Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Engine 4.2l Upgrade 2000 Mustang Coupe

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Captain Max Silver, May 28, 2019.

1. Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver Captain Max Silver

Well... Almost Eastwood 2k Red Single Use Spray Can. (2K Aerospray High Temp Ceramic Engine Paint Gloss Red. Item #14926Z Only $26.99 Eastwood Pre Painting Prep 32 oz Item #10194ZP
    Only $16.99) This Was A New Old Stock Block Just Packing Oil Finish (Whatever Ford Uses For Anti-Rust) Cleaned Good With Pre-Prep Masked Off And Sprayed With The 2K Aerospray. Came Out Nice, High Gloss, Hope It Will Hold Up Once The Engine Gets Cookin!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Captain Max Silver

Got A Little Ahead Of Myself With The Pics, Sorry.

3. Captain Max Silver

Pulled New Stock 4.2L Camshaft And Timing Set. Replaced With COMP Cams 44-702-9 Xtreme Energy Hyd. Roller Camshaft, Ford 3.8/4.2L, Timing Set-Stock Melling 3-376S, COMP CAMS 851-16 FORD HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS FORD SMALL BLOCK 302 OE STYLE. Foolish Me Didn't Take Any Pics Of That That I Can Find Anyway Thought Sure I Did But Oh Well!! Installed Heads With ARP Studs And Installed Timing Cover Then 4.2l 4 Wheel Drive Oil Pan, As Many As possible Allen Bolts.

Attached Files:

4. Captain Max Silver

Got A Little Ahead In Pics, Make Sure You Check Dipstick Clearance While You Have Oil Pan Off (Don't Want To Hit Crank!) When All Good Button It Up. I Used Allen Bolts On Mine LQQK COOL! (I Think) Installed Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.73 And Over Sized Pushrods From Manley Push Rod Set 25224-16; 1pc 4130 Chrome Moly .120" Wall 5/16" 7.250" Make Sure You Pick Up Some Shims For Under R/R Pedestal These Rockers Are NA For Adjustment, Setup R/R Info At Scorpion How To Adjust. Can't Use Front Vibration Damper (Pulley) From 3.8L To 4.2L. 3.8L External Balance 4.2L Internal Balance! Same With Flywheel, Need Flywheel For 4.2L. Front Pulley:Dorman Part Number: K549GQ 1997-2002 Ford E150 Econoline 4.2L V6 1999 2000. Water Pump Next!

Attached Files:

5. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Active Member

Thanks I read you have ARP head studs I see in the photo it has the larger washers. Did they all come like that and where did you source them?

6. Captain Max Silver

No, They Didn't, Custom ARP Studs Were Given Me By A Friend Who Upgraded With Larger Studs After Machining Block For Larger Studs Do To Twin Turbo Setup He Used On His Machine. Washers Are ARP 200-8748 Special Purpose Washer 7/16" I.D. x .995 O.D. x .120 Thick 10 Pcs Need 12 Can Buy Singles To Make Set. Also Used ARP PTFE Thread Sealer Sealant 1.69 Fluid OZ Squeeze Tube 100-9904 To Get Even Pull Down On All Threads.

7. Sideshow Bob

Thanks Captain good info. I'm on the fence about doing the same as your friend.

8. Captain Max Silver

Don't Know If This Will Help Anyone But 99-00 Lower Intake Differs From 01-04. 99-00 Doesn't Have Vacuum Secondary Ports Like 01-04 Intake Manifold Runner Valve. Easier To Weld Up EGR Ports For Better Blended Air low.

Attached Files:

9. Sideshow Bob

I just did one for a 2004 with JB weld. Bit of a pain still need to gasket match. Your photos will help with that.

10. Captain Max Silver

Mine Are Welded Closed, Others Have Done That JB Weld Thing, I'm Just Ol'e School. LOL You Got Any Pics Of You're Way? I'd Like To See If You Do. Lot Of Work Welding Then Carving Them Out. Mine Aren't Just Gasket Matched Mine Are Opened Up Using Socket Slightly Smaller Than Holes In Gasket, I Forget What Size I Used, Will Have To Check.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. Sideshow Bob

I'm using a windstar intake I will port match what the windstar will let me
    It has o rings not a flat gasket I will set the flat gasket on the windstar match it and transfer that to the lower. Just haven't got that far yet. Will post photos down the road but here are some of the JB job. I stuffed steel wool where the EGR ports were. Where the rod went through the port their was a spring with a ball bearing that held tension on the rod I drilled out where I could push the JB in where it would come out the holes no air pockets at all That JB is some strong stuff. About 12 years ago I pulled the supercharge off my lightning and used it to cover up the sileacer. its still their still loud as hell. 20190517_102803.jpg 20190517_102505.jpg

12. Captain Max Silver

AS Long As It Holds Fast Cool! Let Me Know How It Cleans Up.

13. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

You ought to try to find someone who does plastic welding and do a little fabricating to where you can add a large throttle body. The trick with plastic welding is not the welding process. It does require using the same exact plastic material for welding sticks, patches, and spacers/enlargement pieces.

14. Captain Max Silver

Oil Pump Was Straight Forward, Needed To Pump Up Lifters To Adjust R/R And Pressure Thru Block. (Engine Oil Pump-Stock MELLING M246) Never Used Oil So Light Before 5/30 Castrol. Once Broken In A Little Will Go With Semi- Synthetic. Had A Couple Of Bosch Oil Filters In My Home Shop, Used One For Assembly. Have Oil Cooler Plate And Cooler To Install After All Is Running. Water Pump Next, Used Allen Bolts Anywhere I Could (Like How The LQQK) All 8.8 Grade Or Better. Got A Little Out Of Order But You Get The Point. By The Way I Used A 351 V8 Oil Pump Shaft For Priming Oil Pressure Longer By About An Inch Or So, Drill And Extension And Socket To Spin Pump. Counter Clockwise Direction. Replaced Shaft With New When Installing Cam Sensor. (Sealed Power 224-6176 Engine Oil Pump Shaft Fits 1988-2000 Ford 3.8L 4.2L-V6) Installed Headers With Stainless Studs And Bolts. Just Cleared ARP Studs.

Attached Files:

15. Captain Max Silver

Replaced All Injector Connectors On Harness, cleaned Up Pretty Well. Went Over My Torque Down List, (Again) Just To Make Sure All Tight!.
    Time To Install Top End, Pulled All Tape And Installed Lower/Upper Manifold Gasket, Then Phenolic Spacer, And Upper Intake Manifold Gasket And Upper Manifold. Bought Longer Bolts For This Part. Bolts About 10mm Longer Than Stock Ones. Hard To Find. Make Sure You To Chase Threads On Lower Intake So They're Clean And Make Sure Bolts Don't Bottom Out Before Tight To Manifold. (Add Washer Under Head On Bolt If Too Long) Phenolic Spacer About .375" Thick About 10mm Just To Make Sure I Was Engaged In Threaded Bore Of Each Hole In Lower Manifold, Wanted It To Be Tight. Letting Things Settle Overnight And Torque Down In 24 Hours. Used ARP Assembly Lube On Threads For Even Pull Down.

16. Sideshow Bob

Are those fittings welded to your fuel rail stainless steel? I can't quite make out what weld was used did you Silver solder?
    Phil I'm familiar with plastic weld and you are right the quality of the weld depends on composite makeup. With the Windstar it would be a sketchy process. We could talk about it more in my thread as I don't want to hijack Captain's

17. Captain Max Silver

Not A Problem, Jump In!! Bought SS Bung Ends And Had Them Welded In, Not Much Success, When Pressure Testing Kept Getting Small Seeps Of Air (Used Soapy Water And Air Pressure To Test) Very Frustrating. Couldn't Get Them To Seal, Fed-up I Cut Them Off And Drilled And Tapped For AN Fitting, Seam Good So Far, Only Had One AN Bung Fitting Weld Right, Kept That One. All Else Drill And Tapped, Kept Part Of Welded Bung On For The Tapping Process. Have Spare Fuel Rail Just In Case Though. Red Color Where Pin Hole Are.
    Not Sure What Grade SS Fuel Rail Is Made Of But Real Pain To Try To Weld, Wanted The AN Fuel Lines, LQQK Good, But If I Have to Do It Again I'd Have A Set Of Rails Made Up. Just Really Hard To Find People Willing To Do This Kind Of Custom Work Around Here.

Attached Files:

18. Sideshow Bob

Thanks looks good. The fuel rail is carbon steel. Should be able to use a 308 rod with tig weld. If any of the chrome plating gets in the puddle it can cause pin hole problems. Cool rate of the CS versus SS can promote small cracks.

19. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

20. Sideshow Bob

All three of of those welding methods can working for this application from what I can remember some 30 years ago when I did a lot of cryogenics and high pressure cylinder tubing welds. Silver solder socket weld worked out the best. With that being said the socket to fitting has to be best possible fitment as far as clean, gap, even with one end threaded can cause problems. Theirs a dozen factors that can lead to leaks I believe Silver solder works the best because everything is heated to the same temperature and cooled as one unit.