Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Mustangs vs 99+

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Kstang, Dec 7, 2004.

1. QuikStang01Lx

QuikStang01Lx DiscountMotorsports.net

their argument is in reguards to auto x.

Straight line....v8 > v6
    Autocross the v6 can win

2. blainestang

blainestang 3 Mustangs, 0 Spoilers

:D

3. bluestang00us

bluestang00us New Member

We actually had this discussion at my local shop and the owner there is more into autocrossing (he runs NASA, Amer Iron East) than drag racing, although most of his customers like the 1/4 much better. Anywho, he told me with the trq my V6 makes (not too bad considering the hp is kinda down) and its weight that my car would be a hella good autcrosser with some suspension goodies (bone stock as is, save for bullitt shocks/struts). I told him I was game if he'd sponsor and pay for it all. Suffice it to say that I am still sponsorless. :lol:

4. ndotym

ndotym New Member

Mustangs are good handing cars out of the box all not just the 6's but with a little less weight between the shock towers, the 6 has a advantage, but if you invest $$$$ like the kenny brown Green monster or one of Steeda's cars thats another story, average joe looking to have a low budget get out and have some fun, go to a driving school get the training now what you car can do and what it will do in a emergency and you will enjoy it much more. The 6 was not design for full out assult, it's a all around car, easy to insure, good on gas great to look at and easy to mod. its Fords bread and butter...and lets not forget the 99+ are no slouch....our cars will run triple digits...

5. Dutch

Dutch New Member

It's not the 2 more cylinders that matter, it's the 49 cubic inches of extra discplacement.

6. fasteach

fasteach New Member

saw a 05 convert on the net. it looks very good. but that lime green ugh!

7. ScottyP5947

ScottyP5947 New Member

I'm going to Maui for my Honeymoon in three weeks and I have a rental '05 convertable waiting for me at the airport. I can't wait! Last time I was there I was happy about the '02 vert I drove, it was (?way) faster than my old 3.8 in my '95. The only thing I don't like about the new '05 cars is the INTERIOR!! I like the cockpit feel of the older style. Other than that, I love those cars. Maybe I'll get one as a wedding present? :lol:
    Yeah F'n right!
    Scott

8. jsheehan

jsheehan Legend Lime Man

I don't know exactly what you are talking about with the interior of the new mustangs. They still have the same cockpit feel. The quality and fit is also way better. Most people usually say that the interior of the SN-95 mustangs is a low point. Have you actually been inside a 2005 mustang?

9. ScottyP5947

ScottyP5947 New Member

Well I have been inside one, but my time was limited. Either way, I DO NOT LIKE the new interior. Thanks for your opinion. Maybe when I get more seat time in one my mind will change. As for "most people" having a problem with the SN-95 interior, I love it. I don't mold my opinon based on the experience of "most people".
    Thanks,
    Scott

10. jsheehan

jsheehan Legend Lime Man

I just think that if you sit in both cars, and take a look around, you'll definately see what I mean about fitment. A few key areas to notice are the area where the door and the dash come together when the door is closed. There are some very large gaps on SN-95 mustangs, while everthing appears much tighter and better fitting on the S197s. Also, something that really bugged me about both the SN-95s I had (98 and 02) was the passenger side dash area where the air-bag would deploy. That little section was kind of lose, and you could pull up on the corner of it and it would come off slightly on both of the cars I had. As far as the style goes, I never had a problem with the SN-95s interior styling, but I love the new styling. The few things that really do it for me in the mustang are the guages, the three-spoke steering wheel, the round AC vents, and chrome rongs around the vents and guages. Also, all three mustags I've had came with cloth seats, and the cloth seats in the new mustang are much more supportive and comfortable than in both of my previous cars.

All of this is my opinion, and yours may very well disagree with mine, which is ok. Just givng you my little mini review of the interior. It might be one of those things that has to grow on you. I know when i first saw phoos of the new mustangs, I thought Ford had totally screwed up, but as I got used to it, i began to like them more and more. Of course when I saw one in person, that sealed it for me. The same with the color of my car. I hated it when I first saw it, but the more I saw it, the more I started liking it. I'm just saying you might want to give the interior a second chance, especially since your first impression was limited.

11. ScottyP5947

ScottyP5947 New Member

Hey trust me, I am looking foreward to 10 days seat time in an '05 'vert very soon! I will take a look at those things you mention, I do appreciate a nice and tight interior; I love/own several German cars that have fine interiors I just assumed that there was no such thing in an American car! :D That would be nice to see.
    Scott

12. mason

mason New Member

What about the top end? stock & modded, 3.8 & 4.0

13. 96_convt

96_convt MACHINE

I just wish ford would create a sooped up v6 to sell as a drop in replacement in their ford racing mag or something so people like us who would want a throatyer v6 could get one, i'm tired of running 16.6's :cry: :cry:, i mean you can be the 00 cobra motor and 6speed tranny for 6 grand from them.

14. fasteach

fasteach New Member

wuth gas going to hit $3+, i look for more v6 performance options. european cars have performance and get good mileage. i still like the overall looks of my 2000. the thing that i did to better the interior is to add color. my interior is tan, while my exterior is black, so i added alot of black accents. it looks 100% better.

15. 6BlackStang

6BlackStang 22

I raced an 05 on the freeway from about 60-65 roll and I slowly pulled on him. Keep in mind I do have a cai, udp, and dual exhaust.

16. tomzac

tomzac 232 or 330

Does anyone know the drag coeffient of the 99-04 body style and the 05? I would think the blunt front end of this retro style will also carry a retro aerodynamic figure. (ei. the faster you go, the more power that is required to overcome air resistance.)

17. fasteach

fasteach New Member

how did you get your hood scoop functional? does it feed into the maf of is just used to cool the engine, cobra style?

18. generic

generic New Member

I'd say that's true for the 05 GT with extra valves and fords version of variable valve timming, but for the most part, it can come down to driver and go either way. One advantage that a v6 import has is a higher RPM and top end pull. I've read so many 99-04 Mustang GT vrs 350Z wars and it can go both ways. I'd choose the stang GT cause I hate the new Nissan, but I'd take a good TT 300ZX over any of them.

19. ShootToThrill

ShootToThrill Bah-gawk!

If FORD wants their V8 to stay at the heels of the big boys then they need to put more bang for the buck into HP in my opinion. Sorry but lilttle over 300HP is nothing compared to the GTO or Charger. There's just no comparison in a true blue V8 vs the pony V8. Base models at least. Put mods into any POS car and it can be fast.

By far FORD wins on looks for the new mustang. Tho GTO and Charger make me want to vomit. But that's about all FORD has on those cars. Looks.

20. blainestang

blainestang 3 Mustangs, 0 Spoilers

Actually, the '05 GT is just as fast or faster (according to Motor Trend's most recent comparo) than the Hemi Charger (non-SRT8), and considering the base price for the GTO is ~$7-8k more than a GT, is makes sense that it is significantly faster. But guess what, how much did an '04 Cobra cost... yep, same as the GTO... and the Mustang is significantly faster than even the 400hp LS2 GTO.