Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My twin turbo build

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Sideshow Bob, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Active Member

Thanks Toph I'll give it a try. I'm going to pull the IAC valve to clean also, it has a adjustment on it I was going to mess with. But will do the steps you gave me frist. Thanks

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Agree with Toph mostly, except would suggest that the throttle position absolute at idle should be closer to 180 than 220. So, If you can data log, plug in your data logger turn the key half on to get the data streaming. DO not start the motor. Keep foot off gas pedal for about 3-5 seconds. Then, slowly press the gas pedal to the floor with the data logger still on and hold it hard to the floor for 3-5 seconds. Let off and stop data logger and save file. Review the file and look at the column of throttle position absolute. You should ideally see about 180 at idle and about 936 or so at WOT. It is imperative that the TPS be below 1.0 volts for the PCM to know that the throttle is set to be in an idle position to cause the tune to function with idle tables and percentages.

If not, loosen the TPS sensor screws just enough to allow you to slightly rotate the TRS counter clockwise just a hair and retighten the screws. Repeat the NO start data log again to see if the numbers have lowered. Also check the throttle blade and set screw in the back to see IF the throttle blade is completely closed. The idea is to make the TPS do the work and not trick it with a partially opened throttle blade.

IF the numbers on the data log do not come down to the approximate 180 range, get a rat-tailed file small enough to slightly remove a hint of plastic from the holes of the TPS to where it can be rotated counter clockwise ever so slightly. (like 1/64th of an inch).

Re data log. Anything at 190 or below is pretty good. Also, be sure to turn the throttle blade set screw just enough to where it hits the tab in back at the same time that the blade is closed.

Post back what you find out.

3. Sideshow Bob

Thanks 6 that's what I have now 179 at idle and 954.75 at wot. I was at like 230 at idle so I'm think we did some good. I'm gong to work on the IAC to make sure it's not jacked up. When I adjusted the blade I did it just like you described.

4. 6 Shooter

At idle in the data logs, you should be seeing around .500 IAC duty cycle. 179 is real good on the TP absolute at idle.

5. Sideshow Bob

Well looking at the data it looks like my fuel pressure is all over the place. under load it moves from 39 to 42 and when i lift it gets up to 70psi.

Edit that's across injectors.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. 6 Shooter

stock returnless fuel settings in the tune are terrible after switching to higher flowing fuel pumps. Send me a private message with your email address and will help you solve the issue.

7. Sideshow Bob

Thanks Phil I have your e mail and will send you a data log in excel.

8. Sideshow Bob

On my datalog I'm starting to see a greater difference between a/f on banks. Could this be injectors starting to plug? I see it even more after duel pumps. I'm going to switch sides to see if it changes. will be back later lol

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. Sideshow Bob

Ok no change bank 1 still runs leaner @ 3000rpm .9925x14.64=14.5a/f bank2 is .8772x14.64=12.8af I have a wideband to each side and it's close to that. IDK I think something is wrong with bank 1 new fuel filter was clean it's a 40 micron. Might have to pull injectors.

10. Sideshow Bob

Well I do have some problem with fuel getting to bank 1 will pull the injectors to make sure that's not the problem. Could be fuel rail not having the same pressure on each side. I would like to thank Phil and Andy for helping me with the tune. I will be getting the SCT advantage III pro race software. So we can get the tune right, and for tunes down the road. As I turn the next page in this journey. lol

11. 6 Shooter

Sideshow--If you pull the injectors and are having bank to bank differences of more than 3% between them, there is a possibility that the injectors you have are not all flowing equally and some may be partially blocked with bits of trash in the screens. One way to find out would be to pull them and view the tops of the injectors to look at the screens to locate any visible trash.

The next possibility is that the individual injectors flow differently for some reason. The solution to this issue is to send them in for cleaning and matched bench flowing which is not very expensive. I have used Fuel Injector Man in Florida in the past for around $120 for all 6 injectors. They get each injector to flow the same and give you a report of the before and after results. With the bench flowing accomplished, then if there is still bank to bank issues, the next place to look is the O2 sensors. Fuel Injector Service,Outboards,Marine,Motorcycles,ATV,Yamaha You can call them to get current prices.

BTW, are both your front injectors the same brand? Has either injector ingested an extra dosage of oil or coolant which will either kill it or change the calibration?

12. Sideshow Bob

Thanks 6
    My next day off i'm going to index where I pulled them from and clean by using a 9v batt. to cycle open very quickly and reinstall on opposite sides to see if bank2 goes lean. I'm thinking that messing with the rusty tank and new fuel line and pumps I got something in there. I can only hope.
    On your second Q I'm thinking you are asking about o2 sensors. Both are new and batch run numbers on the box told me one was made in front of other. When I pulled them they still looked new with no oil or dirt. When I changed banks with the o2 there was no change. Datalogs before the pump mod showed bank1 and bank2 right on to each outher.

13. 6 Shooter

Returnless fuel pump files matched to the pumps will go a long way toward controlling fuel pressures.

Sideshow Bob likes this.
  14. Sideshow Bob

Called SCT for their advantage III pro race software was told to get it from summit racing. Going to get one more fuel filter to put at the tank. Maybe get a pulsation damper that might help.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  15. 6 Shooter

16. JTsStang

JTsStang Boosted V6

Do not go through summit racing unless your current tuner will give you a copy of your existing tune in mtf format.

Sideshow Bob likes this.
  17. Sideshow Bob

I'm checking into that, it's time I learn how. Most likely I'll be doing a lot of changes to this car for a long time. So with some help from you guys on hear I should be okay. Just in the past week, with Phil explanation I'm not near as confused.

18. Sideshow Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  19. 6 Shooter

Also run an inline filter, but it is mounted in the stock location and to the stock bracket. Fairly easy to get to as it is mounted in front of the fuel tank which is shown at the top of the photo. The only trick is to get the exact angle elbows needed plus the braided steel hose length has to be pretty accurate as it does not bend too much when too long.
    [​IMG]

20. Sideshow Bob

Thanks Phil what micron is that filter? I have the two 90* fittings. If I find the injectors plug I might be getting a better filter or run two.