My Black 99' GT: Project V8 DD

Jesse01V6

Away from V6's for now........
So not really a project, but I do things to it about as much as a project..... Its not a V6! (I'll come back to the V6 world later on down the road)

Some background:

I bought this car after my V6 was totaled. I needed something right away, and my dad located this 99' GT in his area of California. He was only asking $5800 for it, 100K miles, everything in working order, clean paint, clean interior, and a couple mods already. I ended up getting more from the insurance than what I paid for the GT. I sent the money to Cali. and my dad bought it from the guy.

I went to go pick it up and it was indeed a very nice car. I noticed the first time I jumped on it, it didn't exactly have the power I was expecting, but the car was nice and I needed it.

The bad: With a tip off from Ortiz and a little visual inspection, it turned out that someone had put a reman NPI 4.6L engine in it. But, it runs very well and has no issues. I can always change the engine later.

One of the first things I did was ditch those Cobra R's, I personally could not stand them. I also put the Mach 1 grill from my V6 in it. Ended up going with black chrome Saleens. 18x9 front/18x10 rears on Michelin Pilots, 255's in front, 285's in back.

The overall purpose of this car is to get me to work and serve as my everyday vehicle so I can get my fox going. But I've always liked to have a nice everyday vehicle.

Short term goals are to get the outside and inside cleaned up and to my liking, improve the brakes, and probably do a sound system. A not really short term, but not long term goal is to get a proper PI motor in it, of which I already have acquired. That engine will hold me over until I get to my long term goal of going to a 4V. Staying N/A, no boost, but maybe some squeeze.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse01V6

Productive week/weekend on my GT.

I've finally got the brakes together that I wanted to get on it. I scored some blemished 13 in. cross-drilled/slotted rotors direct from Baer for $80. I located a set of Raybestos reman. Cobra calipers/brackets, and picked up a set of ceramic Hawk pads. I learned my lesson with my V6 not to go cheap on pads for these brakes; they tend to be very noisy.

I did a little work on the calipers before painting them. I smoothed them out and got them damn near to a polished finish. If I wanted to go that route, I would have worked them a little more, but I planned on painting them red.

They get really shiny after you hit them with Mother's.....

One thing on this car is it came from back east somewhere, so all the parts have rust on them. Thankfully, the underbody and chassis are not rusted....

Stock brakes......

Baer/Cobra brakes.....

Other side w/ wheel.....

As you can see, they are blemished, hence the cost. But most the zinc wash in the pad surface is gonna come off anyways.....

So, I didn't want to buy matching $200 dollar rotors for the rear or the hawk pads, so I tried to replicate the way the fronts look the best I could....

Stock stuff......

Paint!!!

w/ wheel

My girlfriend helped about as much as she usually does......

She did help with bleeding the brakes, very useful when changing brakes.....

Also got the Mach spoiler on the front.....

More to come I'm sure.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse01V6

Thank you sir.....

Moved the stock wing back today, not sure exactly what it would look like, but I think it turned out really well.....

Stock location......

And moved back.....

Compared to the stock location on my girlfriend's 99'

Jesse01V6

New projects for my GT.......

More details to come......

Jesse01V6

Thanks guys, I'm a little nervous it might be too loud, its also getting a modified bassani X pipe and it won't have cats anymore.

I'll try to get some pictures up later, but I have had a complete PI motor sitting in my garage for a bit now. I tore it down, gonna clean up the short block, new oil pump, water pump, have the heads cleaned up, and I'll be degreeing the stock cams to 112 ICL with the Cloyes timing kit.

I figured since I'll be changing motors, it would be a good time to do some LT headers. I'll post up more details on them; they are a little mini project on their own.

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
What mufflers will you be running. I am a huge fan of Borla as they are nice and quiet for the street but when you stand on it they let the engine singe. Once I had a Borla system I never looked for anything else.

Jesse01V6

The car has flowmasters welded into the stock cat-back, by the previous owner. I'm sort of a flowmaster nut-hugger also, so they'll probably stay on it until I can afford a complete cat-back.

I know I'll pay for it in the noise department, but I don't think it will be louder than my fox was. It had BBK LT's, cat-less X pipe, and a flowmaster cat back, but it also had bigger heads and a some-what aggressive cam.

Jesse01V6

A little more.....

