seperate occasions, being droped into some nasty mud when we went offroading, and it fell numerous times onto the pavement from the door bezel of the stang.

My endorsement is for Cingular.

my old nokia 6682 survived a trip to the bottom of my friends pool, 15ft of sea water (pushed off of a boat), and a trip down an entire set of stairs (alllllll the way down). :lol:

Cellphones are tougher than people think ;)

SFrymyah

Hi, I'm Steven
my old nokia 6682 survived a trip to the bottom of my friends pool, 15ft of sea water (pushed off of a boat), and a trip down an entire set of stairs (alllllll the way down). :lol:

its hard to find a nokia worth a crap anymore though. Everyone i know with LG's have survived similar deals. A guy at work today told me his survived 4 minutes of toilet water. Someone else told me they got one to live through saltwater, which is unheard of:thumbup:

mysteed

is back!

Yeah, one of my phones trips was on on a whitewater rafting trip. 2hrs of torture for the phone but I was able to make a call when the trip ended. You just couldn't kill that phone.:lol:

2K1stang

Alltel can kiss my ass. My parents and I are switching to something else shortly. Phones work fine and everytihng, but they ****ed up our bills recently and dealing with the customer service was frustrating to say the least. Right now we're looking at Verizon. The only other choice for our area is Unicel, but they're being bought out by Verizon, so we might as well go Verizon right away.

SFrymyah

Hi, I'm Steven
Alltel can kiss my ass. My parents and I are switching to something else shortly. Phones work fine and everytihng, but they ****ed up our bills recently and dealing with the customer service was frustrating to say the least. Right now we're looking at Verizon. The only other choice for our area is Unicel, but they're being bought out by Verizon, so we might as well go Verizon right away.

my bills have been incorrect a number of times too but they always throw some **** back in your face about how its right. Being able to reach a human is impossible too. Also, did you notice that when you call 611 (their customer service line) it tells you to call the 877 number for additional help - and its the exact same automated process. it even tells you to call the 800 number again.

Adamd

Sweet!
I love US Cellular! They never let me down!

Also with the razors they are known to fail a lot. My bros broke, friends broke etc all with the screen. The same thing...

Also I don't think a different cell phone company will make the phones any better. They may have "different" ones but they are still made by LG, Samsung etc. So if the Samsung sucked at Alltell for you then the same phone on a different provider will do the same.

nikko

Admin Emeritus
Seems like they've been more than gracious with you for the most part. I don't see how it's Alltel's fault that either A) cellphones they don't make suck, or B) you break cellphones.

SFrymyah

Hi, I'm Steven
Seems like they've been more than gracious with you for the most part. I don't see how it's Alltel's fault that either A) cellphones they don't make suck, or B) you break cellphones.

i was fine the first couple times with the affordable insurance deductible, but when it started jumping around from 25 to 50 to 95 to 100 and back down to 65 was when i started getting annoyed. The mooresville store i mentioned was also very rude and unhelpful in every given situation until i agreed to pay them more for a plan and another malfunctioning device on top of that. Their customer service line has also become more and more and more of a headache to deal with as well.

While i'll agree that the Rocky Mount location has been very good to me, i still cannot forgive the fact that they are knowingly selling me and who knows how many other customers faulty devices

JpL4K3

When I was in highschool i had one of the old school grey Nokia bricks that didnt even have a color screen. I had it a few months and it got stolen.

I filed an insurance claim with alltel and they replaced the phone for $25 with a Keyocera. The phone was great until it starteded turning itself on and off, sending text messages and calling people on its own. This caused my bill to go up $60 one month.

So i got rid of the Keyocera and got my first Razr not long after they came out. It was great, but i had it four days and the inside screen went out. I shook it off as something i did, so it didnt bother me too bad. I paid $50 in insurance and had it replaced about 60 days after i got it.

So the second Razr i had worked great for about 6 months until the outside screen went out on it, soon followed by the inside screen, much like house the first one died. I called Alltel customer service and they deemed it a "Software Malfunction" and sent me a new Razr under warranty, free of charge.

I get my Third Razr 2 months later, exact same thing. This phone was also replaced under warranty as a software malfunction

I soon received my Fourth Razr about 3 months later - you guessed it. Same. ****ing. Thing.

At this point, i'm a little pissed off, so i head to the local office here in Mooresville, NC and they tell me that its out of warranty and that i have to pay $100 for insurance to replace it in store. By now i'm wondering why my insurance keeps going up. I walk out of the store with my same broken phone and head to the office in Rocky Mount, NC where i usually do most of my business.

I walk in the store and sit down with the manager and tell him the above story. He understands my frustration and tells me that if i pay $65 for insurance, he'll replace the razr and allow me to exchange it for any phone in the store of equal or lesser value. I see this as reasonable, so I give up my $65 and take home a Samsung Wafer.

After owning this phone a week, i find that it has a severe echo on the other line that makes the conversation completely inaudible after talking for the first 30 seconds. I have friends with the same issues. Knowing that Alltel has a 15 day policy that allows you 15 days to swap any equipment you're not happy with, i return to the Mooresville, NC store and try to take advantage of it. I have owned the phone 10 days. After waiting 45 minutes, i'm finally helped. The sales person that is dealing with my case calls their manager to verify this policy and tells me that they cannot honor it since i did not purchase the device in their store. This was a complete lie to my face.

So once again, i return to the Rocky Mount, NC store, 2 days outside of my 15 day window and explain to management what went on at the mooresville store. They apologize for the inconvenience and once again tell me to find any phone in store of equal or lesser value and honor the policy even though i'm out of date. At this point, i end up with a Motorola E815.

