Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Engine 4.2l Upgrade 2000 Mustang Coupe

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Captain Max Silver, May 28, 2019.

1. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

Well How Do I Start? Been Down For About A Year Workin On My Baby! New 4.2l V6 Ported Polished Heads, P/P Upper And Lower Intake With Phenolic Spacer 24Lbs. 12 Pintel Injectors, 50/50 CompCams Bumpy Stick, Scorpion Roller Rockers, Manley Push Rods .120",CompCams Lifters, Compcam Beehive Valve Springs, New Valve Locks, Arp Head Studs, Arp Crankshaft Studs, Morana Stud Girdle, 6 Qt. Oil Pan, Manley Timing Set. Lot's Of Other Parts Will List Later. Been Busy! I Have Lots Of Pics Of How This Went. Had To Take My Time Money Was Tight But Engine Is In Now And Need To Finish Wiring Up And Bolting Other Things Down, Much Closer To Turning The Key.
    You Guys Know How To Pull A Motor So I'll Skip All That. Bought A New 4.2L Short Block New Old Stock And Went From There.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Profile Violation

The 4.2 is 202 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, 252 pound-feet of torque at 3,400 rpm.
    It is an Essex engine though. The torque is due to the longer stroke. Was more
    of a truck engine. For all that your doing, I would think a 4.6 V8 would be the
    better way to go. Would like to see what you get out of it -vs- a tuned 3.9
    V6.

3. Lonnie-S

Lonnie-S Member

That's a nice looking engine. I'm looking at photos 9-11 and wondering if you did anything to the crankshaft counterweights? They look like someone went over them with a machine tool of some type.

I'll be interested in everything you post. I have a 2000 3.8L from a Mustang and all the parts (I do need to replace the turbo pistons that came with it) to take it to 4.3L with a slight overbore. In my case, I'm going to have a nearby machine shop do the engine, but I'll be responsible for bringing them all the parts (everything including bolts, gaskets, plugs, etc.). So, I do have to educate myself somewhat, and be smart enough to order the best & correct stuff.

4. Captain Max Silver

Wanted To Go With The V6 Just For The Fact When People See One All Decked Out, The Jaw Drops To The Ground!! LOL V8+Mustang=Big Bucks For Insurance. V6 Not So Much. I'm LQQKING To Pull About 350hp Out Of This. Enough For Me. Maybe A Paxton Later On.

5. Captain Max Silver

If You're LQQKING To Build A 4.3l Stroker You'll Need The Guts Out Of A 4.2L V6. Bore The Same Pistons Different Rods Different, Crank Longer Stroke. That Gives You The 4.3L.

6. Captain Max Silver

Ordered Stud Girdle From Tom Morana In Canada(GREAT GUY). To Install On V6 4.2L. You Must Trim Down Main Caps, Not A Problem Their As Big As On 460 V8 Eng. Just Leveling Off The Tops To Clear Stud Girdle. Arp Studs And Nuts, Make Sure To Ask Him (Tom) To Send All Same Length. Front 2 Are Shorter If Just Using Studs Without Girdle And Stock Oil Pan. Had To Use 4 Wheel Drive V6 Oil Pan For Longer Studs To Fit. See Pics To See What I Mean. Engine Oil Pan fits 1997-2009 Ford F-150 E-150, This Will Save You Some Time. Melling V6 4.2L Oil Pickup Tube. Make Sure All Clears. Put A Piece Of Clay Over Pickup Wrapped In Some Plastic Like A Sandwich Bag And Test Fit Oil Pan. Remove And See How Much Clay Distorted, You've Got To Have Some Room To Pickup Oil.

Attached Files:

7. Captain Max Silver

9-11 That's What A New Out Of Box LQQKS Like. LOL

8. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Man, looking good. As a suggestion, hope you test fit the oil dipstick to make sure it did not hit the crank counter balance disks/weights. Also need to test the oil dipstick to make sure it would slide in and out when the tube is installed and oil pan is in place. Second, hope you turned the crank over with the dip stick tube installed to make sure there is no obstruction. I had an issue with the dipstick being slapped around by the crank counter weights. Almost broke off the bottom of the dipstick. Now, the dipstick is out of the motor 99.99 percent of the time. My builder tapped the top of the inside of the dipstick tube and used the same thread size set screw with a small T welded into the top of the set screw which now acts as the oil dipstick tube plug. The dipstick tube must be plugged to allow for vacuum in the bottom of the crankcase.

9. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Active Member

Nice work that's going to be a sweet power plant.

10. Captain Max Silver

Yes, Test Fitted Dip Stick All Clear!! The Dip Stick Plug Seems Like A Good Idea, Have About .25" Not Fully Seated Down In Neck Of Tube.

11. 08'MustangDude

The 4.0 V6 loves boost. 400 HP is possible with the Stage II Paxton system.
    Too bad it will cost you $5300, yuk...

Still, would like to see this when it's all done. Will be one of the few with the 4.2 V6.

I am waiting for someone to put the Godzilla 7.3 into an S197; it WILL fit.

The REAL eye opener would be the Barra 4.0 I6, they also fit, and are what is in
    the S197s in Australia, and produce more HP stock than the 4.0 V6. Someone
    sold some here before... If the Coyote was a V12, the Barra would be one
    bank, that's how big the heads are...

12. Captain Max Silver

Heads Are Ported And Gasket Matched Along With Lower And Upper Manifolds, All Ported On Lower And As Far As I Could Reach In Upper. Have Phenolic Spacer I Got From (Tom) For The In Between!! Removed And Welded Lower Intake To Remove Air Injectors For EGR System. Nice And Open!! It Took A Lot Of Time To Get These This Far.

Attached Files:

13. Captain Max Silver

Changed Out Valve Springs And Keepers (Comp Cams 26918-12 Beehive Valve Spring LS1/LS2/LS6 Pkg of 12) Melling Keepers Used Stock Upper Retainers Couldn't Find Tool Steel From Comp Cams For Proper Fit. Tried 2 Sets 1 Fit Spring But Not Retainer Other Fit Retainer But Not Spring. (That Sucked) Expensive Failure! But Moved On!!

Attached Files:

14. 08'MustangDude

Just remember, if you are going to polish the ports, do not do the intake
    side. They need to be rough for fuel aromization, and don't remove
    the bridge, or grind it down.

15. Captain Max Silver

Intake Side Of Heads Non-Polished, Thanks But Knew That. Thanks For Info If Someone Else Didn't Know That Fact!! But I'm Installing 24# 12 Pintel Injectors Should Take Care Of Atomization.

16. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

My wife calls these dirty pictures. Ha, I think they are a show of beauty. Great photos and a lot of long hard work. Think you will be well pleased with the engine performance as a result. Thanks for the picture show. Brings back a bunch of great memories.

17. Sideshow Bob

Hi did you machine down a pocket for the bottom of the 918 spring to sit for the right seat pressure I think it's .030 not sure if it's for coil bind also. Anyway good work kind of wish i had welded my lower EGR after looking at yours.

18. Captain Max Silver

A Lot Of Time And Work To Get Them (Just So) LQQKING The Way I Wanted. The Dates On Pics Show How Long I Worked On Them. Not Counting Time I Spent Cleaning Up Outside Of Manifolds So They Will LQQK Perty!!! LOL

19. Captain Max Silver

No I Didn't Shave .030" Out Of Pockets And Also Installed COMP Cams 44-702-9 Xtreme Energy Hyd. Roller Camshaft, Ford 3.8/4.2L, Timing Set-Stock Melling 3-376S, COMP CAMS 851-16 FORD HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS FORD SMALL BLOCK 302 OE STYLE, Manley Push Rod Set 25224-16; 1pc 4130 Chromoly .120" Wall 5/16" 7.250". Scorpion 1.73 R/R, Many More Pics But I'm Tired.

Attached Files:

20. Sideshow Bob

The color of your block is nice I've been trying to choose a color for mine and looking at yours I'm in. Not a fan of stock black or Ford blue. Is it painted to match your 2000 mustang red?