Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Advice please help

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by bsdunn1984, Jun 27, 2016.

1. bsdunn1984

bsdunn1984 New Member

I have a 2006 Ford Mustang 4.0 V6 that has been really good to me mechanical and pretty much overall.
    I have noticed that my battery light has been coming on. I have checked my voltage while my car is running its at around 14volts running so the alternator is charging. I have tested that battery its sitting at 12.5 after sitting for 3 days.

I have noticed very poor acceleration almost like its not wanting to shift into a higher gear. I have noticed shaking as well as low idling and the car sounds different not as throaty. Gas mileage has went down a lot.

I had an oil change about 1500-2000 miles ago with full synthetic high mileage oil. So I know it shouldn't need an oil change. The oil still looks clean too.
    I have had the Throttle Body and mass air flow intake cleaned and it definitely needed it.

I am thinking spark plugs and wires might need to be changed.

What else could it be? I'm thinking the low idle is causing my battery light to cone on so whatever is causing that is most likely causing everything I'm describing. I hope.

2. bsdunn1984

bsdunn1984 New Member

3. six gun

six gun Active Member

How many miles? Battery ever been changed?

If plugs and wires have never been changed that would be a good idea to look into regardless. I think NGK makes a good plug in general.

The battery issue I think needs addressed most importantly, could be several things e.g. corrosion at the battery terminals, wires at the alternator coming loose, or possibly a dying alternator. It could contribute to your car not running its best if its not receiving full voltage. If the battery is 5+ years old it may be good to replace it.

Also if you have any aftermarket electronics like radio or amp, look to see if they're wired correctly so they're not always on.

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Most Motorcraft plugs are produced by NGK.

What type of transmission?

5. bsdunn1984

bsdunn1984 New Member

Automatic transmission and it has 130k miles. I checked voltage and have had the alternator and battery load rested and they check out fine. Im thinking it is the fact the car rpms is fluctuating and going to low which is making the alternator not spin fast enough for it to produce. I have purchased NGK irudium plugs and I am waiting for my new plug wires to come in.

6. bsdunn1984

bsdunn1984 New Member

Battery connections look good. As far as the Alternator I was told a pulley could cause it but I checked my belts and the look good and the pulleys are not making noise and appear to be fine.