Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My twin turbo build

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Sideshow Bob, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Active Member

Hi my name is Adam and this is my pass the time away build. By pass the time I mean it's been four years to get to what you see in the pic. It has twin garrett 57 with .63a/r 60lb injectors stock motor for now. I just started to run the motor with a SCT tuner, and tried driving it down the road. The first time down the road I had my son with me, just incase I needed a push back to the house. In a second gear stomp it spooled up quick and hit 10lb pounds of boost, waste gates went open making me think I blew the motor so I lifted the gas to find out just how loud the BOV on this thing can. After me and my son stopped laughing he said do it again. I told him I think we just used up my one lucky chance with the motor. So before I took it out again I got a second wideband with a failsafe. When I tried it with boost it was right at 13a/f with four pounds of boost so I lifted. My tuner sent me a new tune to try. I ran it in the garage and it looks good but it's raining here so no road test.

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1081.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    Brent and BRN2RUN like this.
  2. Sideshow Bob

IMG_1097.JPG [QUOTE

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  3. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

4. Sideshow Bob

Thanks JT, This has been a fun project. Now it's time to see what it can do on the track. It opens up here Jan. 9 hope to see what kind of HP numbers it will do. If I can get my A/F to stay below 12 all the way through the RPM's I should be good.

5. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Are you using an SCT tune?

6. Sideshow Bob

7. 6 Shooter

Can you data log?

Can you change your tune?

Can you view your tune?

From your explanation above, A/F numbers in the 13s is pretty dangerous in medium to high boost. It all depends upon load, throttle position, and timing.

8. Sideshow Bob

Wow for a moment there I thought I was going to be arrested for tuning without a license. :stare: Someone who sells SCT tuners. As part of the deal he loads a base tune for what I have done to the car.
    After that I datalog a run with livelink @ different RPM and E-mail the run to him to look at. He has it real close right now, as you can see in the failsafe chart. If you look at the chart it did not go past 12A/R @ four lbs. of boost. only after I lifted the gas did it go past. He has sent me a new tune with more fuel and it looks real good in the garage run. This weekend I will try it on the back road to see how it does. When it comes to making headers or putting the turbo on the car I have no problems. However tuning is something new to me. A year ago I had no idea how to datalog, down load tunes, or any of that kind of stuff. Now I'm making firewires to hook to my wideband and all kinds of junk.:) Thanks to my tuner and Toph6888 on MM forums. (oh and the net)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  9. Turbang_6

Turbang_6 3.8 Turbo Build Under Way

Great build! I didn't know that Toph tuned.

10. Sideshow Bob

Toph has helped me with a lot of questions. He's solved some of my problems with the car.

11. 6 Shooter

I taught him on his car via 50+ emails and at least that many data logs. Glad he learned something :) and was able to help you.

12. toph6888

toph6888 Active Member

6Shooter was the man with helping me learn tuning. Between him and the Lasota book, we got it all figured out.

13. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I absolutely hate to tune!!! It's mainly Ford strategy bs tuning really. The key is tune the way that works for you and always remember these cars were programmed as na cars so there is going to be trickery involved getting the pcm to do what you want. I mean there are like 5-6 different spark tables, 8-10 multipliers, and like 20 different things that can effect all these tables lol.

14. 6 Shooter

Amen to that above. I have finally enjoyed tuning. Took a long time to learn where to look and adjust by X amount. Have been into 90% of Ford's factory tune and the other 10% will not be necessary. Part of the secret is to trick the PCM into thinking nothing has changed much. At least a Ford tune can be modified by huge amounts based on scaling the tables and setting higher ranges. With the years of troubles in my car, it has forced me to learn a whole lot more than the average tuner. And, you are correct, the stock Ford tune has a lot of overlapping/redundant tables and when going Forced Induction, too many tables cause too many tuning issues. Thus, have learned over time that some of the less critical tables must be zeroed out to force specific tables to be used. The other important tuning basics is to know what are the reasonable ranges that should be stated in the tables depending upon how a car is setup and modified.

15. BRN2RUN

BRN2RUN Active Member

Nice build! You have a complete sleeper look there too, with the stock tires and rims.....can only imagine how far sideways that puts the car, ha ha.

Sideshow Bob likes this.
  16. Sideshow Bob

I've been picking up a lot more info about tuning. And as I see one more piece of the puzzle, I'm begining to see the bigger picture. My plan for the car is to keep it the stock look. But with the dynomax duels and BOV blow off the sound is out. My next move for the car is the one wheel peel has to go. looking for a 8.8 with, or put some 3.73 gears in. Every time I see one on GL by the time I call it's gone.

17. Sideshow Bob

Wow your not going to believe this. After I made my post I looked on GL and there was a 2004 GT 8.8 rear end. I called the man, and I"m picking it up Saturday. Now I need to find some 3.73 gears.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  18. 6 Shooter

Lucky you with the 8.8. For a while, had 3.73 gears while ProCharged. The car will really move out. Ended up with 3.55s for the twins. At the time, was thinking that the car would be going around 130 mph in the quarter in 3rd gear. Later in time after cracking a crank and going with a billet crank, the billet crank is now good for 5-600 higher RPM redline. Had I known at the time, could have stuck with the 3.73s. Think you will like those gears with your twins.

19. Sideshow Bob

Thanks yea some are saying 3.55 and some say 3.73 To bad they don't make a 3.64 lol. That's what someone like me would get.

20. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

I'd try the 3.27's. Research 3.27's on turbo mustangs, most people prefer a taller gear because it adds load that spools the turbo faster. Do you have 2 or 3 pedals?