Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Turn @ Pulling the Trigger on a Twin Turbo

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by 6 Shooter, Aug 17, 2013.

1. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I've run into that issue with wideband before where it read on the device but not on livelink. The whole firewire stuff is junk. The pins stretch and I've went through server cables over this.

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Never a dull moment. The SCT EGT showed up today and had time to look over the parts. Not too bad. However, this kit was designed to directly plug into the X4, plug-and-play and used one of the two Analog outputs in the Livewire software. Unfortunately, my setup must use both analog inputs in the Livewire software. Further, to create data logs, must use an SCT X3 or X4 data logger to which an SCT Firewire directly plugs in. To use both Livewire analog inputs, one has to use the exposed wire ends opposite the plug in on the Firewire. The Firewire does come with a wiring diagram for the 6 wires and each has a different color. Now, back to the SCT EGT which has the same plug in connector that will plug into the X4. Now, that plug in connector has to go and the wire harness to the EGT must be cut in half. Easy enough. But now, the fun begins. Most of the wires in the EGT wire harness have the came colors. However, one wire color does not match the same wire colors as the Firewire. Back to SCT Tech support. Took a while, but finally got the tech who seemed to know about their EGT setup and he tried to guide me to the wiring diagram for that unit that did NOT exist. Long story short, we hammered out which EGT wires go with which wires on the Firewire (we think). At the end, he left me with one last thought. The formulas for the SCT and PLX EGTs are identical. Unfortunately, the units in degrees Fahrenheit differ by 50 degrees. OOps. My setup is not critical to EGT info, but it is useful info on a WOT pull down the track. Especially when getting close to cylinder temps where pistons melt!! Will try to get the re-wiring done on a cool morning in a day or two.

3. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

You Graduated MIT When? LOL

4. 6 Shooter

Finally got my graduates degree. EGT up and running in degrees. Also during the process, got my wideband O2 to spit out A/F ratios, the same as the gauge, instead of numbers in Lambda. Easier for me to read and adjust the MAF. The base fuel table is set up in Lambda numbers. And, the wideband can spit out A/F numbers in A/F ratios or Lambda; its just a users preferred choice. I use a conversion table that shows both Lambda and A/F ratios side by side which makes it easy to switch back and forth.

5. Captain Max Silver

Always Easier To Work With Things Your More Comfortable With. Less Chance Of Errors Or Flat Out Mistakes. They Can Be Expensive. Ouch!!

6. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I like to hear track talk from you! If you go please get video! You haven't made the switch to e85 yet have you?

7. 6 Shooter

Not going to switch to E-85. The fuel is not consistent. In the winter, the fuel is no longer E-85 and could be E50 or anything in between. E-85 does not start very well in the winter due to its vapor pressure, so more gasoline is added to help the cars start more easily. Anyway, have methanol/water injection with the flip of a switch, when desired.

The track issue has been a disappointment for me as well. Had a 1/8 mile track about 25 miles from the house. It closed down about 2 years ago and hasn't reopened as yet. 3 other tracks in the Dallas area and all are 50 to 60+ away. A breakdown at one of those tracks would be a real expensive tow. Don't have a trailer.

8. Captain Max Silver

You Are So Right About That E-85 Stuff, Really Stinks If Your In COOLLDD Weather, Lived In Maine Before Florida, My County Didn't Sell Non Ethanol Fuel, My Truck Carbureted 350 Small Block Chevy At Time, Would Not Start On It Even With Tank Heater For Block At 20 To -0 Or What Ever Temp. Had To Take A 60 Watt Light Bulb On Top Of Carb So Alcohol Would Vaporize To Start Then Good For The Day. Lucky The Next County North Of Me Sold Non-Ethanol Fuel. It Was A Pain In Hard Winter Weather. I Really Like Florida, Don't Miss My Shovel!!! LOL

9. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Shoot phil, with all the mods your car has it should be bulletproof! I was in the same boat with my local track and didn't want to risk a break down far from home. I haven't made the switch to e85 yet either since I can get vp 110 so cheap.

10. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Sorry phil for the quik thread jack
    Jt how do u get race gas cheap if u dont mind me asking? Just curious..

11. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I buy from the track at the pump. $8.50 a gallon.

12. Spdricer

Spdricer Active Member

Bawse

13. Captain Max Silver

Pricey!!!

14. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I've seen way to many times people run crap pump fuel and beat the hell out of the rotating assembly. $2.50 fuel isn't going to support 100+hp per hole. Detonation is #1 killer!