Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My first engine swap.

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Jonathan Webster, Jul 20, 2017.

Did I get a good deal?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. Fair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jonathan Webster

Jonathan Webster New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I just got a 2001 Mustang convertible for 350$ that has a bad engine(Hard knocking), clean undercarriage with 180k. I was trying to figure out what would be the most cost effective way of getting it up and running. I will be doing a straight swap with a free motor I got that has a bad head gasket based on the answers I got from here: V6 Swap question
    Feel free to chime in there if you think of a better solution.

Issue: Engine has a really bad knocking (Sounds like it will explode at any moment)

Solution: Get a free motor with a bad head gasket and fix it. Once fixed, swap it with the engine in the current Mustang.

I will be documenting my progress here. I included a picture of the car in this post for reference.

Attached Files:

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

When you get the blown head gasket pulled, be sure to do a real good cleanup of the surfaces and have it checked at a machine shop for leaking valves. Then, purchase a multi-layered steel head gasket for the specific side of the motor with the blown gasket. When reinstalling, get a can of copper spray and spray both sides of the gasket. Wait till takcy, then respray a second time with a thin coat and install the gasket when the second light coat is still tacky. The procedure will help produce a better seal of the head to the block. Be sure to get new head bolts.

Jonathan Webster likes this.
  3. Jonathan Webster

Is checking for leaking valves something I could do on my own given the right procedure/equipment? Just wondering since I'm trying to keep this on the low budget. I am willing to dive in full bore to save some dollars. More time than money as it were. . .

4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

You can check for leaking valves yourself, but since it needs to go to the machine shop anyway to be resurfaced (very likely heads are warped if it was overheated), you might as well have them check the valves too. The machine shop I use doesn't charge me extra to check. Not sure if all are that way.

5. Jonathan Webster

Since I have a donor engine if the head is warped could I not just used the head off the knocking engine? As long as everything is still within factory tolerances, would it not be ok to use?

6. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

It is almost impossible to see a warped head with the naked eye. Sometimes, the differences are less than .005" at one location on the head or another. However, the copper spray will help with the seal of the gasket to the head and block. A machine shop may be able to check it with a straight edge, possibly free or maybe $10. Just ask first how much and get a description of the procedure to make it level. IF you need to have the head shaved slightly to remove warp, make sure the machine leaves a perfectly smooth surface. Tell the guy you will be using a multi-layered steel gasket which will not give at all or fit into re-surfaced groves.

7. Serpent

Serpent Member

be sure to get new head bolts, be sure to torque them in the proper sequence and be sure to use a good quality torque wrench. same with the intake manifold.... torque in sequence with the good torque wrench.

8. Jonathan Webster

Thanks, guys! I will keep you guys updated once I get the donor motor.