For those that remember, this is the main reason for even messing with this engine....... This number is off the heads from the engine thats in the car.

For those that don't know what that number means, essentially my 99 GT' has a non-PI motor in it.

Here is the PI shortblock. I didn't get any pictures of the motor before I pulled the intake and heads off.

Cleaning it up a little bit.

And after some paint......

The cylinders still have really good cross hatching, and nothing was out of the ordinary during disassembly. I pulled off a couple connecting rod caps to check out the bearings and they looked really good. I would have checked all the bearings but Ford uses torque-to-yield bolts on both the rods and all the mains. I'm trying to not spend too much so I only replaced the four bolts that I removed from the rods.

It helps too that I know the history of the car the motor came from.

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
Nice.

I thought the main difference between the non PI and PI motors was the cylinder head design. Could you have just swapped cylinder heads? I get that the new short block will have less wear on it. Are you going to use the heads as is, or try your hand at some porting and bowl work?

Jesse01V6

Cylinder heads are the main difference, but the intake manifold has larger passages, the cam profiles are more aggresive, and PI motors have dished pistons, NPI's have flat tops.

If you put PI heads on a NPI shortblock, the compression goes up over 10.5:1, not really what I'm looking for.

I'll have some mild porting done on the heads, nothing too crazy.

Phil II

Cone Destroyer
Thank you for elaborating.

Do you want to keep the motor boost or low octane friendly? I'd expect 10.5:1 to be pretty snappy on the throttle. I'm continually amazed to see and hear what the coyotes and toyobarus do with FI and high compression.

Jesse01V6

If this was my toy, I probably would have saved up and done a forged rotating assembly and gone 4V with higher CR.

But I have my 90 LX for all out stuff. I'm trying to keep this GT stockish, hence the stock cams, working the heads just a little, bolt-ons. I want to able to run 87 octane if I absolutely had to, but I do run 91 regularly. Later down the road, I would like to see a Coyote motor in it.

Thats a long ways down the road though.....

Jesse01V6

Nothing crazy to update on the actual engine....

Got the new oil pump and pickup installed.

Did more work on the headers, got all the black paint off them.... At least the dog approves

They're ready to get to the machine shop now.

The shop thats doing my heads is gonna run them through the media blaster, then I'll be coating them myself. Its a part test so if it works, I'll do the same thing to the headers for my fox.

Speaking of heads, here are the old ones before the shop gets em.

Jesse01V6

Well its been a while since I updated this. Its not that I haven't been doing stuff to the car, but more so that adding what I have done to it here takes some down time I'd rather spend being lazy on my couch.

But.... I will update this thread a bit more as I have done several mini-projects since last time I posted, and the engine build is still underway (now a priority).

So this is the most recent thing I have done......

And....

Parts that are not pictured that were added at this time include; new Ford Racing 3.73 gears, Carbon clutches, full bearing/install kit, new upper control arm bushings, new quad shocks, new spring isolators, and some much needed cleaning/painting.

I also added a Walbro 255 pump to help with supporting future engine plans.

But.... Here is the rear end/rear suspension before.....

That was a picture from when I first bought it, but if anything it was worse by the time I did everything this past weekend. The pinion seal was leaking really bad, the T-lok was worn out (one tire fire), and the rear end kicked back through the driveline pretty badly when you punched the accelerator or let off abruptly. Whoever had it before me installed some 3.55 gears, but I think they literally bolted them in and went......

Rear end out......

I wish I would have taken more pics of the gear install, but I was a bit pressed for time. My dad has done gears numerous times before, so he brought his tools over and set it up. We did find out that the carrier was trashed; the bearing races could be spun by hand on the carrier. The pinion gear literally fell out once we took the nut off. All around, the rear end was worn out big time. Luckily I know a few Mustang guys locally and a buddy sold me a complete stock 8.8 rear end from a foxbody for $80!

We pulled the carrier from it, installed it in my 99' housing and continued with the gear install.

I couldn't resist adding the Ford Racing diff cover.... so pretty.... along with some much needed paint and new upper control arm bushings (MM tool works very well).....

Here she is under the car.....

Aluminum DS.....

MM arms w/ new isolators.....

My driveline kickback and jerking issues are completely gone. The rear suspension feels so much more composed now. Just need to finish breaking everything in and then I'll test out the carbon clutches!

