Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Turn @ Pulling the Trigger on a Twin Turbo

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 6 Shooter, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

6 shooter what kind of numbers are u running with the TTs?

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

On the 93 octane tune and 18 degrees of timing at WOT, 10 psi gets 400 whp, 15 psi gets 500 whp, and 21 psi gets 611 whp, all three controlled by the eboost controller and the push of a button. Will say that on the street, 400 whp is a wow. Not yet tried 611 on the street. Need a sticky track for that kind of whp.

3. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Very nice. I havent decided if i want to do turbo or supercharger but either way ill be looking for atleast 500 rwhp

4. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Hey Phil, do you have a log showing your boost curve controlled by the eboost2? Dialing in this scg-1 and boost is all over the place.

5. 6 Shooter

[​IMG]
    As for a log, send a pm with email address. Think I have a few. But, the logs are digital, not in graph form. Plus, the eboost controller does not data log the boost numbers (wish it did). The top red and blue lines of the lower graph show boost. May need a magnifying glass.

6. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Impressive. That controller holds target boost impeccably.

7. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

That is impressive! Mine looks like **** lol. The 3 black spikes (rpm) are where the pull took place. Red line is map/boost and pink is af. It may be the software because my fuel pressure is steady 1:1 and it's smooth.

Attached Files:

8. 6 Shooter

The bottom two lines of the bottom graph are te A/F ratios. You gotta first control the fuel pressures to stabilize the rest of the motor's operations. Did most of mine in the driveway and on the street from idle to 3/4 throttle. The last top 1/4 throttle was on the dyno.

9. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Phil do u like the TT build better than the supercharger build u did?

10. 6 Shooter

Absolutely. However, there are pluses and minuses for both. Supercharger is driven by the belt and may cost up to 100 whp when trying to go north of 300 whp. There is extra demand on the crankshaft when accelerating and shifting. Mounting to the engine block is much better to compensate for the gyroscopic forces of the spinning blower. With the turbo, room is limited which forces the turbo to head toward a or both headlights for space. The extra lengths of headers going forward, plus the turbo hot section, plus the down pipes (maybe 6 feet extra of hot pipes under the hood) create heat issues that must be dealt with. A second problem with turbos (mainly twins) is supporting them with steel brackets attached to the motor. My setup instead of support brackets used 10 gauge thick stainless steel headers which do not require any support brackets. The disadvantage of this thick steel is heat release. To compensate, I used a White Lightening ceramic coating to contain most of the heat while driving. But, after shutdown, that heat will dissipate and rise. Am lucky enough to pop the hood after driving and open up the access to the attic directly above the car to somewhat vent the heat up into the attic. There is no whp penalty with a turbo, thus it may gain around 100 whp and less burden on the crank. Gas mileage improves as well without the drain of the belt to twist the blower. And, a well matched turbo with a great tune will not have the lag when stomping on the gas pedal as some have experienced. Plus, a turbo develops full boost at around 3200 rpms and a supercharger not so until maybe 6000 rpms. One disadvantage is trying to find someone to build the hot section for the turbo. TMA Andy built mine 3+ years back but not sure he will do that anymore as it was his part time hobby. And, think he only built 4-5 twin turbo setups using the 10 gauge stainless steel headers. His welding and cleanup of the interior of the header pipes was NASA quality in my opinion. Angles and distances must be extremely precise for a perfect fit and aesthetically balanced from one side to the other on a twin setup. There may be others around, but the best builds are not in the car, but mock ups with a front end of a V-6 Mustang of the vintage of your car. A single turbo setup is much more practical, less expensive, and could produce almost as good of performance as my setup. Plus, steel mounting brackets for the turbo, though custom fit, are much easier to make.

11. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Yea i noticed turbo builds are custom. The only kit i could find is the procharger kit. I'll look into finding someone to build the turbo setup when the time comes otherwise I might go with the supercharger.

12. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

ebay sells a twin kit for these cars.

13. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Thanks for the info. When i did a google search nothing showed up.

14. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

15. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

16. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

17. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

18. 6 Shooter

Be careful. That kit is for a V-8, not a 6'er. IMHO, do not waste time, expense, or effort on piping colors. They just make for pretty pictures, but not functional as all the pipes must be individually welded which will fry the colors. Second, all pipes should be ceramic coated after all fitments to contain heat as much as possible. Third, most of the pipes will not be visible anyway; only the top half of the intake pipe, plus a portion of the header pipes. The rest of the pipe sections are installed down-under.

Most important. Turbo kits may be fine to start out with. NONE will be a direct fit. All pipe pieces must be individually cut and welded for a perfect fit. Space inside the engine bay is very tight. And, NONE of the kits I noticed from the ebay link show to have wastegate piping and flanges which must be added to the header section.

Study in great detail the below photo which is just the hot side of a twin turbo kit. Notice all the welds, bends, wastegate relief tubes and flanges, plus the bungs for the O2 sensors. Also notice the two expansion/flex sections to allow for some movement. Sorry, do not have better photos of just the header tube pieces. The two smaller tubes are down pipe dumps for the wastegates, which I got rid of almost at the get-go due to extreme loud exhaust noise when the wastegates opened to release excess exhaust gasses during WOT. Do have websites where individual parts can be ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Yea didnt pay too much attention to what i posted. Was in a hurry and guess i overlooked it.

20. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Does 94-97 Mustangs have the same motors as the 98-2004?