1. Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My car is using too much gas.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Hossein, Mar 15, 2005.

Social Buttons
  1. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

ok, heres the deal.
    from the day i bought my car, its been using more than average gas.

i have no mods whatsoever...and drive easy...rpm's rarely see 3000.

its a 1999 5speed with 60000miles.

ALL maintenance is up to date. so far i have :
    - cleaned maf
    - new IAC
    - cleaned TB
    - seafoamed (4 months ago)
    - new air filter
    - new plugs (champion) + new wires
    - oil changed, tranny fluid changed, rear diff fluid changed
    - fuel filter changed
    - tire pressure @ 32lbs
    - cleaned injectors (using seafoam - not the more efficient, expensive way)
    - and recently, a new starter is it makes any difference to fuel consumption

from what i know (which is very little)....these are pretty much all the maint. required for the car. I go easy on it almost all the time.

sometimes...on slight uphills when im @ a light..my car wont roll back..while my sisters (5speed civic) does when we were next to each other.

are my breaks touching or something? how can i check? am i missing something with maint. thats killing my gas?

my car feels sluggish too...and when i pop it into 3rd gear and rpms @ 1200, and want to accelerate...the car kind of hesitates until it hits about 1400-1500.

the car has always felt sluggish kinda...but that could just be in my head...but my gas....thats for sure, something is for sure killing my gas.

please help.
    thanks
  2. YZBot

YZBot is made from stars.

You might be lugging the engine. With shifts so low that it feels like hesitation you may be stepping into the gas more than you need to get the car to move in a higher gear. In all honesty try shifting a little bit higher and see if that helps.
  3. UST101

UST101 thats wack dawg!

You never mentioned how much gas you do use. That little bit of information will help trouble shoot. And you shift very early if you are shifting at 1200 rpm.
  4. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

How many miles per gallon are you getting? (miles per tank doesn't mean much because you could refill different amounts)
  5. Vash

Vash 3.8= drama for your momma

i just put freaken 255 tires in the front and 285 tires in the back. the GAS IS OWNING me. especially how its 2 bux a gallon now.
  6. bluetuesday13

bluetuesday13 V ^_^

i feel bad for anyone who has to get premium
  7. tomzac

tomzac 232 or 330

What's your mpg? I do alot of highway driving and I can easily get 400+ miles between fill ups.
  8. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

Sorry, i mentioned everything BUT how much gas it was using.

i get around 400kms per tank...which i think translates to abuot 250-260miles per tank.

i didn't mean i shift @ 1200.....i let the rpm rise to about 2000 rpm...and when i shift into 3rd gear....the rpm will start @ 1200 or so and being to rise again....and as its rising to 2000 again...between 1100-1300 or so...there is hesitation....

however, if i shift higher @ around 2400-2500..i don't have this problem..and also never have this problem when the engine is cold.

sorry for the misunderstanding.
  9. 3WheelerDude

3WheelerDude Goat lover

Thats what I get as mileage too (400kms) on a tank, wich averages to 10liter per 100km (or 1l per 10 kilo,) wich is good dude.
  10. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

You told us the distance but still didn't say how much gas was being used. How many liters or gallons do you put in when you fill up? Also, how much highway and how much around town driving do you do?

Saying an amount per tank is arbitrary because some people let it run bone dry before they fill up, others fill up when it's below 1/3, or below 1/4, or whatever.

If your idea of a fill up is 10 gallons or 40 liters or so and you are doing alot of city driving, then you are doing great. But if you fill up 15 gallons or 60 liters or so every time and you are all highway then it's crummy.
  11. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

from empty....with say 3-4 litres in .. and i fill up to max..about 55 litres....i get about 400km's per tank...all city..but where i live...5th gear is used A LOT of the streets....wide roads, and not many traffic lights. but than there are times where there is traffic.

so you guys are saying its ok? my friend who also has a mustang (2000 v6 auto)...says i get sh!t if im getting around 400..and said he get up to 500 and beats it. is that b.s than?

cuz i really don't think i can do any more maint. work..its all done i think
  12. taylor0987

taylor0987 New Member

that's 17 mpg. before my mods I got 20 mpg with city driving. Try doing what the other guy said about shifting a bit later and see how it does. When did you check your tire pressure? It should be at least 32 when the tires are cold, not after you have driven very much.

Also, gas formulas are adjusted throughout the year and the winter blends may give you lower mileage. This is even more true if your area requires oxygenated gas.

The car may get lower mileage in the winter because it will run rich (i.e. extra gas) as it is warming up.

Do you let your car sit to defrost the windows or to get it warm inside before you drive it? This can use quite a bit of gas. The car doesn't really need that much warm up time for the oil to be flowing freely in the engine.
  13. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

i normally warm it up for about 5 min or so (sometimes a little longer).

the tire pressure was @ 32 when cold.

i guess your right....so my friends full of **** than.

sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for the help/advice.
  14. ZeroDefects

ZeroDefects Doing it my way

BTW
    Lighter cars have a tendancy to roll back more. I believe it has to do with a greater initial friction the heavier cars have to overcome in order to roll more. I am sure your breaks are fine. :)
  15. duncan_mcdougal

duncan_mcdougal v.o.l.v.o abuser

He does have 66000 miles on it so the brakes were probably replaced my now so brake drag could be a problem. You could check the rear breaks and ebrake to see if they are probably adjusted or if the pad is draging or if your piston is sticking.
  16. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

i bought the car with 45000 miles on it and have had it for 1 year and couple months.

when i first buoght it...they changed the front brakes only, because the rear ones he said were ok.

soemtimes tho, when i drive really slow and brake..i hear squeeks...and other others (usuallly when its colder) and i drive slow....and don't brake at all..i can hear squeeks. (from the back it seems)
  17. green232

green232 New Member

i think its because your shifting wayyyy too soon, i usually shift at 2500 to 3000 rpms, depending on if im cruising or whatnot. like what was siad earlier, when you shift to soon, the car will hesitate because its not supposed to be in that gear yet, kind of likie when you take a corner without downshifting, its not too good on the engine im sure.
  18. Stanky

Stanky 202HP V6

Try putting the stock tires to 35-36 psi cold. Don't warm up for more than 1 min unless it's very cold; you're just wasting gas.
    You also need to give details on your daily driving distance, average distance between each block, and whatever else that could affect mpg.
    I get about 10mpg in city and 27-30mpg highway. BIG difference.
  19. Hossein

Hossein HossMan

i drive about 10 miles shut off, drive back 10 miles...shut off.

i am no only warming up my car for 1-2 mins, and tire pressure is now set to 34psi

i filled up the tank before doing all this...so i will know in a few days if its better.
  20. mkmatt

mkmatt Well-Known Member

My '01 Vert only has 29,000 miles on it with an auto tranny, but I'm getting BAD mileage...bout 14-16 MPG if i drive nice...I do go a little hard on the pedal but I don't think I should be getting mileage in the V8 arena. If I wanted that I'd have gotten a 5.0 :cool: If anybody's found a way to solve this, lemme in on it.