Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Gauge Cluster replacement lens, modifying a 99-04 for use on 94-98

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Art_B, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Art_B

Art_B New Member

New replacement gauge cluster lenses are not available for first gen (94-98) SN95 Mustangs. However, replacement lenses ARE available for the second gen (99-04) New Edge cars. The lens "looks" identical, and the mounting holes are the same, but my research says that the "difference/change" lies with the "Odometer Reset Button" being different. I'm not sure, but I believe in the 99-04 lens the reset button is longer and sticks out further on the back.

A website that sells replacement lenses call Carbon Driven states that the 99-04 lens can be used on a 94-98 car, but mentions this: Ford factory oem 1999-2004 XR3Z-10890-AA will fit Mustangs from 1996-1998 with minor modification to trip odometer pin on your dash gauge cluster.

1996-1998 Mustang Dash Cluster Lens

However, they do not go into detail as to what "modification" needs to be done.

I was wondering if anyone on this site has done the modification and could share/explain what is involved?

Thanks,
    Art

2. Pete fender

Pete fender Pete Fender

I've not done this, but it may be that you have to extend the odometer button a bit, so it pushes the button inside the cover.
    A drop of Super Glue, and a small piece of plastic.

3. Art_B

Art_B New Member

Oh really, I was thinking it was the other way around, that the revised lens had a "longer" reset button. Heck, if what you're saying is true, that shouldn't be all that difficult to modify. Thanks for the info, much appreciated...

Also thinking out loud, I wonder if the rest button shaft itself could be swapped out from my old lens...?