This phone is fantastic, other than when you send text messages, it tells you the message has not been sent, even though it has. Also, it stores these messages as unsent, and when you turn the power on and off, it sends EVERY unsent message once you power it back on. This wouldn't be a big deal if i didnt send 2000 texts a month.

So again, i call customer service. They again say its a software defect and send me a new one in the mail.

Motorola E815 #2 has the same problem, so it gets sent back

Motorola E815 #3
still has similar problems, but not nearly as bad as the other two. I have this phone for about 6 months until i'm at a car meet taking pictures and it comes out of my pocket and turns itself into 2 (still working!) pieces.

AGAIN, i go to alltel in mooresville, since i'm pretty well out of choices. I tell them what happened, and that i must have a replacement soon since i'm leaving the next weekend to go to Florida. The salesman tells me that i'm 14 days away from being able to upgrade. Too bad i'd be in Daytona in 10.

So he works a deal and sells me a Motorola Q at sale price and also fits me with a new, improved contract, which ultimately, was the only reason i walked out with anything. This phone ****ing rocks. All of the internet i can stomach, my email, and everything else i'd ever need. 5 days into owning it, i have it in my pocket, helping my dad move stuff around the house and i hear music playing. its the same music it plays when it turns back on. the second time i heard it, i pulled it out and sure enough, it had shut itself down. after the 4th time in an hour, i'm irate, so i get in the car and again use the 15 day return policy. I return my rate plan to its original state and walk out with a brand new Motorola Krzr. This is the girliest, gayest phone i've ever had in my life, but i needed something to take to florida. It works well, so i stuck with it.

Monday, i was taking parts off of the integra to sell and i realize i dont have my phone with me. I walk in my house to see it sitting on the counter top. The outside screen is lit, but nothing showing. I open it up, no menus, nothing, just wallpaper. It just restarted itself and killed the outside screen with it. It also no longer works correct in silent or vibrate modes, but i noticed that days before. And it no longer holds a charge.

So, Saturday, i'm going back to the alltel office. Right now, i'm just telling myself its my luck with Motorola. I can shrug off the keyocera since they always tend to be trash, and the Samsung, since it was the first generation of that unit. I'm hoping to walk out with some LG equipment since everyone i know has had one and all seem to survive everything short of nuclear holocaust. If they can't help me, then i need suggestions from you guys on where i need to take my business.

Cliff notes - alltel sucks *****. along with all TWELVE phones they've sold me

Alright, since I am a rep for Alltel .. let me give you some advice.

1. First of all, i promise you will never find another phone better then that old grey Nokia phone, nothing is going to get as good as reception, nothing is going to be as durable. plain and simple. the technology has gotten smaller, and the phones have so much useless **** in them now days..

2. Keyocera sucks dick. Stay away.. stay far away....

3. Alltel offers two types of insurance.
$5.00 per month insurance = $50.00 deductible
$7.00 per month insurance = $95.00 deductible

If your phone retails at $300.00 + you pay $7.00 per month because its considered a premium phone.. below $300.00 = $5.00 a month.. non premium phone.. The motorla Razr retail price is $364.99,, You probably paid the 50.00 deductible for the phone because you had the 5.00 insurance feature on your acct, and it wasnt caught by the insurance company, therefore you got away with paying $50.00 for a razr when it should have been $95.00.

Also be aware that if your filing an insurance claim 9 times out of 10 your getting a REFURBISHED phone, but it still does carry a 1 year warranty from defects from the date you filed the claim.

4th. When you were having issues with a phone that you buy BRAND NEW.. (like your razr) it comes with a 1 year warranty, that protects from any defects not caused from physical damage. Just so you know from here on out, that if you have 3 replacement phones under warranty you can request for the rep to file a LEMON POLICY, which means they will give you a BRAND NEW phone.

If you buy a new phone, and it starts messing up within the first 30 days of you purchasing it, they will do whats called a DOA (Dead on Arrival) and will replace the phone for you in the store with a BRAND NEW PHONE, after the 30 day period they do whats called an XBM (Exchange By Mail) and will get the new phone mailed to you. (which is again a refurbished phone)

5th... Samsung Wafer is a piece of ****, the echo issue you experience is an issue that 95% of those phones had. Not sure why they are even still selling them at the retail store, we have been out of them for months here.

6th. Good job on returning the Motorola Q, while it may have seemed like a nice phone to begin with it will be the biggest headache you've ever had. IF you decide to go to a PDA device look into the Blackberry 8130, 8830, and the UTStarcom PPC6800 and the UTStarcom Touch, by far the best and most reliable PDA devices.

Hope some of this helps. A lot of more stuff i could type but my fingers hurt, let me know if theres any more info i can give you....

JpL4K3

If you looking at LG phones, stay away from the AX8600's (blue, green, red, silver, gold) they are going to be phased out shortly, and the last batch of them have had reception issues.

A good solid all around phone is going to be the Samsung R500, rarely ever see that phone coming into the store with problems. If your into the text messaging a lot check out the new LG AX260 (Scoop) has the full out keyboard. the AX260 has only been out for like 2 weeks, and so far so good it seems.

**EDIT**

Also please make sure that the store you are dealing with is infact an Alltel Corporate Retail store and NOT an authorized agent. The authorized agents (Beepers N' Phones, Z-Wireless, LetsTalk, etc) WILL screw you over bad, and make you pay a **** load of money and WILL get away with it. Those places are private owned, and are authorized to sell Alltel phones as well as Verizon, ATT, Tmobile, etc but make their own rules and are looking to shaft you.

2kids3pets

Williteverend
Blackberry Curve...rock solid...even if you don't have a data plan BB is the way to go imo