Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Turn @ Pulling the Trigger on a Twin Turbo

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 6 Shooter, Aug 17, 2013.

1. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

3.8L motor, yes, but the external balancing went away starting in 1001. Further, the 94-97 motors were single port heads and intakes. The 99-04's were split port heads and intakes.

2. Joshuaw22

Joshuaw22 New Member

Thanks for the information. Was just wanting to make sure the turbo kits were interchangable between 94-2004.

3. 6 Shooter

Not absolutely sure, but think the exhaust ports on the split port and single ports are the same. Does not matter anyway, as the best way to start a turbo project is to get 6 3.8L flanges from Mac headers. Then, start look hear for parts. McMaster-Carr also see
    Pipes schedule 40 chart, dimensions, weight and pipe wall thickness

Mild steel will get hot enough to sag/crack with the weight of a turbo hanging off the end of a header.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

The one jt posted looks sketchy already with the lack of detailed pictures but since its from texas they will prolli get it all together once the order is recieved..

Those other kits are just waay to good to be true...
    Which is why i understood you josh when you said i wish someone bought it and posted pictures lol

I saw those when i was in your position doing research as you are ive ben conned before on the internet lost alot of hard earned money..

Just listen to what 6shooter teaches you... lol u cant go wrong trust me..
    I donno if you watch mighty carmods but he is the freakin turbo guru .i think.we are all very lucky that we hav such a pure and passionate resource that is so patient and understanding and of all things willing to help by sharing his knowledge and experience without attachments or expectancies...

Joshuaw22 likes this.
  5. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Wait, who on here is from MCM?

6. 6 Shooter

Been driving the car a bit lately. Yesterday it was 92 degrees and was driving around to run errands. Recall that early in the buildup to the twin turbos, I pulled the stock radiator and installed a Northern 2-core radiator which was a drop in fit for an automatic transmission. For a stick shift, just plug the two transmission cooler holes. Was not using the A/C and still use the stock V-6 radiator fan and shroud. Anyway, the coolant temps barely hit 180 degrees after 30 minutes of driving. Could not be happier with that setup.

On another issue, have been recently and intermittently having an issue with a warmed up restart. Turned on the key and all electronics were working along with gaining fuel pressure. Battery great. However, the starter was totally dead and would not engage or even click, click, click. Turned the key off and on several times, even pulled the key out of the ignition switch. Waited a minute or so, turned the key on, and the starter turned over and the motor fired right up. This has happened 3-4 times in the last 6 months. Believe that the starter relay in the engine bay, now 17 years old, needed replacement. $17 at Autozone. Hope that turns out to be the (cheap) fix. As the issue was intermittent, will not know for maybe several months and a number of warm starts to find out if the issue is now resolved.

7. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

Had Similar Problem With Heat Soaked Starter After Header Install And Fla. Temps. Replaced Starter With Hi Torque Starter
    And Heat Reflecting Blanket Around Starter, No Problem Since. Heat Blanket Made Big Difference, Old Starter Failed To Start In Traffic
    One Day And Was Almost Rear Ended By Truck! Really Felt Like A Dork!!!

8. Captain Max Silver

Quick Question: Northern 2-core radiator Direct Fit 3.8 Or 4.6 With 4.6 Hoses And Expansion Tank?

9. 6 Shooter

10. Captain Max Silver

Oh Ok! Didn't Think Of Splicing It Into Upper Hose. Wish I New That Last Fall When I Replaced Rad. Wanted Multi- Core. Oh-well Next Time. Thanks For That Thought.

11. 6 Shooter

Had a chance to do a little maintenance on the car over the weekend. Dallas temps dropped into the low 90s with a cool front passing through, plus a light breeze. Was able to change the oil, filter, and switch out the coolant which was a new learning issue for me. Apparently, newer cars with all aluminum radiators (currently installed) and old style antifreeze have issues with corrosion over time. The latest orange/pinkish antifreeze is less corrosive than the old green ethylene glycol which has been around for many years.

12. Captain Max Silver

Good To Know! Coming Into That Time Of Year Even In Florida!

13. 6 Shooter

A small upgrade. Last week, purchased an SCT X4 data logger/tune transferer. Captain Max suggested calling a company which sold him a used one. In the discussion, found out that the company would take a trade-in of my SCT X3 which is UNLOCKED and can be connected to 5 more cars. I purchased the X3 new. Same with the X4. The reason for switching is that I have yet to finish data logging the table called Load With Failed MAF which parts of the tune uses all the time like the Tip-In area. However, LWFM table is primarily used when the main MAF either messes up or goes Kaput. The main advantage that I was looking for is that the X4 could data log more than 15 columns of streaming data. Not sure of the maximum mount, but the new box could probably do at least 20 columns of data streaming.

Kinda messed up over the weekend when plugging in the new box and up loading the associated software. Got some really strange messages and the setup refused to completely upload. There are two basic programs that run the X4, one is the software for the box, and the other is LiveLink which allows for data logging when plugging the X4 into the OBD port and a laptop. To make a long story short, I uploaded the new version of the Livelink on top of the old Livelink that ran the X3. Kapow. Called SCTs tech support on Monday, killed the old Livelink, killed the new X4 software (apparently, they compete and will mess up), then reloaded the X4 software from scratch, then the new verison of the Livelink from scratch. Shazam!!. All looks good at this point, but have not plugged into the car as yet.

Another point, the killing and reloading of the necessary software to make the X4 work did not have any effect on the Advantage software which allows for tune changes. A second another point is that the X3 data logger will work without having to purchase the Advantage software. It requires a config.sys file to which there is a screen and directions to guide in creating this file which allows you to select which data columns are wanted out of a list of about 300.

Now have an unwanted SCT X3. Am willing to sell it for $175 plus shipping. If no one is interested, will sent it back to the company for a credit. If interested, send a conversation with email address.

14. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

My x3 and livewire both can log up to 24 pids. Weird that you could not get yours to log more than 15.

Attached Files:

15. 6 Shooter

It may be that the later versions of LiveLink which I now have installed would accept more columns of data. Will say that the tech guy indicated that the latest version of LiveLink will look backwards and also work with the older X3.

16. Captain Max Silver

Glad To Help!! Like The 1 I Bought Works Well, Even If I Push The Wrong Buttons!! LOL

17. 6 Shooter

X3 returned for credit.

18. Captain Max Silver

Glad You Something For It In Trade. It All Helps!

19. 6 Shooter

Struggling with volts vs Fahrenheit on the EGT gauge. Never simple. Currently have an EGT probe that came from RPM Proformance. It was plugged into an LMA box that was giving me data logged EGT numbers. Removed the box and rewired the signal imput into the X4 data logger. However, this unit, when connected to the SCT Livelink data logging software only produced volts, not Fahrenheit degrees which my brain can easily handle. So, for the last few days, been working with SCT tech for them to map the K type thermocouple to generate a map that would translate volts into degrees F. No bueno. Several calls back and forth and they may have given up by now.

Moving right along, SCT does sell an EGT kit with the thermocouple and Analog wire which can be connected with the SCT Firewire which is plugged into the X4. SCT also provides a formula which supposedly converts volts to degrees F. So, at this point, have purchased the SCT EGT kit and should install over the weekend. At this point, will likely force SCT to support their EGT kit and formula to spit out degrees instead of volts. The crazy part of all of this is that the X4 will produce degrees, but the Livelink software (with the same setups) will not.

And the beat goes on.

20. Captain Max Silver

Ain't Technology Grand!!! Remember The OL'e Day's. Dwell Meter, Timing Light And A Screw Driver To Set The Carb. LOL