Jesse01V6

Thought I would add all my sound system info....

I actually did this a little over a year ago, but obviously I'm a little late updating it. Aside from the stereo stuff, I also added a 01+ center console, and opened the factory single DIN dash to a double DIN. Changing to the newer style dash/radio opening and center console also allowed me to run the 01-04 style foglight switch. Overall it looks better/cleaner.

So, here is the way it was before I did everything.....

The useless pre- 2001 cup holders and center console.....

And the factory radio/CD set-up....

My GT is also a bare bones model; it has no cruise control, no rear defrost, and manual seats. It doesn't have the Mach 460 system, but it does have the base radio/CD w/ an amp under the CD player.

No mirror speakers..........yet......

Doing the center console is pretty straightforward; all that you really need to do is swap your wiring over from the old console to the 01+.....

If you want to make it like factory, u can drill one small hole in the shifter area, and trim a small area. That way you can route the wiring just like it would go factory.

Here it is in the car. I even used the leather boot and e-brake cover from the 01+. Then painted in all with interior paint from Late Model Restoration.

I didn't get a shot of the dash area with the factory radio/CD removed before I did the modifications to open it up to a double DIN.

But.... Here it is after I trimmed the dividing bar out (between the radio and CD player), and trimmed the lower section to allow clearance for the 01+ bezel. You can also see the factory amp sitting on top of the trans tunnel....

I then grabbed some simple brackets (from Home Depot) to make new support mounts for my new radio housing. I also used nylon spacers and lock nuts to get the spacing just right.

Here it is on the bottom....

I used this metal beam to anchor the top part of the radio. I can try to get a pic of the bracket I made later but its all together at the moment.

Here it is with the new housing and bezel together....

My brackets have some adjustment in them to center everything just right. Overall its a trial and error thing. Trim a little here and there and just check the fitment as you go.

Here it is currently with bezel painted, the new radio installed, and the 01+ foglight switch in place.

I read a lot that you have to use a 01-04 shifter boot and trim piece when you go to the double DIN bezel...... Well I didn't, my 99' boot and trim fit it....

On to the rest of the actual system now....

I bought the Mach 460 mirror pods back from the guy I sold my 01 V6 to, popped the covers off and removed the factory Mach 460 tweeters..... Then I made a simple sheet aluminum plate to secure my Alpine component tweeters to....

From the factory, cars with the Mach 460 system have a larger opening in the door panels just below the mirror pods. You can search around for some door panels that match your interior, plus shell out the coin to buy them..... or you can just trim the bottom off the Mach pods.....

Wires route out the bottom with no issues..... And you don't have to trim your door panels or pull your hair out looking for some.

Here they are after some trim paint.... Also sanded off the Mach 460 writing and just painted the little plaques silver....

Along withe the Alpine tweeters are cross overs and component front door speakers as well. Nothing fancy there, just a little trimming in the inside of the door panel and they fit nicely along with some Dynamat.

Out back, I wanting everything to be out of view. My amp and upper deck speakers are mounted up high and are not even seen unless your head is in the trunk looking up at them....

Not so subtle, but simple and possibly temporary until I can come up with something better..... My 2 Kicker subs in a generic box just behind the back seat.....

This was my first custom sound system I've ever done and the first car I've ever had with aftermarket subs in it.... and holy F..... I can't believe I never did this to any of my other cars. I love going fast, but having this system made me appreciate the music I listen to even more. Makes everyday driving so much more enjoyable.

Unless you pull the back seat down or look up under the trunk, it looks like I just have an aftermarket CD player. Thats totally fine with me.

While I'm very happy with this set-up, I do want to change to a head unit that has more equalizer capabilities. Sometimes I can't get the right sound from certain types of music. Sort of a side effect of a really good system is you get picky about everything after a while lol....

Jesse01V6

My full system specs....

Head Unit: Alpine CDE-134HD (HD radio)

Front Speakers: Alpine Type-R SPR-50C; 5.25 Component Speakers with Crossovers and 1 in. Tweeters

Rear Speakers: Alpine Type-R SPR-68; 6x8 Coaxial speakers

Subs: 2 Kicker Comp S 10 in.

Amps: Kicker CX600.1 1200W peak/600W RMS Mono powering subs
Alpine KTP-445A Power Pak 45W 4-channel powering speakers