New engine for a 95 stang...

blind_guardian

I found a 95 v6 convertible that has a knocking engine for $2500. i haven't bought it yet but i'm highly considering it. Could some of you give me a recomendation on what engine to get to replace it - power and reliability taken into consideration. I wouldn't be totally opposed to a rebuild, but i do think it would be cool having a totally new engine in there :)

My AIM name is Brego03 if that's an easier way to talk about it. Thanks for any help.

rick0636

You may be able to find and swap out a 99+ engine, check local yards, Midwest Mustang and others. Its a little more complicated that just putting in another 94-98 but you will gain 40 hp right away too. Just depends on if you are doing it yourself, and if not what the cost of the swap is. If the rest of the car is in good shape that is a great price. I got mine in Feb of 01 it was 8900.

You might also want to look at the possibility of swapping in a 5.0L v8.

blind_guardian

I was hoping that for whatever swap I'd do, i wouldn't have to do any welding. Something that's nearly swap and go..i know it's never that simple but i can dream, can't I?

And if i do all the work myself, how much am i looking at for a new engine, $2000?

rick0636

Well, you might not have to do any welding, mostly a lot of swapping plumbing, wires, maybe extending the wiring. You won't get a "new" engine for that, but you might get a low mileage one from Midwest Mustang or a scrap yard for a lot less than 2K. Click on the Midwest banner ad, if its not showing now then refresh page til it does. See what he has. Also try www.stangparts.com, and as I said local yards. Midwest is in Kansas, and www.stangparts.com is in Winder GA.

snake96

5.0 engines are a dime a dozen .
you will need Engine,computer with wire harness, a new clutch
and bellhousing to match the 5.0 . the 3.8 tranny and 7.5 rear will work , But , dont do any hardcore racing.
and a fan control box that bolts on the front of the radiator.
throttle cable. this should be under $2,000.00

Brooks00

if its between the 94/95 5.0 and the 99+ 3.8's, no question the 3.8, its a few hundred pounds lighter, can get a new one for about 650$, and puts out 190hp/220tq vs the 5.0 94/95 5.0 which would be considerably more then 600$, and have a good amount of ware on the 215hp engine... However a crate 5.0 engine from ford is a completly different story, but then your looking at about 3000$.

blind_guardian

good point..i didn't think much about the issue from the weight standpoint. but hell at this point i can't even get ahold of the guy with the car though :( Holiday weekends are a pain when trying to do business.